PDA

View Full Version : Sports Plus Suspension

ELFMAN
2nd January 2004, 01:18 AM
Right, anoraks on everybody. Since morphing G3 ELF into its current 'S' incarnation, I've noticed the ride is less harsh than the older Cooper “Sports Plus” set up. Speaking to one of the guys on the festive run, he reckoned that they changed the damper settings back in June. Something's certainly been done, as I'm running exactly the same wheel and tyre spec as on the Coop. (16" 5 Stars & runflat Goodyear NCT's).

I reckon the “new” setup is better, as all of the control is there but without that (sometimes annoying) bump 'n thump on rougher roads. One of the reasons I stuck with 16's is that the 'S' I tested on 17's felt a bit “wooden” in comparison. 17's on the new setup would be much better than previously - probably similar to the 16's with the stiffer setup.

Is it the dampers? is it the Springs? The quest or the truth starts here.......Happy New Year to everybody!!!!!

3GGG
2nd January 2004, 01:59 AM
Yea they changed the settings after a lot of complaints of harsh ride, there was quite an outcry on M2 about this when it was first mentioned in the USA because many people thought that it would be too soft and have poorer handling, more like a typical American auto than a sports car, however those fears have been dispelled and everyone seems happy. I don't know if it was the dampers or the springs or both that were altered. Never heard if it was retrofittable to the older cars.
Mini 2 has thread on it I see, new shocks, some don't like them I notice now ...
Mini discussion (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46187&highlight=suspension+2003)