PDA

View Full Version : European Run

minidriver#1
2nd January 2004, 10:59 PM
would anyone be interested if i was to arrange a European run for the summer of 2005? Say a week in length or something? Its a bit audacious but i reccon it would be awsome.

macblob
3rd January 2004, 02:22 AM
Sounds interesting, but could be a lot of work to organise, mind you if a few people got involoved it would be do able. Sounds good to me

seany
3rd January 2004, 04:00 AM
see what happians, put me down as a maybe.

Kirsty
3rd January 2004, 04:18 AM
Hmmmm, sounds good!!:) Put me down as a maybe too!!!:D

minidriver#1
3rd January 2004, 05:45 AM
i helped organise i coach trip across eastern Europe ; Germany and Poland 8 years ago. lol. So i'll see what happens. I can come up with a provisions itinerary and costings etc and then we can go from there. Just thought it would be cool.

broken_brian
4th January 2004, 02:08 AM
just a little idea a visit to the nurburghring could be fun :D

but i could be up for this as well

weefossy
5th January 2004, 10:36 PM
KJ, with the ferry from Rosyth,this is very possible. Sioban and I would be interested. At the right time of year a car and 2 people costs about £300 return, which includes a cabin; which is a lot cheaper than petrol to Dover and a hotel stop in both directions.
What time of year were you thinking about??

minidriver#1
6th January 2004, 01:31 AM
Summer of 2005. If i can plan it in the coming months, i might recce it during the summer of this year. i dont want it to clash with the more traditional runs of course, so i'll have to plan that.

I'll also look into some sort of sponsorship and maybe a charity slant to things too. I've got all these ideas in my head i just need to put em down on paper. I'll do some brain storming and do a provisional plan sometime this week.

In the meanwhile, desitination suggestions would be most welcome. And thanks for the interest so far, it'll be legendary if its pulled off.

sh@z
6th January 2004, 03:09 AM
go kj go !!! :D

has to be done heheh

Willie M
6th January 2004, 04:14 PM
Good man KJ :cool: It'd sure be great to see something like this in the future. If dates, and work permit me, I may well be interested.

Duncan Stewart
6th January 2004, 05:45 PM
Superb idea KJ. How about visiting one of the famous race tracks that you can have a go on and then some twisties through the alps? (time to start saving!)

minidriver#1
7th January 2004, 03:31 AM
update.

Possible departure months...

September 2004
May/June/July 2005

i've been reliably informed that May and September are the months to visit Europe. I'm planing on a run from Zeeburgge to take in the Ring and some other places. I'll keep you all updated.

macblob
7th January 2004, 03:45 AM
Excellent, sounds like a really cool idea

Duncan Stewart
7th January 2004, 06:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

update.

September 2004
May/June/July 2005

How about May 2005? - part of the run could be to the International Mini Meet in Spain.

seany
8th January 2004, 02:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

update.

September 2004
May/June/July 2005

How about May 2005? - part of the run could be to the International Mini Meet in Spain.

is the IMM in may 2005

Burple
8th January 2004, 08:33 AM
quote:

Now THAT sounds like a completely mental idea!! I like it!!
Have the run end at the IMM 2005??

That could tie in VERY nicely with some sort of charity gig...
hmmmmmmm.....
Sorta like a wee Italian job stylee thing
(you know, the one that's run to Italy every year?)

:D:D:D

minidriver#1
8th January 2004, 09:10 AM
i figured we could get that and the Ring into the run. Leaving the ring till the end just incase **** happens on the track. lol. touch wood it doesnt

Julz
8th January 2004, 05:03 PM
Sounds great KJ, doubt we'd be able to go, BabyB might struggle to get on the ferry!!:(

Willie M
8th January 2004, 09:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Sounds great KJ, doubt we'd be able to go, BabyB might struggle to get on the ferry!!:(
Awwww. The poor wee baby :( You could always have her airlifted across Julz ;):D

ELFMAN
8th January 2004, 11:20 PM
Julz - couldn't some clever bu**er rig up some portable clearance ramps to get you on and off the ferry? I mean, a load of very low stuff goes on these Classic/Supercar European runs. Not you, BabyB I mean. OK I'm a dead man.

