PDA

View Full Version : Perthshire Hotels

RS
30th December 2003, 06:21 AM
Hopefully some of you people in the Perthshire area will be able to help me.

I had planned to take my wife to Crieff Hydro for a weekend break for her birthday on the 10th Jan, but they are fully booked.

Can anybody recommend an equally good hotel in the Perthshire area?

Monsta Mo Mini
30th December 2003, 07:03 PM
The Hilton at Dunkeld is superb and I think thay have a few good deals going at the moment. Another one which is lovely if you want to get away from it all is Dunalistair, it's essentially a 4 star hotel at 2 star prices. We're off to the Crieff Hydro this weekend coming - got the last room!

Wul
30th December 2003, 07:40 PM
I'm sure there are rooms left at the Moffat Hotel which looks onto the grounds of Crieff Hydro and has a garage containing several MINI's and an SUV!;)

I'm sure WillieM or LindaM can help you out :D;)

RS
30th December 2003, 08:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

The Hilton at Dunkeld is superb and I think thay have a few good deals going at the moment. Another one which is lovely if you want to get away from it all is Dunalistair, it's essentially a 4 star hotel at 2 star prices. We're off to the Crieff Hydro this weekend coming - got the last room!

Thanks Calum. The Dunalistair certainly looks good. I'm waiting to hear back from them about availability.

Linda M
31st December 2003, 12:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

I'm sure there are rooms left at the Moffat Hotel which looks onto the grounds of Crieff Hydro and has a garage containing several MINI's and an SUV!;)
Good one WUL :clown:
I think Calum has suggested the best 2 in the area, there is also the Murray Park Hotel in Crieff which is the sister hotel to the Hydro just up the road and I think you get to use all the Hydro's great facilities.

Wul
31st December 2003, 01:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

quote:Originally posted by Wul

Good one WUL :clown:

:p:evil:;):D:clown:

Willie M
2nd January 2004, 01:59 AM
Go away Wul :p You don't even exist :clown:

RS
2nd January 2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks for both the positive and negative help folks!

I've got it sorted out now.

Willie M
5th January 2004, 05:05 PM
Where did you end up RS? Always interested to hear about good places to stay.

RS
7th January 2004, 06:14 AM
There's a bit of a story.

Following Calum's recommendation for the Dunalistiar, I tried to book a room there. However they are closed until the last week of January, therefore they recommended the Ardeoniag Hotel on the banks of Loch Tay.

We had a room booked at the Ardeonaig until yesterday, when they phoned me to say that part of the roof of their Dining Room had collapsed due to the weight of snow on it!

So we're back on the streets again this coming weeked. Can you recommend any warm street corners in Perthshire?

Willie M
7th January 2004, 04:44 PM
Jeeeez!! What a run of bad luck :(
Other than those already mentioned above I can't really think of any off hand. Mind you, whilst glancing at a book last night ('Visiting Distilleries' :approve:) I noticed that the authors had spoken very highly of the Royal Hotel in Comrie. Family run establishment with good accomodation and excellent, home made food apparently.

Best of luck. Hope you manage to get something sorted.

euan
7th January 2004, 06:35 PM
I've stayed here before - http://www.thefourseasonshotel.co.uk/

Great views, fantastic food.

on the West Coast, http://www.royalhotel.org.uk/ is brilliant. Not much to do, but very pretty :)

Wul
7th January 2004, 07:14 PM
Hey euan - what do you mean there's not much to do in Tighnabruaich! theres 4 pubs and a shinty pitch - what more do you want!? :D That's an old haunt of mines from childhood to present day - can heartely (spelling!) recommend the Kyles of Bute Hotel there as well. Great roads from Arrochar up and over the rest and be thankful to get there! :D

Did you know Robert Carlyle has a summer home there too - up the hill above the Royal Hotel!

Monsta Mo Mini
7th January 2004, 09:07 PM
As Euan recommended - The Four Seasons just outside Aberfyole is great fantastic. Plenty to do there aswell.

euan
7th January 2004, 10:44 PM
Outside of drinking I meant :) I just loved the drive over there - so many great roads. I wish I could do it now in my S as I had my old Golf GTi at the time which was not nearly as much fun. Bit scary at night those roads though. nutters in transit vans and all that.

I can see why he would have a summer house there - we had a room overlooking the water at the front of the hotel - just fantastic looking over to Bute. You woke up hearing waves break which was just fantastic!