PDA

View Full Version : Painting callipers...and other stuff....hmmm

vintageb3
20th October 2006, 06:23 AM
Hi Guys...

Only been here two days...and I feel like I'm asking too many questions. :I

I have been looking round this forum…and there are some smart cars going round. Sounds like all you guys a really nice folks as well!

Have to say that I’m really happy with the plainness of the car I chose to buy. I think its quite sporty looking and quite classy. I’m not sure I’m brave enough to do any mods that some have gone for here…although they do look very nice on the cars that those folks own. I suppose that’s the great thing about the MINI, it can be a cheeky looking little run around, a powerful looking bulldog, or a classy little car.

I have a van that I use for mundane work and scooting about driving…so the little toy will be garaged most of the time…and hardly get wet from now on.

My plan over the winter months is to attend to the little bits on the car that need attention. The car is pretty clean…but there’s stuff like paint chips that haven’t been attended to that are getting me down. None of them are rust starters…just through to the primer. Also inside the car, some of the plastic on the backs of the seats and at the the sides of the back seats (where the rear speakers are) have been “rubbed” and they look “dry” (hope you pick up what I’m trying to convey here??) This is quite annoying really. It has been the case of someone trying to wedge something into the car that really shouldn’t have been carried in the car. These “rubs” really are not all that bad, but nevertheless annoying. One of the door panels has a ½” round rip in it. Can’t figure out how that could have been done!!! One of those little round reflectors that’s already on the door would cover that wound.

18” alloys have 205/40’s on them…and they have all had a lost battle with kerbs…not too bad…but I want to repair those. Saw a great guide on the net on how to blend in repairs using paint from a company I already deal with (Winzer Wurth) The paint matches the paint used by BMW, but I’m not sure if the JCW 18” colour is the same as the BMW silver.

My callipers are pretty shoddy looking. In fact, the edges of my vented disks are all corroded as well. The corrosion, when wet, is dripping off the disks and could be staining the alloys as well. I contacted MINI warranty to ask them if painting my callipers would affect the one year of warranty left on the car. I got a nice lassie on the phone, but she gave me the usual BMW spiel “We only recommend that MINI trained professionals work on MINI’s and that you shouldn’t do any work yourself ”. She went on “I don’t think that this would affect your warranty, but it could if there was any failure to those parts that you had worked on”.

After the call, I wished I had had mind enough to say “Well…your trained professionals didn’t notice the rust on the disks when they had the car in last!” Maybe better keeping stum.

I wondered what your guys take on this is? Have any of you painted your callipers…and are still in warranty? I have seen kits for painting on the interweb, but haven’t seen any in the shops.

When I was a young fool (yes!...now I’m an old fool)…I did have a alloys on a car and had the callipers painted red with heat resistant paint. Also the edge of the disk was painted. The edge of the disk never came in contact with disk pad…so caused no problems…never had problems with the brakes overheating.

I'm thinking about going for Black to match the bodywork...think I'm too old for Red.

So I will probably hit you guys up for advice from time to time so that I have the info I require in hand for me to go at these little problems.

Thoughts please?

mark

PACMAN
20th October 2006, 06:38 AM
I wouldn't paint them. just go for the real thing

http://www.peabodyminisports.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/NEWBRAKE.jpg

:approve::approve:

Big Gordy
20th October 2006, 06:38 AM
Hi Mark and welcome :D
I've painted my calipers with gold hamerite paint. Works a treat, doesn't peel off and its a lot cheaper than 'special caliper paint' How they could possibly say it may affect your warranty is beyond me:mad: :p:D:approve:

vintageb3
20th October 2006, 06:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

Err...yes... that would be an option...;)

Thanks Pacman

vintageb3
20th October 2006, 06:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Hi Mark and welcome :D
I've painted my calipers with gold hamerite paint. Works a treat, doesn't peel off and its a lot cheaper than 'special caliper paint' How they could possibly say it may affect your warranty is beyond me:mad: :p:D:approve:

Great idea...never thought on Hammerite...great paint!

