PDA

View Full Version : Tyres....

Craig
31st October 2006, 02:34 AM
thought long and hard before posting this, but thought some people may wish to know..

As a lot of you know I have the luxury of having winter and summer wheels. This is mostly due to necessity (as my summer wheels have a large polished lip) and they would be destroyed by the winter salt etc.

I took the wheels off about the end of Sept so as not to get any salt in contact with them. As I was checking them before putting them in the garage I noticed a crack on one of the front tyres. I then checked the other front tyre and it had the same fault. It was a crack starting from the outside edge and working it's way across the tread at 90 degrees to the edge of the wheel. This concerned me, so I took the tyres (Which are Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 215/35/18 for the record) to the local dealer to check them out.

They inspected the tyres and said they would have to send them back to Goodyear as the tyres were starting to de-laminate! :eek:.

Goodyear inspected them and confirmed that they were infact faulty. Here comes the killer blow.... They don't replace them, they purely give you an allowance as to how much tread is left. so I got 60% for one tyre and 70% of the other. SO........ I thought I would just put the extra and buy 2 new tyres.... No sir, says the guy, it's a percentage of what the supplier buys them in at, not what you pay! :eek: (the second sucker punch!)

So, I got back a little over £150 for 2 tyres, which I will now have to replace.................. that was until I double-checked the back tyres and they have the same fault!! :eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

They are now being send back to be checked, so in all I will have to replace all 4 tyres with less that it will cost to replace 2 of them...

Just a note of warning to all - even the best of tyres can fail, always best to check them now and again. ;)

Rant over. :approve:

Gismo
31st October 2006, 02:40 AM
Are they run flats??
In any case, i reckon since they are you're summer tyres you could chase them through the small claims court or similar for a full refund, thieving gits :disapprove:

illegalhunter
31st October 2006, 02:55 AM
only person who wins is the layer no luck craig keep the faith

james f
31st October 2006, 03:18 AM
thats a mockery of sham of a mockery glad im not geeting these have opted for yoko prada spec 2's

Mon the fish
31st October 2006, 03:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by james f

thats a mockery of sham of a mockery glad im not geeting these have opted for yoko prada spec 2's

Just don't drive them in the wet, that's what i've got at the mo. Great in the dry, understeer-city in the rain :disapprove:

OBN
31st October 2006, 04:00 AM
Don't take them back, take them along to trading standards along with the report on the other 2 tyres. I'm sure trading standards would be very interested, or just tell the place you got the tyres thats what your going to do, unless you get 2 new tyres as replacements and the money back for the other 2.

Wul
31st October 2006, 04:31 AM
Craig - are the tyres over 1 year old? If not then your statutory rights under the sale of goods act should be able to help you out here as the tyres are faulty and not in accordance with the specification or fit for purpose, not to mention a danger - what if they'd blown out on the motorway? Check it out with your local Citizens Advice Bureau - and failing that a well worded email to Watchdog!

john
31st October 2006, 05:57 AM
Write to TOP GEAR and copy Goodyear in on it;)

stoney
31st October 2006, 06:29 AM
i had falty pareli run flats sent them back and got full refund for them just have 2 keep at them

Gorbash12346
31st October 2006, 06:37 AM
it has a lot to do with how you store them and use them as well but anyway that is a bit disgusting... i got a bulge in the sidewall of one of my avon ZZ3's sent it back and they sent me a new 1.. even though it had 5mm of tread on it...

Craig
31st October 2006, 06:01 PM
they are NON run-flat, just standard tyres... I never bought them, they came with the wheels so I have no receipt etc or I would have went through the place I bought them etc...

Will NEVER buy goodyear again.:disapprove:

Gismo
31st October 2006, 06:16 PM
Craig,
I still think a strongly worded letter to Goodyear UK advising them that you are unsatisfied and that you have also copied the letter to the trading standards is worthwjile, especially since you've got all winter to try and get some compensation

Heather
31st October 2006, 09:55 PM
Craig, I agree with Wul and BS. Keep complaining and you might get somewhere. Are these the tires the traffic guys use? If so have they had any problems?

Craig
8th November 2006, 05:08 AM
Well quick update...

Heather, yes they are the EXACT same model of tyre and they have had NO problems. I must just be unlucky with tyres at the moment.. :disapprove:

Got a letter back from Goodyear regarding the back 2 tyres I sent away. They have agreed that there is a problem with them also and have agreed a 100% allowance for them (despite them having some wear..)

That should mean that I will have enough cash to replace all 4 tyres with another make.

I could spend time sending a letter complaining etc, but at the end of the day, I'l still going to get 4 tyres and hopefully they won't de-laminate before they are worn down this time... :approve: