PDA

View Full Version : Running In

The Bull
19th October 2006, 07:12 PM
How do you run in your cars?

Like most of you I follow the manufacturers instructions so that my warranty is valid but these guys (Mototune-USA (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)) reckon you should do the opposite.

It all makes sense but I'm not sure I would be keen doing it. Loads of guys on the Civic forum have tried it and swear by it. They say their cars are more fuel efficient and use less or no oil.

Worth a look. Check out the F3 pistons.

james f
20th October 2006, 01:25 AM
i ran mine in (ish) given the second chance id have just driven it normaly and changed the oil after the run in period and then every 5k form then on but this is my opionion and like most things im probably wrong :)

but our tritec lump is a glutton for punishment and loves a thashing from what ive heard honda lumps are a bit more civilised

X30YES
20th October 2006, 03:51 AM
JCW running in instructions ....in short ,various speeds and rev's >4500 to 5000 max after that its fun fun fun

The Bull
20th October 2006, 04:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

JCW running in instructions ....in short ,various speeds and rev's >4500 to 5000 max after that its fun fun fun

That's pretty what they recommend for any pistol engined car. The first 20 miles are critical! If you don't give it the runs at that time then you've missed the window. My MCS used to use quite a bit of oil and I know that is probably due to the supercharger using it but I would be interested to know how a MCS engine would compare if it had been run in to Mototunes instructions. i.e. Thrashed from day one! :D

X30YES
20th October 2006, 04:38 AM
Thrashed from day one!......[quote] John Barrie ...its under warranty :D:D:D