PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - mini Vs merc (MINI wins, the end)

ianking
12th November 2006, 03:02 AM
Today Sarah and I went out looking to get a couple of trade in prices for her mini convertible as she fancies getting a new R56 cooper. We have decided what it is she wants spec wise and the trade in prices are not too bad although we have allready worked one of the dealers we visited up a wee bit from their first offer.
Anyway on our way home we took a detour passed the Merc garage as Sarah has had a fancy recently towards the new shape A class. We really were not sure until we took one for a drive. The only car they had to demo was an A150 3dr Classic which is the very basic version and yet it was really well specced and drove really nice. Very different from a mini (no rattles at all) and now we are not sure which car to buy. Particularly as the Merc dealer has a fully loaded 06 plate A200D 5dr with leather and telephone etc which may be in Sarahs price range.
We are thinking do we really need 2 minis and would it be better to have a car with some more space in it for when we are taking friends. We will still have my mini remember. Or do we go and get a nice R56.
This morning we were all for the R56 but now that we are home from the Merc garage we are just not sure.

Your thoughts please

Sweeney
12th November 2006, 03:11 AM
I think you know the answer but just want the rest of us to confirm it :p

I would opt for the merc, more space, comfort and luxury (compared to the mini), although ive not sat my arse in a new mini yet...

ianking
12th November 2006, 03:20 AM
I have now sat my arse in both and its a difficult decision

Sweeney
12th November 2006, 03:24 AM
Need to look at how long you plan on having it too then i suppose, residuals, long term running costs, servicing etc.

ianking
12th November 2006, 03:26 AM
Yes I believe residual isnt as good with the merc. My mates uncle is service manager at Western Merc so he has said he will do me a discount on services. Mind you the mini costs nothing to service

SpongeBob
12th November 2006, 03:35 AM
Have you spoke to Broony,Ian?Maybe Do u a Deal?

ianking
12th November 2006, 03:38 AM
He doesnt start till monday but I will phone him Monday morning, you never know he might get his first deal before monday lunch time

N12 JLK
12th November 2006, 04:45 AM
R56 nice big S

Scottie
12th November 2006, 05:08 AM
well Ian we sat in a FFRR TDV8 today and took it a test drive whoohoo what a machine but I'd rather have my mellow yellow cooper.

Mini Me
12th November 2006, 08:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

He doesnt start till monday but I will phone him Monday morning, you never know he might get his first deal before monday lunch time

MINI :question::question::question:
MERCEDES:D:D:D:D:D

you know it makes sense , call me monday Ian ;)

Scottie
12th November 2006, 08:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Only Me

MINI :question::question::question:
MERCEDES:D:D:D:D:D

you know it makes sense , call me monday Ian ;)

Iain you could'nae do that to them a A class is for the over 60's:D;):p Have you seen the folk that drive them;)

OBN
12th November 2006, 08:32 AM
You're right you don't 'need' two Minis, personally I won't go for the A-class but think you're right to have one 'family' car and one fun car

james f
12th November 2006, 10:11 AM
hmmm having never driven anything apart from the mini and my folks scoobys it would be hard for me to say but id opt for the mini puerly cos i think i would get bored of a merc but thats just me

X30YES
12th November 2006, 02:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by SpongeBob

Have you spoke to Broony,Ian?Maybe Do u a Deal?;):p:D:D:D

Craig
12th November 2006, 09:09 PM
If it was my money and you were really thinking about trading the convertible and you don't really NEED or WANT another mini, I wouldn't buy an A Class. More down to image than anything else, as someone else says, nearly everyone you see driving them is over 50..

Wait til you drive the new R56 before you make your decision, it is much better screwed together and the build quality looks much better..

