PDA

View Full Version : what oil should i use

soopercooper
20th October 2006, 06:16 AM
im going to get the oil changed on my mini,i know it requires 0w-30 oil.iv been recommended castrol edge fully synthetic oil,

any suggestions please

SpongeBob
20th October 2006, 06:19 AM
Bmw/Mini recommend Castrol SLX which is a fully synthetic 0/30 grade,And you will need 4.5 Litres,Should Be in stock at Bmw dealers.Hope this helps.

Wul
20th October 2006, 04:31 PM
On previous MINI's I have used a Miller oil synthetic equivalent too - they have data sheets recommending the oil that should be used and their own equivalent - it was half the price of castrol as I got it through my employers account.

It was XF Longlife 0w30 - £42.55 + VAT for 5 litres on their website. http://www.millersoils.net/index2.html But i'm sure I only paid about £25 for it.

Gorbash12346
26th October 2006, 04:39 AM
castrol SLX LL04 0w-30 is the same as that of the same weight fully synthetic of castrol edge but edge is just the non trade name i.e. the exact same oil but with a different name to appeal to customers

if your doing an oil change it depends on wether you remove the filter and drain the housing how much oil you should be putting back in

no filter change it's usuall 4 litres but play safe and go 3.8 and top it up slowly from there regular checking...

filter change and drain housing 4.3 litres is just about always bang on
also take extra special care when putting the oil filter back in as the seal can move off it'seat very easily and get pinched between the housing... resulting in a very oily mess the moment the engine starts