PDA

View Full Version : IE7

AndyP & Lenore
20th October 2006, 07:36 AM
Anyone upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 yet? If so, whats it like?

BBC News clicky linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6066650.stm)

A.

Big Col
20th October 2006, 03:28 PM
It' like IE6, only a bit more seveny. :)

Gismo
20th October 2006, 05:11 PM
Hmm, my online banking tells me that it won't work with IE7, so, i'll be blocking that install :disapprove:

Smitty
21st October 2006, 01:21 AM
In my view........BRILLIANT!!:D

Been using it since Beta release and i'm loving it! The tabbed browsing is so handy and everything is just where you need it. Got a built in search bar which you can set up to direct to a google search instead of a rubbish MSN search!

Really worth a d/load! You wont go back after a few days!!:D

The Bull
21st October 2006, 01:32 AM
Yeh, it's pretty good but I don't think you can go back to IE6 if you don't like it. At the moment anyway.

minidriver#1
21st October 2006, 02:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

In my view........BRILLIANT!!:D

Been using it since Beta release and i'm loving it! The tabbed browsing is so handy and everything is just where you need it. Got a built in search bar which you can set up to direct to a google search instead of a rubbish MSN search!

Really worth a d/load! You wont go back after a few days!!:D

So basically it's got everything Firefox 1 already has. Yeah the new IE7 is a great improvement, particularly for web developers like me because now it knows how to interpret CSS code properly. However I'll be using Firefox for the forseeable future especially now that version 2 is on the horizon. Microsoft is playing catchup really. I've been using release candidate 3 of IE7 but the beta of Firefox 2 sh*ts on it from a great height.

Also, why would you want to use IE7 when it took them 6 years to give you an upgrade? Hardly customer service is it. But in saying that at least they recognised that and made sure the newest one is more secure but like I said it's still playing catchup to Firefox.

@The Bull, you can run IE7 to emulate IE6. It has the option to do that :)

X30YES
21st October 2006, 03:08 AM
I use`it on my LT , and seems to be ok for now ...I read it will be in the auto updates in Nov !!,the web form spell check tab will be of help for some ;), and the google search and news site tabs are also good

OBN
21st October 2006, 03:31 AM
Safari is the way to go

PACMAN
21st October 2006, 04:13 AM
Firefox still number 1 http://www.mysmilie.de/avatare/computer/img/025.gif

euan
21st October 2006, 05:39 AM
...Still like opera...

minidriver#1
21st October 2006, 05:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

...Still like opera...

Opera is probably the best out of them all for compliance and accessibility. :cool:

Sheilz
21st October 2006, 07:33 AM
I use firefox because I dont like the way IE stores history. Makes me feel I'm being spied on!

Smitty
21st October 2006, 08:18 AM
I tried FireFox a while back for a bit and really wasn't a fan of it!

I reckon now the i have been using IE7 for a while with the tabbed panes would probably get on better but i'm gona stick with IE, to much hassle to change!!:p

euan
21st October 2006, 05:18 PM
It's not a hassle to change - Firefox takes all your settings with it if you want.

lightbody
21st October 2006, 07:17 PM
87% of my website visitors still use IE, so I'm happy for them that they'll mostly be upgrading to IE7 which plays catch up to functionality that other browsers have had for so long.

Most people will never download a browser, no matter how good it is. My Mum for example!

Smitty
21st October 2006, 09:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

It's not a hassle to change - Firefox takes all your settings with it if you want.

Yup, i realise that....was being a bit sarcastic!!:p I no it would only take a few minutes but i'm sold on IE7 and i ain't changing for anyone!:approve:

Burple
22nd October 2006, 03:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Anyone upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 yet? If so, whats it like?

BBC News clicky linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6066650.stm)

A.

<Run Away!!> ;);)

Downloaded on to me laptop at work last week...

