PDA

View Full Version : Cheeap Flights

Mini Martyn
6th January 2004, 07:46 AM
Has any body got any tips on cheap flights to london heathrow?

I have been searching the net but the cheapest i can find is about £60 / £70, i am planning on going on the 30th Jan and coming back the 1st Feb.

Any help would be great as these internet sites are not all that great.

duncan
6th January 2004, 07:53 AM
If that's return, then that is cheap!
What airline is that with?
You'll only get the 99p fares flying into Stanstead, or Luton, and then theres the Tax, and Landing Charges on top.

minidriver#1
6th January 2004, 08:34 AM
a trip to soho eh? ;) ;) slapper. i'm pretty sure easyjet were doing £17 return from Glasgow to Gatwick

Burple
6th January 2004, 08:38 AM
yeah like KJ says... try Easyjet... Or Ryanir
I got to Dublin from Edinburgh for £21.. including all the tax and stuff :D

GAJ
6th January 2004, 05:01 PM
You won't get cheaper than that now. BA have cheaper flights but only when you book a couple of months earlier. Same goes with British Midland. I would jump at the £60 odd quid tickets as the full price is nearer £250 for an open ticket!

Wul
6th January 2004, 05:44 PM
Yup - last year i got 2 return flights edinburgh to gatwick for £70 - but only by booking 6 months in advance - i'd snap up those £60/70 flights before the only ones left are the expensive ones!

Easyjet or gofly.com

Wul
6th January 2004, 06:00 PM
Ba.com just came up with £58.90. - only £30 for the flights and the rest in taxes etc!:eek:

British Midland came up with £50.90 - with the same value in taxes!

Sleasyjet to stanstead is £35.98

Ryanair to stanstead is £28.84

:)

GAJ
6th January 2004, 07:33 PM
You'll find that the cheap tickets that are left will be on planes at reaaly rubbish times that nobody wants to travel at - arriving London really late and leaving really early.
The convenient times will be more expensive. Market forces and all that!

GAJ
6th January 2004, 07:43 PM
I just got 2 tickets to Barcelona from Newcastle for £67.96 each!
Thats quite cheap!

(edit Edinburgh, Newcastle, it's an easy mistake to make!)

Monsta Mo Mini
6th January 2004, 08:55 PM
Where from?

GAJ
6th January 2004, 08:56 PM
Easyjet!

GAJ
6th January 2004, 08:57 PM
Not going till 20 May though!

Monsta Mo Mini
6th January 2004, 10:25 PM
Globespan are doing cheap flights direct from Edinburgh from April!

GAJ
6th January 2004, 10:47 PM
Only 2 a week though, didn't suit her ladyship!

Wul
6th January 2004, 11:08 PM
Calum - did that one already - for return flights your looking at about £239 per couple, return.

But you can go direct to Nice for about £100 each return :D

euan
7th January 2004, 06:53 PM
having done the flight thing EVERY week for a year, 60 quid with a proper airline is great. I flew BMI all the time, like them very much. planes don't always leave on time (but they never do I have discovered) but are near enough always on time when they land. Is it a social or buisness trip? Always willing to pass on some places worth going to I've found since I've been down here.

Mini Martyn
7th January 2004, 07:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

having done the flight thing EVERY week for a year, 60 quid with a proper airline is great. I flew BMI all the time, like them very much. planes don't always leave on time (but they never do I have discovered) but are near enough always on time when they land. Is it a social or buisness trip? Always willing to pass on some places worth going to I've found since I've been down here.

Social trip (going to see my Girlfreind) any places for dinner would be a great help thanks.

I think if i can book at £60 each time i will be quids in, as I was on the net the other night for about 1/2 hrs trying to find cheaper flights with no luck, thanks for everyones help and advise.

euan
8th January 2004, 12:21 AM
Where about are you looking places? I know some good places beside the West End (around Covent Garden as my work is right next to it), and some great ones in Wimbledon (seeing as I live there) and my other half stayed up in Clapham for a bit so can get some good places from her if they are any use.

