PDA

View Full Version : Traction ASC+T

vintageb3
23rd October 2006, 04:08 AM
Hello MINI people...

Whilst tagging on at the end of the excellent run to the not so Secret Bunker today, I noticed that I could get the wheels to spin easily. I really thought that ASC stopped the wheels spinning, applied brakes through the ABS, and allowed more power to the wheels.

When powering on coming out of a bend (can never remember if this is under steer or over steer) the wheels would spin also.

I did not have the ASC switched off…and wondered if someone could explain what the ACS does…and how do I know if it working?

Thanks

mark

Nick
23rd October 2006, 04:27 AM
when the front wheels lose grip and slides this is understeer, oversteer is when the back steps out.

Was it wet when you were driving? In the dry I dont really have an issue with the ASC intervening unless i am really pushing my car, in the wet whole different story...

The ASC works( i think ) in two stages, firstly by applying a rapid pulse of brake to the wheel that has lost traction, then if the other front wheel also loses traction it then reduces engine power.

First thing i do when i jump into my car is to turn the system off!...I dont find it a good system at all unless at higher speeds...Apparently the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is a much better system.

Nick

bigcoyote
24th October 2006, 04:20 AM
I have the DSC on my 04 S -- it does work! it has saved my hairy but at least once:D
The DSC controls the engine, and the brakes - it can apply each wheel brake independently and reduce engine torque to keep the MINI going in the direction you want it to ( works mostly on high speed corners ). It will also kick in if it detects whel spin ( from a standing start ) it applys the brakes and reduces engine throttle.

From what I have heard / read about ASC it is more of a traction control program ( keeps the wheels from spinning ) but lacks he directional control ( ability to sense a slide ) and keep the car in-line on a curve.

Basicly DSC is a more advanced form of ASC and includes cornering braking ability... I think?

s12cot
24th October 2006, 09:33 PM
ASC is crap - i turn it off, it cuts in far to easily

euan
24th October 2006, 09:40 PM
I found ASC very annoying - too aggresive in cutting power.

DSC is as has been said - direction control and much more useful. I have it on my 3 series and wouldn't be without it as it's cut in on a couple of roundabouts when I'd have been very sideways (not me! diesel spill!)

vintageb3
25th October 2006, 06:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by Nick

when the front wheels lose grip and slides this is understeer, oversteer is when the back steps out.

Was it wet when you were driving? In the dry I dont really have an issue with the ASC intervening unless i am really pushing my car, in the wet whole different story...

The ASC works( i think ) in two stages, firstly by applying a rapid pulse of brake to the wheel that has lost traction, then if the other front wheel also loses traction it then reduces engine power.

First thing i do when i jump into my car is to turn the system off!...I dont find it a good system at all unless at higher speeds...Apparently the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is a much better system.

Nick

Hi Nick..and guys...

Thanks for all the help on this.

It was wet to a degree...not dry anyway.

I don't suposse the DSC is retro fit item?

Thanks!!

mark

Gorbash12346
26th October 2006, 04:30 AM
asc and dsc are two different systems

asc generally only works on a traction stye of control such as cutting the throttle and braking the powered wheels to stop you from .... errr crashing lol

dsc is a lot more advanced and will actively brake each wheel individually to bring your car back under control should you start to slide

i cannot remember the exact description but if i get a chance i will look out the booklet from the training centre

Nick
26th October 2006, 04:58 AM
quote:
I don't suposse the DSC is retro fit item?

Thanks!!

mark

hmmm wouldnt have thought so, think you would have needed to purchase it when you bought the car.....wish i had now!!!....although i am happy enough with the ASC off....

vintageb3
28th October 2006, 06:58 AM
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread..

It has indeed helped me understand the concept of ASC+T

Also having fun bringing it in on corners :)

mark