Mercs drop like a stone in the first 2 years... well, more than a MINI anyway... ;)

Gismo
12th November 2006, 09:24 PM
If you're at all unsure ;) i would wait until you've sat in and tried the new R56.
There's no way the Merc is ever gonna handle like the Mini :p

Mini Me
12th November 2006, 10:16 PM
to be fair i havn't driven the r56 or the new a class, but practicality rules out the MINI, but as far as i know you have no kids:question::question:
best idea is drive the new a class and the r56 then you will know the Merc is better:p:p:p:p:evil:

runs for cover

ianking
13th November 2006, 01:03 AM
We are going to drive the R56 as soon as its available. Want to make up our mind next weekend. We were both very impressed with the A class when we drove it. Its nothing like the old A class. If we go A class then we want a better model so that it looks less like granny mobile. The A class certainly didnt rattle and the quality of the finish was excellent. It was like my old 1 series.
However I am told the new R56 will be much more like a 1 series in quality so we will wait and see.

euan
13th November 2006, 01:44 AM

to be fair i havn't driven the r56 or the new a class, but practicality rules out the MINI, but as far as i know you have no kids:question::question:
best idea is drive the new a class and the r56 then you will know the Merc is better:p:p:p:p:evil:

runs for cover

Two months the argument would have gone the other way :) Pah, salesmen! ;)

Mini Me
13th November 2006, 02:30 AM
drive em both, i know i would:p
i aint driven any off em.....

stoney
13th November 2006, 03:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

Mercs drop like a stone in the first 2 years... well, more than a MINI anyway... ;)

oi :p:eek:

but any way i would go for a mini i had a merc a class for a week and hated it was glad 2 see the back of it !!!

Mini Me
13th November 2006, 03:27 AM
new new A Class is "supposed " to be superb.

markyc
13th November 2006, 03:57 AM

We are going to drive the R56 as soon as its available. Want to make up our mind next weekend. We were both very impressed with the A class when we drove it. Its nothing like the old A class. If we go A class then we want a better model so that it looks less like granny mobile. The A class certainly didnt rattle and the quality of the finish was excellent. It was like my old 1 series.
However I am told the new R56 will be much more like a 1 series in quality so we will wait and see.

It is indeed, quality is suuuperb :approve::approve::approve: If you guys end up going with the Merc don't be hasty and let the Broonster get his feet under his new shiney desk, i'm sure he'll sort you with a supersmashingreat deal :eek::approve::approve::p:I;)

AndyP & Lenore
13th November 2006, 04:01 AM
I can see your argument about wanting a more practical car. But an A class? Haven't driven one so it's not really a fully objective opinion, but we did have an ML 270 and it's value did drop like a stone. Lost thousands over two years.

As for John R Weir, can't fault them. Or Mercedes for that matter. Once we'd bought the ML, Mercedes kept appearing at the bottom of the grid for reliability and dealership service, but in two years our ML was in the garage for one thing only.... We noticed our brakes were doing a bit of scraping and squealing. We asked them to have a look at them. Called me 2 hours later and apologised that the car would take another couple of hours to fix, 'cos they were replacing all discs and pads on the car under warranty. Car had done 14,000miles and was 20 months old. Try getting BMW to do that.

A.:approve:

Scottie
13th November 2006, 04:33 AM
Ian if you do decide to go with Merc don't go to Grangemouth I'll get you a better deal from Inverness banch.:eek:;) honestly I will:cool: my old boss works there:p:p

minimadg
13th November 2006, 06:19 AM
mini all the way r56 legend.go on u know u wanna:D:cool:

The Dogfather
13th November 2006, 04:53 PM
More practical car than the MINI :question: Smart Forfour Brabus!

Quicker than an S, easily seats four (hence the name) 30+ mpg, handles as well as a MINI. I biased BTW :D

ianking
13th November 2006, 05:56 PM
I found a nice used 05 plate A150 Avantgarde with 8k on the Auto trader for a crazy low price of £11k. Thats worth a look surely.

