PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Clay Detailer. Is it really?

vintageb3
28th October 2006, 04:39 AM
Hi MINI people!

I bought about £100 worth of Meguiar's products today...thought I might as well jump in at the deep end.

I bought the Clay product...but the clay was missing. DOH! So I had to return to Halfords. The assistant told me she would exchange it because some dirty rotten person had stolen the clay out the box. She went away only to come back to tell me that they had run out…so gave me my money back.

Can’t believe that someone would steal something out of a box…but she says it happens all the time. So…check everything you buy from Halfords!

But I did find out something interesting about the detailing Clay liquid while I had it.

It is the same stuff has NILGLAS Glass cleaner. Well…at least…it smells the same and I really do reckon it is the same stuff. Nilglass is great stuff for removing any foreign objects, oils, silicones, factory double-glazing rubber smears etc and any contaminates from glass. We always used fine steel wool with it...and glass was left “Squeaky” clean. (Does this sound familiar to those who have used the clay product before?)

Best Glass Cleaner on the market. We used to buy this stuff by the gallon and it wasn’t all that expensive from memory…maybe £10.00 for 5 litres. This Meguiar's detailing product is £11.99 for a little bottle and a piece of clay!

Had me wondering how many things we buy that are bottled for use as a special product. Could it be fact that a product gets sold by different companies for different applications…and most probably at different prices! ?

Instead of steel wool…this pack comes with clay…wonder if the clay is really doing all that much? Maybe it’s just a very fine applicator? I reckon it’s the liquid that is doing the cleaning.

My last day with the car is tomorrow before I head out round the UK for a month through work :(

May get a chance to clean my buggy…but I’m hoping it’s a nice bright sunny day so I can go for a drive.

Then it will be a month of just thinking about the car. :(

mark

Wul
28th October 2006, 05:01 AM
Mark - the Quick Detailer with the clay isn't like Nilglass - it's effectively a gloss enhancer and is best used top keep that just waxed look after washing the car - it's used as a lubricant to stop the clay sticking to your paint. Instead I keep the QD for making the car look nice and use a double strength mix of car wash in a squirty bottle as a clay lube :)

sedgie
28th October 2006, 05:05 AM
I agree....i spent hours cleanin car with Meguiars clay....n the car didnae come up any better than with just the normal wash, polish n wax....n yes i use all the Meguiars stuff!:)...do like their gold class wax:D

Gismo
28th October 2006, 05:16 AM
And tomorrow it gets all dirty again ;) waste of valuable drinking time

sedgie
28th October 2006, 05:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Exactly....nae mair washing till april me thinks!:D:D:cool:

vintageb3
28th October 2006, 05:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Mark - the Quick Detailer with the clay isn't like Nilglass - it's effectively a gloss enhancer and is best used top keep that just waxed look after washing the car - it's used as a lubricant to stop the clay sticking to your paint. Instead I keep the QD for making the car look nice and use a double strength mix of car wash in a squirty bottle as a clay lube :)

Sorry Wul

Have I got the product mixed up with one other in thier line?

I was sure this was the product used to strip wax and polish off back to the paint?

Help?

mark

Wul
28th October 2006, 06:13 AM
OK - I know it's late but you guys have got it all wrong!

Check out here (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html) for how to use clay.

But in a nutshell the clay bar is a very very fine abrasive which lifts contaminents like bug splat, tree sap and tar spots from the surface of your paint. It also removes all your wax in the process. The QD is a lubricant to let the clay slide over the paint otherwise it's like dragging a bit blue tack over the car 8). After claying it's best to re-wash the car then either polish or wax the car to bring back the shine. My normal 6 month clay routine is as follows:

1 Wash - no need to dry
2 Clay using double strength wash mix
3 Wash - then dry
4 Polish with either Clear coat body scrub or similar to remove light scratches and improve/ feed the gloss
5 Wax

:)

N12 JLK
29th October 2006, 06:01 AM
Obviously none of you have won a Show 'n' shine competition then:D

Clay bar is superb:)

Gorbash12346
17th November 2006, 01:31 AM
indeed it is superb when used properly and thoroughly, just make bloody sure you keep it well lubed and don't use it if you drop it or pick up any grit on it...

if you want some serious detailing tips visit www.detailingworld.com i am about to try and organise a group buy for the porter cable polisher so i'll post on here if it looks like it'll happen

Detailing Guides http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Importing a PC http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=136

Megs Last Touch http://www.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/specwd.pl?pc=D15501&tp=0

Last Touch Spray Bottle http://www.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/specwd.pl?pc=D20155&tp=0
(same as the quick detiler just the bulk version)
Hope that helps

The Bull
17th November 2006, 04:28 AM
I'd be up for a group buy.

X30YES
17th November 2006, 04:58 AM
porter cable polisher ...dangerous in the wrong hands !!!! + you'd be needing a Transfomer as they are 110/120V .... or have they sorted out the Volts ???? .

Gorbash12346
20th November 2006, 05:46 AM
no you still need a transformer unfortunately but it's a small price to pay for such an excellent tool dangerous in the wrong hands yes well if you follow the instructions on detailingworld it's fairly easy to get good results

Crombers
20th November 2006, 06:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

That's the stuff :approve:

Allan
24th November 2006, 08:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

porter cable polisher ...dangerous in the wrong hands !!!! + you'd be needing a Transfomer as they are 110/120V .... or have they sorted out the Volts ???? .

Yesh yesh. Although some people will say it will take a lot to burn the paint. If your laquer is thin, then you will burn through no probs. My advice if you are getting one, read all about them. If you know someone with a paint depth guage, ask them to mark out the paint thickness of your car. Then you know how much you have to deal with before you start rather than finding out the hard way. :cool: be careful kiddies