PDA

View Full Version : Runflat warning

Sheilz
15th November 2006, 07:23 AM
Had to get new tyres fitted today. Mechanic/fitter was quite alarmed that there were no sensors on the tyre valves which made me wonder, should there be? where the hell have they gone? and if not, how the hell does the system work?
Late afternoon went over a pothole and a couple of miles later the runflatwarning came on. This has happened a lot lately. I always check my tyres when this happens just in case and invariably get different readings. Today I just reset the darned light having just done a few miles on new tyres etc, etc. Is this worth a visit to JC?

Sweeney
15th November 2006, 07:24 AM
Its a rotation based sensor than a pressue sensor. It monitors the rolling radius or whatever of each wheel and if ones punctured or loses pressure it picks it up... Mine worked fine as soon as a screw popped out my tyre it bonged and lit up straight away well in advance of losing most of my control :p

Burple
15th November 2006, 07:25 AM
Calm yourself.. take a deep breath :D:D

The runflat system works in a different way..something to do with differences in height from the ground.. or something.. can't remember exactly off hand, but nowt to be alarmed about. sure somebody else will be along soon to confirm :D:cool:

[edit]: Er, yer.. wot he says ^ ;):p

duncan
15th November 2006, 07:36 AM
Remember, however, if all the tyres deflate at a similar rate, then the rotational speed will be similar of all the tyres, and not be detected by the RFD.

john
15th November 2006, 08:33 AM
Judging by what you told me today about the tyre fitter Im surprised he has even heard of run-flats or even sensors:eek:

bigcoyote
15th November 2006, 11:00 AM
Hey all,

The runflat / air press. warning uses the ABS / Traction Control sensors ( I think ):p
It monitors the rotation of the wheels and if one is turning faster than the rest ( smaller tire diameter = low air press. ) then the light turns on.
Mine normally does not go off untill there is at least a 10psi drop in the tire.

There are no sensors in or on the wheels / tires that I know of.

That being said - was the tire shop still lit by oil lanterns or did they upgrade to electric lights yet:D

Neil and Lorna
15th November 2006, 05:29 PM
Sheilz

I hope it wasn't the same tyre fitters that did your tyre before Oxford in April. :eek::eek:

Neil.:D:D

X30YES
15th November 2006, 06:53 PM
"That being said - was the tire shop still lit by oil lanterns or did they upgrade to electric lights yet":p:D.

Sheilz ....seems all the high mileage you do is starting to tell you something :eek:me thinks ;)

AndyP & Lenore
15th November 2006, 07:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Remember, however, if all the tyres deflate at a similar rate, then the rotational speed will be similar of all the tyres, and not be detected by the RFD.

So if the cops try to stop you with a Stinger, you won't even know you've been stung.:D

A.:D

duncan
15th November 2006, 10:43 PM
The flashing blue lights are normally a give away in that case!

Sheilz
16th November 2006, 07:30 AM
Went back to the garage this am and got the pressure checked. They were all reading slightly different! This happens to me all the time :blackeye: so think I'll get JC to check out the warning system. Just wonder how accurate these machines are!

P.S.
Garage had electricity ;)
Wasnt same one as before Oxford Run :dead:
Mechanic said he didn't know that the new mini had that kind of system,more sophisticated than in other cars. Guess they haven't had much new mini customers. Suppose some tyre fitters might have thought along the same lines as him but just kept silent - and nae doubt would argue black and white that yep the sensors were there when they put the tyre on ;)

Sheilz
21st November 2006, 07:45 AM
Runflat system triggered again at the weekend. Found the tiniest leak at the side of one of the tyres put on at Colin's Tyres. I do remember Fiona once commenting that she wouldn't let these guys near her wheels. I think I will be joining her. Wouldn't believe a pair of relatively new tyres could have been so much damned bother. Causewayend appeared to have more up-to-date equipment for putting on these 'very hard to put on' tyres. They were also just marginally dearer than Colin's - £120 per tyre, though that was with 10 percent discount.