PDA

View Full Version : Puncture misery

Duncan Stewart
1st January 2004, 03:34 AM
No luck with my new wheels & tyres - A nail in the tyre on the festive run (kept pressure), repair on Monday but yesterday coming home from work I hit something on the road the slashed open the side wall of the front tyre and scratched the rim! :(:dead::disapprove: My opinion of "mini mobility" system is CR*P! :evil:. Using it in the freezing pitch black is hard enough but the effect was zero - it just blew white liquid out of the puncture hole. Fortunately I was only a few miles from home so drove very slowing home on the deflated tyre - £100 tyre knackered :dead:. I'm back on a set of 15" 8 spokes with a 15" 7 hole on the back seat as a spare. Can anyone suggest an alterative to the MINI white liquid that actually works?
and anyone know how to stop the run flat light on the dash board flashing?
Only good thing was loads of people stopped to see if I was OK which cheered me up a little.

3GGG
1st January 2004, 04:00 AM
I think GAJ or someone from else from Edinburgh had some goo stuff put in the tyres to protect them against punctures. That may be an idea.

Regarding the runflat indicator - is that not reset by pressing the button under the handbrake for a period of time? - I would need to read the manual because, touch wood, I have not had a puncture with my runflats.
What tyres was it that you were running? - I assume they were not runflats?

minidriver#1
1st January 2004, 04:50 AM
you think thats bad luck? i put my car in to get its roof repaired and got it back with a punctured front tire :( they gave me another cooper though while they fixed the tire and got it back today :) its in storage now all nice n shiney.

The strange thing was though, my tire indicator never came on :S

KenL
1st January 2004, 04:51 AM
Unfortunately any of the gunk solutions will not fix a big slash in a side wall.
Thankfully I have the spare but if I ever get an S that is not an option so I would probably stick to runflats even though they are expensive and not as good as real performance tyres.

To reset the runflat indicator turn your ignition key until the lights come on. Press and hold the button until the light comes on and then start the engine and drive off.

Duncan Stewart
1st January 2004, 06:52 PM
I'd put on 16" by 7" TSWs with 205/50 by 16 Yokos (non run flat but still over £100 each). Filled the arches great and felt really sticky in corners but hard to tell at this time of year. I asked for space saver spare when I ordered the car but was talked out of it as not worth having! - Now I have a full size spare taking up 2/3rds of the rear seat. Thanks for info on runflat indicator. I'll give it a try.

Kirsty
1st January 2004, 09:54 PM
I had a puncture in one of my tyres not long after I got M.Y.:( I got it changed for another standard tyre (not sure what type that is) but ever since my tyre pressure warning light keeps flashing!!!:mad: I have reset it a thousand times but still it pings and flashes at me!! I have asked Dunedin on numberous occassions to look into it but they have never fixed it (?whether they actually looked at it at all!!):mad::mad: Good luck with sorting yours Duncan and if you find out anything about it I would appreciate any info!!:D

seany
1st January 2004, 10:09 PM
i need 2 front tyres!

Julz
1st January 2004, 11:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Now I have a full size spare taking up 2/3rds of the rear seat.

Seeing as I've got an S with Toyo tyres, I always keep a tin of Tyre Weld in the boot. This means if you have a puncture, you attach the tin to the valve, it fills the tyre with foamy stuff and re-inflates your tyre enabling you to carefully proceed with your journey to your nearest tyre dealer!! Saves alot of space!!
The goo stuff that you put in the tyres is used by the police etc. and fills any holes in the tyres caused by nails etc, only problem is that when you're not moving, the goo settles at the bottom of your tyre, so everytime you start off on a new journey, the stuff has to wheech round the tyre and reform, bit noisy and rumbly for a while!!!
I would recommend Tyre Weld, £9.99 from your nearest Halfrauds!!;)

Wul
2nd January 2004, 12:22 AM
Duncan - i got Tyresafe in my four tyres fo £20 - it's coats the tyre and repaired my slow puncture no probs - seafield coachworks near leith do it. it is a good product and i would recommend it - Bonnie
Scotland has it in his tyres too i think.

Willie M
2nd January 2004, 02:08 AM
Bad luck Duncan :disapprove: Gotta admit, it's the one thing I'm not really looking forward to when I get the S. I'll be back to runflats. I got the spare wheel option with Stouffer so I could use standard tyres (with no major worries) and I must say I notice a big difference in the handling, as opposed to the runflats. I've currently got Goodyear F1 215x40's on him. Great in the wet too.

Methinks I'll be getting a hold of some Tyre Weld or checking into Tyresafe.

Duncan Stewart
3rd January 2004, 02:04 AM
Cheers Julz - A tin of the tyre weld sounds ideal. I've tried reseting the runflat warning light and it seemed to work but I've not actually driven anywhere yet a I'm up north at Helen's parents (in her Fiesta). I'll let you know how I get on Kirsty.
Seany - slow down and you won't need tyres so quick ;)