PDA

View Full Version : Any MCS Owners With Stumble,YoYo From Aberdeen ?

cpmac
28th December 2003, 07:40 AM
Any MCS owners from Aberdeen been in touch with John Clarks in Aberdeen about the dreaded stumble,yoyo? They told me that they emailed my symptoms along with other owners to BMW & the Mini factory by request so they can work on software fixes.What have you guys been told?I thought that V36 software was the fix?Would love to hear from others with the same problem!!!:(:question:

cpmac
16th January 2004, 09:28 AM
Just had V36.0 loaded on my MCS yesterday after suffering from both stumble & yoyo from new(July 03 build).The car is now 95% perfect. Stumble totally gone & yoyo almost totally gone(very difficult to notice any at all,only because I'm looking for it).
Have done almost 100 miles now on country roads & city center driving. I feel like I've been given a new car!!!!!!!
Have been using BP Ultimate for the last couple of months which has also helped.Improves the economy by almost 4 miles to the gallon but is 5p dearer but haven't worked out yet which is better.I don't care.Stuff the expense!!!
Full marks to the John Clark Mini Dealer in Aberdeen.
I'm one happy Scotsman

minidriver#1
16th January 2004, 09:33 AM
is the v36 software, would it have an equivalent version release for the Cooper? Glad to hear it solved most of your problems :)

ELFMAN
16th January 2004, 06:46 PM
Could you describe this Stumble/Yo Yo thing? How does it manifest itself on the road?

cpmac
2nd February 2004, 11:16 AM
A few hundred miles down the line with V36.0 on my MCS the stumble(Car dies on pulling out of junction,then picks up) has still totally gone but the yoyo(stutter/hesitation in 1st to 4th gear while accelerating normally from 2 to 4 thousand revs) has come back with vengence.Told my dealer,then out of the blue he phoned to say BMW have just newly come out with V36.1 software(several days ago) which "should" be a fix.I'm stuck offshore on my oil rig just now but will get the DME reprogrammed when I get home in a week.
Hopefully this is the cure!!!Will keep everyone informed!!!

Gismo
2nd February 2004, 11:30 AM
One cure would be a nice engine upgrade from Hartge, BBR etc, stumble gone forever, many people have complained about the "latest" software not curing the problem :(

Spend some of your hard earned and rid yourself of the dreaded yo - yo ;)

KenL
2nd February 2004, 05:23 PM
Very disappointing that cars have this problem.

It is amazing that 3rd party engine tuners can fix this but all the might of BMW can't or are taking a very long time to do so.

Steve74
3rd February 2004, 07:00 PM
I was upset to be told by Easter that the stumble was a "characteristic of the car". After it's second warranty trip in two weeks I bumped into the salesman who was much more friendly than the service advisors and is looking into the problem. It's a dangerous software problem which only seems to happen when I've got DSC and could lead to a nice shunt when leaving side roads.

KenL
3rd February 2004, 07:30 PM
What a load of cr*p.

Tell them you'll be taking it up with MINI or that you insist the mini technical rep has a look at it.

I drove a 2002 S and it didn't have stumble.

One thing, does it still do it if you pull away in the same manner with your ASC/DSC turned off?

Wul
3rd February 2004, 07:59 PM
THis reminds me of the recall on the Laguna that made it to the national press - the air con made the car stall when trying to pull off and a few cars had been invloved in accidents as a result! :eek:

Get them told Steve!

Steve74
3rd February 2004, 11:44 PM
It's pretty crappy really as it's obvious its software related (the stumble). It's only happened on wet/ damp roads with DSC on. I've left it in the salesmans hands but will make a large fuss if it ever happens again. They also tried to fix a rattle from the A-pillar last week and tried to give it back fixed with several more and a much worse state than before so I'm not impressed. I also said to the salesman that I'd seen the warranty sheet charging out labour on the sunroof/roof lining and steering column for rattle when neither of them had and noise from them - he just kept quiet. As I say though, one more time and it's going back to the sales guy with a demand to get fixed or return the car... Apart from that it is a cool wee beast!!

Gismo
4th February 2004, 05:06 AM
Reject the car, drive it to them and leave it with them, don't be argumentitive or derisory, visit MINI2 and print off as much as you can ref the yo - yo and show them XSmall's (Dana who came over for Hogmany) rejected car story and all the others who have done the same. Shamster's car also springs to mind

I know this leaves you without a car, but what's worse :(

Steve74
4th February 2004, 08:13 AM
I am considering as tonight in the dry it happened again - wierd as its always uphill with the dsc. I'm in tomorrow to pick up parts so will speak to them again. The problem is its intermittant and so by its nature difficult to prove. I can be quite tough with them but given the issue is with the software I wonder if it can be fixed with an update although I do have the V36 and a Dec 03 build.