PDA

View Full Version : Question for people with factory Sat Nav and after

MartinSullivan
2nd January 2004, 08:21 PM
I know there are several people on here that have the factory intstalled sat nav and have fitted aftermarket head units - and I am hoping some of them can answer some questions for me.

I recently installed a clarion head unit in my S and following all the advice on Mini2 I connected the two wires from the sat nav in the mini boost radio plug into an interface purchased from mikey the mini - top bloke by the way :) .

The plan was that this would route the navigation voice through the right speaker of the stereo almost as per the original set up. Unfortunately all I get is a very "weedy" voice which can only really be heard when the car is stationary and everything else is turned off. I disucssed this with Mikey and he proposed adding a small amplifier into the interface to try and boost the signal level to drive the voice at an audible level. This is a partial success, the voice is noticably louder but still not really usable when the car is in motion.

If I turn up the sat nav volume in the settings on the display - the voice says "louder , louder" etc but doesnt increase in volume. What I am not sure of is whether this should actually turn the volume up - or whether that was a function of the boost radio??? If you have fitted an interface or a nokia speaker as I know some other people have done then when you adjust the volume via the control panel does it get louder???

Ever since day one it was always necessary to have the BOOST radio up rather loud to hear the navigation voice clearly - but when I mentioned this to the dealer I was informed they were all like that. I now suspect that my nav unit is at fault - but might have trouble getting the dealer to accept this under warrenty as I have fitted a new head unit.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem - if so did they manage to fix it? I assume the voice is located on the CD in the nav drive under the drivers seat - does anyone know if there is a seperate volume control on this unit?

Thanks for your time reading this post, and I hope somebody can provide some answers - if I learn anything else I will post it here incase anyone else has similar problems in the future.

Cheers and happy new year to everyone

Martin

Gismo
2nd January 2004, 08:39 PM
Just as a thought, not that i know, but, do you have the HK fitted to your car :question:

I don't even know if this has anything to do with the speed volume set up

Bonnie Scotland