Seeing as I was on expenses I've become a master of finding places that are good to eat for 25 quid a head so they are not hideously expensive either!

Monsta Mo Mini
8th January 2004, 02:14 AM
Belgos in Covent Garden is a great night out. We ended up in there for our Crimbo night out last year.

Mini Martyn
8th January 2004, 02:15 AM
Well she lives in Uxbridge but I am willing to travel into Central London for some good food them we could go clubing after, so any sugestions would be great, no real price range - shes worth it??!! ;)

euan
8th January 2004, 07:43 PM
Places in or around Covent Garden that are good -

Boulevard Brasserie - very nice food, good atmosphere. I'm not really doing it justice, it's very nice.
Sarastros - it's done up to look like a theatre, with the upstairs being booths round the room to look like boxes. Watch out in the toilets - they have been painted with, ehem, how should I put it, fairly graffic scenes of "pleasuring". One involves the devil doing it doggie style. Still, the food is good.
Belgos is good, but not so good for a nice dinner for two. It's mostly bench seats unless you pre-book. The beer menu along is worth it, and they were doing lunch for a fiver (beer and a main course)
Navajo Joes - This place does fantasic steaks (amongst other stuff). It's not the quietest place in the world as it's open plan to the bar downstairs, but the food is good and you can always lounge about in the bar with a drink afterwards. If your going clubbing, it may not be a bad place to go, it has a bit of a pre-club atmosphere.
Simburgh on Garrick Street is really great - it's a Moroccan type place which does stew type things. It's actually quite authentic, When I was in Morocco the food was similar, with less choice (you get lamb tagine or chicken tagine in morocco, thats about it). Had my first dinner with my other half there so it has a bit of a connection to me, but my folks have been and they said it was great too.

there are a couple of other places down from Navajo Joes as well, a french place I've been to thats good, but i wouldn't be rushing back. Nothing wrong with it, just better places nearby. Wagamama is great for lunch or a quick dinner, but nothing romantic about it at all!

None of these places will break the bank, and all are in or around Covent Garden. You can spend a fortune in there in some places, don't think it's worth it half the time.

Hope that helps!

Mini Martyn
8th January 2004, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all your help Euan very much appreciated, I will let you know how I get on if we get their. ;)

KenL
8th January 2004, 11:53 PM
I'm off to Amsterdam next weekend. £70 each return from Edi including taxes.

Wul
9th January 2004, 12:11 AM
Amsterdam eh!?

Wonder what your goin there for http://www.aimface.com/ikons/IKONe9f363a63864d90215b3ed0f49e04c10a4982f4619.gif

;):D

GAJ
9th January 2004, 12:53 AM
I'm off to Prague on the 23rd - direct from Edinburgh. Dunno how much the tickets were cos Cheryl booked, so probably £1,000,000 each, plus tax!
But my pal told me that if you stay on the tram all the way to the depot it's only 35p a pint. It's a dodgy boozer in Czech Pilton but that's a cheap pint!

euan
9th January 2004, 01:09 AM
I loved Prague when I was there, would go back in a minute. The trasport system is brilliant - the trams run to the timetable religiously, the tubes are the same. Great place to walk about in. And the drink.....Ah! Heaven! We lost half a day in a bar in the sunshine by the river.

3GGG
9th January 2004, 01:19 AM
I'm very envious:p

We had a great time in Prague as well, arrived just as the great floods subsided, which meant that there were very few crowds and the city had made all the public transport free. :)

Superb restaurant half way up the funicular railway to the top of Petrin Hill.

Some photos we took at http://www.gm4jjj.co.uk/Prague/index.html

(You will probably find Page 2 slightly more interesting)

euan
9th January 2004, 01:27 AM
I was amazed, we went the first week in May last year and the place was just spotless. Amazing to think that a year before it was such a mess. It was all rebuilt and looking stunning.

We found a lot of places were really busy (for dinner) and that you were sometimes better booking first. I don't suppose it'll be that bad this time of year though! I loved the guards at the castle and the Thunderbird music!