The Dogfather
13th November 2006, 06:58 PM
A150? That'll be underpowered

ianking
13th November 2006, 07:28 PM
We drove an A150 at the weekend and it was actually no bad at all. Sarah only does about 5 miles a day anyway and she doesnt like to drive fast. I wanted the A200Turbo but decided that would be wasted on her

euan
13th November 2006, 08:03 PM
5 miles a day? Save the 11K and buy her a bike :)

Mini Me
14th November 2006, 04:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Ian if you do decide to go with Merc don't go to Grangemouth I'll get you a better deal from Inverness banch.:eek:;) honestly I will:cool: my old boss works there:p:p

Thorne :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
You and me will be avin words :evil:

Ian, give me a call mate:I

Scottie
14th November 2006, 04:31 AM

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Thorne :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
You and me will be avin words :evil:

Ian, give me a call mate:I

Ha Ha

How was day 1 ???

Mini Me
14th November 2006, 04:37 AM
feckin mind bendin[v][v], really nice place tho, very proffesional :p

Scottie
14th November 2006, 04:39 AM

feckin mind bendin[v][v], really nice place tho, very proffesional :p

aye there is few spec options for merc's just like Mini but cost more £££££

Crombers
14th November 2006, 07:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Quicker than an S, easily seats four (hence the name) 30+ mpg, handles as well as a MINI. I biased BTW :D

Note : Nothing mentioned about what 'looks' best ;)

euan
14th November 2006, 07:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

Aye, he's fair smitten with his dinky toy :)

weefossy
14th November 2006, 07:25 AM
Ian, Sioban had the old A class, it was very boring and wasn't as solid as the mini. Couldn't corner at any pace. We lost a fortune when we sold it to buy first new mini. I agree with comments that you don't need 2 minis, but there is a lot better than the A class out there. I prefer the C class and love the A3 sport back.

KenL
14th November 2006, 07:53 AM
I agree that 2 MINIs may not be ideal but there may be better cars out there for your money. How about a nice Golf or A3 for starters?

ianking
14th November 2006, 05:50 PM
We have thought about a golf or an audi. Sarah's sister has a mk5 golf so were no getting one of them cause she would just say we were copying her. However her golf is just a 1.6 S where as we would probably get a GTTDI 140 just to wind her sister up.
Yes the old A class was terrible to drive as I have driven several in the past when I used to deliver cars as a student. The new one however is like night and day difference to drive.
we have had a good trade in price from Merc as well. More than mini offered. Wont make up our mind until we drive the new mini at the weekend.

AndyP & Lenore
14th November 2006, 06:17 PM

We have thought about a golf or an audi. Sarah's sister has a mk5 golf so were no getting one of them cause she would just say we were copying her. However her golf is just a 1.6 S where as we would probably get a GTTDI 140 just to wind her sister up.
Yes the old A class was terribly to drive as I have driven several in the past when I used to deliver cars as a student. The new one however is like night and day difference to drive.
we have had a good trade in price from Merc as well. More than mini offered. Wont make up our mind until we drive the new mini at the weekend.It'l be a new MINI then.:D:D

A.:D

SarahMunro
15th November 2006, 01:40 AM
Decisions decisions. I'm all confussed about cars at the moment but whatever I choose i'm sure it will be the right decision (fingers crossed!)

Will make up my mind at the weekend. I'm fond of both cars. Thought I would dislike the A Class but it was really nice to drive and much more room! The mini however is fun to drive!

Will see you all on Friday at menzies and will let you know on Sunday my (not Ian's :p) decision.

Mini Me
15th November 2006, 02:53 AM
GIVE ME A PHONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know what the deal is ans i WILL do my best to beat it....... :I:I:I

only a phone call away 01324 666100:)

The Dogfather
15th November 2006, 05:19 PM

I reckon the Brabus looks pretty good, it's not cute like a MINI but its still a good looking car.

When was the last time a group of kids came up to your motor to tell you it was cool:question: It happened to me last month, it gets a lot of looks, probably because there's so few of them.

ianking
15th November 2006, 05:40 PM
Will give you a call this morning Ian

ianking
15th November 2006, 06:23 PM
Thats Broon on the job now

SarahMunro
15th November 2006, 07:38 PM

What have I told you about talking about people's personal life!! :p

SpongeBob
15th November 2006, 09:43 PM

oohh don't give me that thought please

Big Col
15th November 2006, 10:46 PM

I have now sat my arse in both and its a difficult decision

Both must have wide seats! :D

Mon the fish
16th November 2006, 03:36 AM

When was the last time a group of kids came up to your motor to tell you it was cool:question:

Happens all the time cos I drive a Mini :D

In Ullapool I overheard 2 guys saying that my car was the best colour of Mini, and that my wheels were fantastic :D

The Dogfather
16th November 2006, 04:49 PM
I used to drive a MINI and a good looking one at that. I never had anyone come up to me about the car.

euan
16th November 2006, 06:01 PM

I used to drive a MINI and a good looking one at that. I never had anyone come up to me about the car.

I had it a few times - a Japanese tourist on Princes Street jumped out and took a picture (this was when the car had just been released) and then again, a very foxy young lady commented on how good the car looked. I had a few chats in petrol Stations too.

The Dogfather
16th November 2006, 06:17 PM
Yes, but with MINIs being more common it doesn't happen any more, bit like the flashing thing

ianking
16th November 2006, 06:55 PM
All this is great but you guys are not helping with the dilema of Mini Vs Merc.
We were passing the Merc garage again last night and stopped for a quick look in again at the A class. We do like it.

The Dogfather
16th November 2006, 07:05 PM
If its a straight choice between an A Class and a MINI then,

IT HAS TO BE A MINI

A Classes are for old people like BS and Angus :eek:

ianking
16th November 2006, 07:09 PM
Both the cars seem to be working out at the same price per month as they are both the same price to buy.
Obviously the Merc doesnt include servicing though.
Sarah likes the Merc as she feels higher up in it. She is only 5ft and a whole half inch so she needs all the help she can get to see over the steering wheel.
However the new mini looks smart and as long as they have made sure it doesnt rattle and have as many faults as the currect model then it should be good.

The Dogfather
16th November 2006, 07:17 PM
Simple buy her a booster cushion and get the MINI :D

Mon the fish
17th November 2006, 04:11 AM
If you get the A class you'll be married and have kids within the year.

DON'T DO IT!!! Stay young and free! :D

euan
17th November 2006, 06:36 PM
Well, seeing as I helped it get off topic (sorry!) I'll try and add something useful back again...

Merc - Higher up, more practical, Sarah likes it, but Merc build quality has slipped a bit (although I hear it's getting better again)
MINI - brand new, exclusive (for about a month), character, Sarah doesn't like it so much

Now, seeing as it's her car, I'm thinking the Merc would be a better bet. However, that ignores the irrationality we all have when it comes to the Mini. So, the head says Merc, the heart says MINI.

ianking
18th November 2006, 01:10 AM
I say mini but its really up to the wee lass

ianking
18th November 2006, 07:19 AM
Yes Mini wins in the end.
New Mini has every thing sorted that Sarah didnt like about the old model. So much softer over the bumps yet still handles lovely. More room inside and a better quality of finish. And it never rattled either when we went over bumps. New car arives mid Jan. Cant wait

sedgie
18th November 2006, 07:20 AM
new mini that good????

ianking
18th November 2006, 07:26 AM
Yes it really is a big improvement.
Going for sparkling silver with same colour roof and mirrors. Cooper, chilli pack, parking sensors, multi function wheel, piano black interior, chrome interior, half cream leather, white lights.

sedgie
18th November 2006, 07:34 AM
:eek:nice one...:D...i'll wait n see....dinnae think i'll get my cheque book oot yet!....but glad you made yer mind up!;):D:D

Duncan Stewart
19th November 2006, 04:13 AM
The new car sounds fab :D Well done Ian & Sarah - you know its the right choice ;) Looking forward to seeing it on a run

N12 JLK
19th November 2006, 04:42 AM
You know it makes sense Rodders;)

minimadg
19th November 2006, 10:08 AM
good one peeps canny wait tae see it :D