PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarding / skiing

David Wynne
26th October 2006, 04:06 AM
Just booked a few weeks in Fernie, Canada - Yippee.

Anyone else got the snow sports bug? Where you off to this season? Any favorite resorts?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o194/davewynne/Banff028.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o194/davewynne/110_1005.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o194/davewynne/Banff001.jpg

X30YES
26th October 2006, 04:27 AM
Skied Whistler a couple of times ...that was great !

David Wynne
26th October 2006, 04:53 AM
Whistler looks fantastic, only been during the summer unfortunately.

OBN
26th October 2006, 09:29 AM
Xscape @ braehead

X30YES
26th October 2006, 01:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by David Wynne

Whistler looks fantastic, only been during the summer unfortunately

I skied Blackcomb Mountain's Glacier in June one year

Neil and Lorna
26th October 2006, 06:16 PM
Havn't skied in the States yet.

But Cervinia in Italy is the best place i've been sking in Europe.:):)
The 7 mile long Ventina run is just amazing. We timed ourselves once we did it in 6.54 Mins :eek::eek:nearly sh&t myself a few times on the corners.:eek::eek:And yes thats an average speed of over 60MPH:eek::eek:
Couldn't do it now, not fit enough or to old and wise.:D:D

Neil.:D:D

midge
26th October 2006, 06:37 PM
I have skied/Boarded Fernie, Big Mountain(USA), Lake Louise and Sunshine resort. Fernie is superb, it's known as the Steep and the Deep. You'll love it!

asuds86
27th October 2006, 12:46 AM
I've never been on a snow holiday b4 but going to Andorra at christmas and off to Xscape @ Braehead on Sat. The furthest I've been b4 is just up to Cairngorm. The mini is also good fun in the snow!! :D

David Wynne
27th October 2006, 03:52 AM
Last year I went to Kicking Horse in Canada as a day drip from Banff. They have a 10K run. Its classed as a green (my ar$e) and like you pelted down it at a similar speed. Didn`t even have the helmet of false security on. Pretty good fun though.

james f
14th November 2006, 08:54 AM
hopefluy going to whistler for a part season next year and a full season somewhere the year after but did france back in feb and had a great time

soopercooper
14th November 2006, 11:41 PM
skied chamonix the past 2 years
il be at the cairngorms in february if we get some snow

a possibility of whistler next month

Mini Ecosse
15th November 2006, 02:04 AM
Boarded in Breckinridge 8 years ago. Powder brilliant, best snow ever for boarding. Favourite place's in Europe are Tignes & Zermatt. Also been to Chamonix, off piste runs pretty scary:eek:. One run you had to absiel down into to get started :eek:, I gave that one a miss! I go to Glencoe every winter if shifts/snow conditions permit.

X30YES
15th November 2006, 06:36 AM
Not my best skiing holiday , but the thrill of doing the Olympic bobsled run was fantastic (scanned pics)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/LaPlagne.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/olympicBobsledrun.jpg

GP 1536
15th November 2006, 09:18 AM
Glencoe is as about is exciting as it gets for me.Close by and nice and cheap.Nothing better than ski-ing on sheet ice with clumps of heather sticking out.:blackeye:

Neil and Lorna
15th November 2006, 05:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by GP 1536

Glencoe is as about is exciting as it gets for me.Close by and nice and cheap.Nothing better than ski-ing on sheet ice with clumps of heather sticking out.:blackeye:

You forgot the rocks .:D:D:D

Neil.

X30YES
15th November 2006, 06:49 PM
Sheet ice ,noisy ,bumpy ...sitting in something with no suspension ,no breaks ,no steering ,and your eyes closed for most of it ,thank heavens it was padded round the edges :)....rock's ,I'm not so sure about them , but , there sure was a pile of bricks by the time the run was finished :D.

GP 1536
15th November 2006, 09:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Neil and Lorna

You forgot the rocks .:D:D:D

Neil.

[/quote]

Oh yes.The big sticky out rocks.How could I forget them

soopercooper
15th November 2006, 10:37 PM
im also gonna do some ice climbing when i go skiing,the off piste runs in chamonix are awesome,i thot i was gonna die last time i skied there,nearly hit a tree,i had to abseil into the runs to get started too,is an adrenaline rush

Smitty
16th November 2006, 04:21 AM
I'm off to Tignes in 1 month exactly!!:D

Can't wait! Nine of us heading off on a snowboarding adventure! Just got myself a brand spanking new board in the summer so can't wait to try it out properly!:D

Was in Sestriere last year just before the Olympics and was a solid resort! Not much in the way of snowparks etc for fun factor but runs were amazing. Did the donwhill course that the skiers do....took them around 2 mins....me....10 mins and thats on the edge of control too!!!:eek::D

Was at Xscape in Glasgow last month at the palce is amazing! Properly not ideal for non freestylers as it would get a bit boring but for us young "hip" snowboarders its an outstanding place!!:D

NMS run to Glen Shee this winter Neil and Lorna??:D;)

David Wynne
17th November 2006, 04:02 AM
Anyone done the Haute Route?

David Wynne
17th November 2006, 04:15 AM
Couldn`t resist adding this to get a wee flamey thing on the folder!

euan
20th November 2006, 08:25 PM
Well, just booked on with a group of friends to go to Meribel in January - never been before (and haven't done any skiing since dry slope when I was 10!) so booking beginners lessons.

Really looking forward to it! Anything I should know about? Equipment that is needed, tips etc?

X30YES
21st November 2006, 01:14 AM

Anyone done the Haute Route?
Via Verbier years and years ago , shame the weather was bad tho .

David Wynne
21st November 2006, 06:29 AM
You must be a pretty good skier then?:cool:

Crombers
21st November 2006, 06:42 AM

You must be a pretty good skier then?:cool:

The man has many talents :p;)

X30YES
21st November 2006, 08:20 AM

You must be a pretty good skier then?:cool:...

Was !!!, in the days when you skied on 200cm for fun and 207's for a blast ;)...and not a bad bob driver as well :D...well it ran on its own really , I did the VB as well a couple of times , but that was easy ;)except getting off the top from the cable car :eek:;)

David Wynne
11th January 2007, 07:55 AM
Did anyone manage to take advantage of the snow in the nevis range? The pictures on their web site looked pretty good last week.