Trip sounds interesting. “G3 ELF” will probably have morphed (again) into a twin-supercharged lightweight road racer by that time (in keeping with my spurious “the Cooper is fast enough mantra”....). I'll definitely think about it.

Duncan Stewart
9th January 2004, 05:59 PM
Julz - is you suspension adustable or just lowered? The uprated suspension on my classic mini allows me to raise the car as well as lower it. I'm sure we could all help out twirling spanners once of the ferry to get BabyB lowered down again.

Julz
9th January 2004, 07:58 PM
Well, at long last, you can get adjustables for the mini, for a mere £900:eek:!! I had thought of ramps, just where do I keep them?? I know Peugeot Ecosse carry ramps for getting on and off the Euro tunnel for shows in France!! I will have to investigate, cause babyB wants to go to France to visit my folks!!;):D

minidriver#1
9th January 2004, 10:01 PM
i would be surprised if the ferry didnt have ramps for cars. Infact, i'm pretty sure they would as they wouldnt want to embarass customers by not being able to load their car onto their ferries. I'll see wht i can do to find out.

I'll have a planned itenirary soon.

Julz
10th January 2004, 11:12 PM
Good man KJ!!!:D;)

minidriver#1
11th January 2004, 03:14 AM
i phoned Rosyth ferries and they are gonna get back to me, not heard anything yet, but i'm sure its ok. I'll keep you posted.

minidriver#1
11th January 2004, 06:56 AM
ok, a list of destinations i thought we could slap on the itenirary

Zeebrugge
Paris
Nurburgring
Monaco? its a bit out the way, way down south of france, border with Italy. It'd be legendary though
Alps (for the twisties and ****-your-self cornering)

we could do a big loop ...

Ferry from Rosyth to Zeebrugge then to Paris, then to monaco and the alps, then to nurburgring last and then back to zeebrugge to get the ferry back to rosyth.

seany
11th January 2004, 07:34 PM
KJ any help you need, just ask and i will see what i can do.

Fontal
11th January 2004, 07:56 PM
Sounds good Ill deffinatly be a maybe:D:clown::blackeye:

Julz
12th January 2004, 03:38 AM
Monaco is a fair drive, done it before and unless people have another driver with them, it would take a few days each way!:( How about Le Mans, bit further north? If France is on the list, I'll try and help as best I can, get my dad to do some recce's for us!!;):D

minidriver#1
12th January 2004, 04:27 AM
yeh, monaco is a bit of a distance. The trip is to last at least a week i was thinking. Plenty of driving and plenty of time to recouperate was my thinking. Where about is Le Mans?

duncan
12th January 2004, 05:55 AM
Le Mans is near the Loire Valley, in west central France - i changed trains there in the summer

Julz
13th January 2004, 06:14 AM
Realistcally, you'd need the week for Monaco alone!!! Thinking about it, Le Mans would be a bit of a stretch too, keep forgetting that the trip would not be from Calais!! I'll see if I can find somewhere else, there are some good motor museum places in France, just cannae mind where!!:evil::clown:

Davidson2
13th January 2004, 09:12 AM
Me! Me! Please Sir, ME Me!
I want to go toooooo. 100% if from Rosyth a maybe if from Dover.

Just so happens Im on a sort of Busmans holiday in Feb, will be in Paris, Barcelona, Turin, Swiss Alps. Will try to do as much recon as I can to help out. Flying and Driven when Im there but will try to do me part Captain, like bring back Highway Codes for everyone:D

Just one more point on Monaco though, its about four quid for a can of Coke... expensive aint the word!:(

weefossy
13th January 2004, 09:14 AM
Julz, we took our classic Cooper on the "Channel Tunnnel" train and they provided ramps.
Definately think the South of France is too far for a week. Le Mans should be OK.

minidriver#1
13th January 2004, 09:26 AM
cool. sounds like monaco is a no go, a wise decision.

Julz
14th January 2004, 08:52 PM
Me like ramps!!!;) As for Monaco, the bits of the grand prix circuit are cool, but I wasn't very impressed with the rest, bit like St. Tropez, bit dull and boring and not worth the expense!!:clown: (now I could name a few other things that are similar!!;))

minidriver#1
21st February 2004, 09:29 AM
i'm still planning this, dont forget about it people. i'll have an itenerary very soon.