Hope it would let the heat dissapate through the coating though??

The JCW callipers in the image that Pacman posted look as though they have a nice thick coat of paint on them

Thanks mate!

mark

Neil and Lorna
20th October 2006, 07:56 AM
I've painted my calipers with normal car paint in body colour.
So far its been pretty durable with no signs yet of peeling.

Got the paint from www.carpaint.co.uk they mix it to your colour.

Hope this helps.:D:D

Neil.:D

Wul
20th October 2006, 04:24 PM
Mark - welcome along - don't worry about asking too many questions - we're here to help!! :)

Well - ditto BigG re using hammerite - remember to buy the caliper cleaner too first though. Painting the hub section and edge of the disc will be fine too.

As for your interior issues - the door panel rip - keep your peepers peeled on ebay for a replacement or there are a few mini breakers about too - shouldn't cost too much to replace.

The plastic damage - there are a few options around - some swear by using the back of a spoon to flatten down the scratch and then rub with a black china pencil or a similar coloured permanent marker then apply a vinyl dressing to the whole panel - it will never make it good as new but will make it less obvious - the seat backs are another area which get a hammering!

:)

Coop
20th October 2006, 10:15 PM
Painted my calipers, got heat resistant stuff from Halfords £5.99. Nice thick coats and yer fine! Was serviced a few days later and they didn't say anything about it. :)

Mon the fish
21st October 2006, 03:51 AM

I'll second that :D

illegalhunter
21st October 2006, 04:37 AM
you will end up with rsi with all that typing

vintageb3
21st October 2006, 04:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Mark - welcome along - don't worry about asking too many questions - we're here to help!! :)

Well - ditto BigG re using hammerite - remember to buy the caliper cleaner too first though. Painting the hub section and edge of the disc will be fine too.

As for your interior issues - the door panel rip - keep your peepers peeled on ebay for a replacement or there are a few mini breakers about too - shouldn't cost too much to replace.

The plastic damage - there are a few options around - some swear by using the back of a spoon to flatten down the scratch and then rub with a black china pencil or a similar coloured permanent marker then apply a vinyl dressing to the whole panel - it will never make it good as new but will make it less obvious - the seat backs are another area which get a hammering!

:)

AH!...the Buffmeister has spoken! :) Never thought of painting the hub. Good Idea!

I will get round to this over the winter months...just now because of work...I can't get near the car....and I will be away all November so can't do it then. So sunny December and January will be the time for all that stuff.

Don't know what a Black china pencil is but will find out...and I will need advice of the vinyl treatment nearer the time.

Thanks Wul!

mark

vintageb3
21st October 2006, 04:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by Coop

Painted my calipers, got heat resistant stuff from Halfords £5.99. Nice thick coats and yer fine! Was serviced a few days later and they didn't say anything about it. :)

Yo Coop!

Thanks for the heads up...

Did you paint the edges of the disk too?

mark

Alfie
21st October 2006, 07:38 AM
I have always used black hammerite, then a glossy lacquer on top - keeps things looking new(ish)

james f
21st October 2006, 07:46 AM

that costs 800 quid paint costs 20 :p

Smitty
21st October 2006, 08:22 AM
I painted my calipars reds and the hubs silver, both with hammerite paint and so far so good.:cool:

No signs of paint flaking off, and has also been for a service and there were no complaints from the mechanics.

Just make sure before you paint them to give them a good rub down with a wire brush, some emirary paper, then a quick wash and let them dry off!!:)

james f
21st October 2006, 09:44 PM
im just debating what colour to do mine as my cars red so im not sure i whant red callipers im thinking gold or yellow

ajamesj
22nd October 2006, 05:18 AM
I have mine painted with body coloured paint and have covered about 14000 miles with them like this and no problems so far just needin a clean again always covered in brake dust.

Coop
24th October 2006, 02:54 AM
Hi mark - Didn't touch the disks on my car as they're fine, canna help you there Im afraid.