I'll be sticking to Firefox ta! :D:D

macblob
22nd October 2006, 06:33 PM
IE7 blahhhhhh!!!!........as has already been said Firefox and Opera are leaps and bounds ahead of IE.
Safari on mac osx and firefox, opera have all had tabbed browsing etc for yrs....so hardly a new development.
From what I can understand IE7 still doesnt handle CSS as well as opera and firefox.
Im using camnino on my mac ( developed by mozilla) and firefox on my windoze lappy.
I mean even the installer for IE7 crashed my laptop about 3 times before it eventually installed lol.
Its just unfortunate that 85%-90% of people viewing website use IE.
The best thing that could happen to the web would be for IE to disappear IMO :)

minidriver#1
23rd October 2006, 07:10 AM
I still have to design my sites with some box model hacks to get them to look right in IE. The problem with IE is that so many people use it that they think it works properly when it couldn't be further from the truth... but that's because people have no interest in how sites are made, just that they can use them.

Big Col
23rd October 2006, 03:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

that's because people have no interest in how sites are made, just that they can use them.

Yup! That'd be me then. :)

Smitty
23rd October 2006, 04:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

that's because people have no interest in how sites are made, just that they can use them.

Yup! That'd be me then. :)

Even with study Computing and doing my own Webprogramming.........i'll join you on that one!!;)

Gismo
12th November 2006, 08:31 PM
Well, finally down loaded the dreaded IE7, looks ok to me, but then i don't understand how they work, just that i can see web sites ;):p

The Bull
13th November 2006, 08:17 PM
I like how if you want a new tab you just click on the little overlap to make one. In Firefox I had to go to file>new tab. Maybe there is a quicker way, I'm sure someone will tell me.

AndyP & Lenore
14th November 2006, 04:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Well, finally down loaded the dreaded IE7, looks ok to me, but then i don't understand how they work, just that i can see web sites ;):p
Can you see images now, or does your work still block them with websence thingy?

A.:D

Gismo
14th November 2006, 05:57 AM
Can you see images now, or does your work still block them with websence thingy?I'm still at home so can see the piccies, but, i'm away ra morra :disapprove: i won't be able to see the piccies, but, Angus always e-mails them to me ;):p

AndyP & Lenore
14th November 2006, 06:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Can you see images now, or does your work still block them with websence thingy?I'm still at home so can see the piccies, but, i'm away ra morra :disapprove: i won't be able to see the poiccies, but, Angus always e-mails them to me ;):p

Allan, whats a poiccies?:eek::blackeye::blackeye::D;)

<<<<Runs and hides:blackeye::D;););)

Gismo
14th November 2006, 06:36 AM
Allan, whats a poiccies?:eek::blackeye::blackeye::D;)My (corrected) spelling mistake i can handle, but, sheesh, two ll's, aw man i give up :evil::p:D

Mini Ecosse
15th November 2006, 02:11 AM
IE7 wants to download/upgrade my PC. Somebody convince me or otherwise to accept/ignore upgrade. Seems to be a 50/50 split at moment. I take it all my files folders will be unaffected?

lightbody
15th November 2006, 02:16 AM
Oh just accept it - its better than ancient IE6!

You might even like it.

I've certainly not heard any problems with it from the various people i know who've downloaded it.

Mini Ecosse
15th November 2006, 02:19 AM
Ta, looks like it's time to live dangerously!
Will download next time fire up laptop.

Smitty
16th November 2006, 04:10 AM
I've been running it since Beta release and absolutly no problems with it at all so go for it!!:)

duncan
22nd November 2006, 09:23 PM
I tried the Beta version, and uninstalled it after a bit. The User Interface was not very well laid out. IMHO.
I downloaded the public release yesterday, seen its not an improvement, and "upgraded" back to IE6.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd December 2006, 08:36 AM
Had it now for 2 weeks.

We both absolutely f*****g hate it.

As Duncan says, user interface is all over the place. No sense applied whatsoever. "Where shall we put the HOME PAGE button?" "Stuff it. Put it over there, no-one will notice it there."

A:disapprove::disapprove::disapprove: