PDA

View Full Version : sidelight / headlights...?

indigomatt
16th October 2006, 11:24 PM
Afternoon

Jus a query that some of you are bound to know...

I often see Mini’s running around with there sidelights on, that also include a low watt bulb in their main headlights. Yet ma Mini (Jan 06) only does the wee lights, is this due to thr year or model, halogen light option or having fog lights...?

M.

The Dogfather
16th October 2006, 11:47 PM
Anybody who drives with their PARKING lights on needs a slap. If you need lights it should be main ones only. Rant Over :D

Burple
17th October 2006, 12:07 AM
I didn't think it was possible to have a small bulb running in the main headlights as well as the side lights..

The sidelights are the ones in the same wee cluster as the indicators, Fog lights are below that (if fitted). Apart from that there are no other bulbs on the front of the car except the main headlight and main beam ones..

Might it just be the case that these numpties are running about with their sidelights on AND their fog lights? Anybody doing that (unless it's so foggy you can't see your feet) need a good slap :D

indigomatt
17th October 2006, 12:14 AM
Of course I would only use them (parking lights) as per;

225: Parking in fog. It is especially dangerous to park on the road in fog. If it is unavoidable, leave your parking lights or sidelights on. (If a vehicle is parked on a road which does not have a 30mph speed limit, parking lights must be used. Any road which has street lighting no more than 200 yards apart, unless otherwise shown, will be a 30mph speed limit.)

On occation I do stick them on at the turn of dusk/dawn when some street-lights are on and some off n'also passing over low black rain threatening clouds...

Neway tis not as bad as having fog lights on with nay fog about...!

What about Volvo's...?

Gismo
17th October 2006, 12:54 AM
Hmm, to say that fog lights light up the road so that the driver can see better is absolute tosh :p no offence meant to anyone ;):D
As for volvo's, they don't have their fogs on, just side lights are activated with the ignition ;) in any case, it should be illegal to only have sidelights on when in fact you need dipped beam

The Dogfather
17th October 2006, 04:31 PM
If its nearly dark why not have your dipped beam on?

If you're being followed by a car with it's lights on and you've only got PARKING LIGHTS on you can't be seen. Sidelights are for parking only!

Or are you trying to save electricity? :D

The Bull
17th October 2006, 06:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Anybody who drives with their PARKING lights on needs a slap. If you need lights it should be main ones only. Rant Over :D

I agree. My wife does it and it drives me mad. I suppose I feel this way because my driving instructor hada rant about it when I was learning (yes, many moons ago!) and it's become a bug bear of mine too.

If it's dark enough to make you think you need some sort of lighting, put some decent lighting on!

PACMAN
17th October 2006, 07:49 PM
HIGHWAY CODE ABOUT SIDE LIGHT

93: You MUST

use headlights at night, except on restricted roads (those with street lights not more than 185 metres (600 feet) apart and which are generally subject to a speed limit of 30 mph)
use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201).
ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit at night.
Laws RVLR regs 24 & 25 & RV(R&L)R reg 19

:approve:

The Dogfather
17th October 2006, 08:15 PM
Can't believe that they allow people to not use headlights in built up areas, that's mad.

Time for a revision me thinks

PACMAN
17th October 2006, 08:23 PM

Can't believe that they allow people to not use headlights in built up areas, that's mad.

More to the point... think how much money the police could rack in if they inforced this law :eek:
everyone drive with the headlight on except indigomatt ;)

The Bull
18th October 2006, 06:07 AM

They don't.

95: You should also

* use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
* keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming traffic
* slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.

Wul
18th October 2006, 03:06 PM
Wow - been ages since I read the highway code - cheers guys ;) Correct me if i'm wrong VB but it is impossible to drive the car with the parking lights on as the indicator would take over and keep flashing making people think you were a bit strange. :p However it is possible to drive with the side lights on. IMHO there are certain levels of light - especially at this time of year where there is no need to have your dipped headlights on when out of built up areas but still better to have rear lights lit to help others see you. No or is that just me? 8)

X30YES
18th October 2006, 03:23 PM
Parking lts ...are we on about the side lights here ?

The Dogfather
18th October 2006, 04:24 PM
Parking/Sidelight same thing, if you're driving and you think you need light then it should be main lights on dipped beam at least!

indigomatt
18th October 2006, 04:27 PM
I've now no idea what lights are what :D but what about the low watt looking light in the main headlights...:question:

GAJ
18th October 2006, 04:36 PM
I drive with just my sidelights on often, especially in dull weather and in twilight in built up areas with street lights. As far as I'm concerned that's the right thing to do. I only put my dipped beams on when it is dark!

stoney
18th October 2006, 04:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Hmm, to say that fog lights light up the road so that the driver can see better is absolute tosh :p no offence meant to anyone ;):D
As for volvo's, they don't have their fogs on, just side lights are activated with the ignition ;) in any case, it should be illegal to only have sidelights on when in fact you need dipped beam

it is the law in sweedon 2 have ur side lights on at all times day or night that is why the volvo comes on with the ignition :D

The Dogfather
18th October 2006, 04:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I drive with just my sidelights on often, especially in dull weather and in twilight in built up areas with street lights. As far as I'm concerned that's the right thing to do. I only put my dipped beams on when it is dark!

Next time you're on the motorway in heavy traffic and spray and a car/lorry pulls out on you, you'll be at fault. You can't be seen.

Next time you're in traffic in dull conditions like fog and someone pulls out on you, you'll be at fault. You can't be seen.

BTW I'm only repeating what the police told us at a winter drving course. I think they have a better idea about what's the right thing to do than you Gaj.

GAJ
18th October 2006, 05:16 PM
If it's foggy, I put on my fog lights; if the conditions are severe enough on the motorway then I use dipped lights. My point is that I think it's acceptable to drive with sidelights on in dull weather and at twilight in built up areas.

The Dogfather
18th October 2006, 05:25 PM
So you know better than an experienced police officer who has investigated hundreds of accidents?

Fog lights should only be used when the conditions are really bad otherwise they just dazzle. If you can give one reason why sidelights are better than main lights I'd be very very surprised.

The Bull
18th October 2006, 06:57 PM

If it's foggy, I put on my fog lights; if the conditions are severe enough on the motorway then I use dipped lights. My point is that I think it's acceptable to drive with sidelights on in dull weather and at twilight in built up areas.

I know what you are saying Gaj but what we (I think I can speak for you in this case VB?) are saying is that if it's dull or twilight and you think it merits putting on your sidelights, surely it's better to put on your headlights? For safety reasons. Am I right VB? What are you gaining by just putting on the sidelights? Not draining the battery too much? :D

Scottie
18th October 2006, 07:08 PM
Can I just say that the Halo side lights look way cool when switched on.;) They are so cool you just want to have them on alone.:cool:

whitemini54
18th October 2006, 07:11 PM
wot are those Fiona? Where do u get them? Im sure I seen a mini with them on the other day and nearly crashed trying to get a peek at them:I

GAJ
18th October 2006, 07:14 PM
My point is just that I often drive with sidelights on when it's a wee bit dull - when the vast majority of other drivers are driving without any lights, and it would be overkill (IMHO) to put on dipped beams. In other words I am using the sidelights instead of driving with no lights. When the conditions merit it, I switch to dipped headlights.

I'm not claiming that sidelights are better than main lights, nor that I can piss higher than you, or even that my dad is bigger than your dad - so you can pick your toys back up now VB!;)

Scottie
18th October 2006, 07:19 PM

My point is just that I often drive with sidelights on when it's a wee bit dull - when the vast majority of other drivers are driving without any lights, and it would be overkill (IMHO) to put on dipped beams. In other words I am using the sidelights instead of driving with no lights. When the conditions merit it, I switch to dipped headlights.

I'm not claiming that sidelights are better than main lights, nor that I can piss higher than you, or even that my dad is bigger than your dad - so you can pick your toys back up now VB!;)

I always found that the one.

"My Mum makes better soup than you Mum" to be a good one.;):p

Scottie
18th October 2006, 07:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by whitemini54

wot are those Fiona? Where do u get them? Im sure I seen a mini with them on the other day and nearly crashed trying to get a peek at them:I

you can find them here (http://www.newministuff.com) I also have led repeaters bulbs front and rear which are IMO a must for the halo lights.

The Bull
18th October 2006, 07:31 PM

That's basically it mate. Difference of opinion, that's all. :D

We all have our owns views and opinions.

I just think that it's not "overkill" to put your headlights lights on if it's a bit dull, though if I had Halos I might just put the sidelights on! :p:p:p

The Dogfather
18th October 2006, 07:32 PM
Gaj, you probably can piss higher than me you have a head start.

However, if you think you need lights when driving they should be dipped main not sidelights. Sidelights are feckin useless when it comes to being seen and there's no such thing as overkill (as long as you're not dazzling other road users) when it comes to being seen.

As for only halo's or driving with foglights cause they look cool, you don't just need a slap you need to have your licence taken away.

Scottie
18th October 2006, 07:36 PM

As for only halo's or driving with foglights cause they look cool, you don't just need a slap you need to have your licence taken away.

o'oooo hark a you ;):p

PACMAN
18th October 2006, 07:40 PM
you can always paint your car bright yellow instead of black

:eek::blackeye::D

Scottie
18th October 2006, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

or better still all Pepper White trust me everyone see you coming lights or no lights.

The Dogfather
18th October 2006, 08:00 PM
:D

PACMAN
18th October 2006, 08:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

or better still all Pepper White trust me everyone see you coming lights or no lights.

:eek::eek::eek:

euan
18th October 2006, 09:08 PM
My view - sidelights are fine when driving when it's a bit dull - I quite often drive with my sidelights on the motorway just to be seen as lorries are a law unto themselves so I take no chances with them. I also have been known to put on my dipped lights during the day when it's really busy on the motorway and muppets are lane changing left right and centre. So shoot me, but you won't crash into me because you didn't see me.

alanm73
19th October 2006, 03:00 AM
Why dont you just leave the lights on auto and the light sensor will put the headlights and sidelights on when it decides it's dark enough and saves you the bother.

Problem Solved

Wul
19th October 2006, 03:43 AM
alan - we don't all have the visibilty pack on our cars :( so need to resort to manually swithcing them on.

And there are times during the day when people driving with dipped headlights can still dazzle you - or even worse - not notice they accidently stuck high beam on and because it's light enough inside the car can;t notice the blue indicator lit up. Especially in slow moving traffic and they are behind you. A problem you don't get if they only had their side lights on.

sedgie
19th October 2006, 03:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

My view - sidelights are fine when driving when it's a bit dull - I quite often drive with my sidelights on the motorway just to be seen as lorries are a law unto themselves so I take no chances with them. I also have been known to put on my dipped lights during the day when it's really busy on the motorway and muppets are lane changing left right and centre. So shoot me, but you won't crash into me because you didn't see me.

I totally agree i do the same:approve:

The Dogfather
19th October 2006, 04:34 PM
Well I spoke to an ex traffic-cop who now works for us, his advice was if you fancy getting 3 points and a fine carry on driving with parking lights. Parking lights are for parking only, you might also find you get the blame in an accident.

Scottie
19th October 2006, 04:38 PM

Well I spoke to an ex traffic-cop who now works for us, his advice was if you fancy getting 3 points and a fine carry on driving with parking lights. Parking lights are for parking only, you might also find you get the blame in an accident.

you know until this thread started I didn't even know "side lights" were "parking Lights" :I

I always thought they were just side lights a light to used before it got to dark/dull/overcast for the dip beam lights to go on.

The Dogfather
19th October 2006, 04:50 PM
Driving home last night the number of people who obviously must think the same is unbelievable especially given the conditions.

Scottie
19th October 2006, 04:58 PM

Driving home last night the number of people who obviously must think the same is unbelievable especially given the conditions.

so why do car manufactures not call them parking lights then.???

X30YES
19th October 2006, 05:00 PM
Parking lights .... how can you drive with parking lights on ... you on about side lights or what , 3 points and a fine for having your lights on ...what a load o p^&£ .... I say daylight running lights should be compulsory and automatically come on when the light levels drop , rain mist or fog as well

The Dogfather
19th October 2006, 05:14 PM
Angus, if you drive in poor weather conditions/low light conditions with parking lights on you are committing an offence same as you would if driving without lights.

The only difference being you're actually saying I think the conditions justify putting lights on, but I'm a tightwad so I'll only put my side/parking lights.

GAJ
19th October 2006, 05:20 PM
Well I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say that I think that your ex-traffic cop mate is talking pish!:D

MMM - ask your traffic cop mate!

Scottie
19th October 2006, 05:41 PM

Angus, if you drive in poor weather conditions/low light conditions with parking lights on you are committing an offence same as you would if driving without lights.

The only difference being you're actually saying I think the conditions justify putting lights on, but I'm a tightwad so I'll only put my side/parking lights.

Paul are you 100% sure they are now called "parking Light" I've just been out a read my D3 Manual.

I have - adaptive head lights - side lights - cornering lights.

(if any one wants to know what cornering lights just ask.);):p:approve:

The Dogfather
19th October 2006, 05:44 PM
No matter what they are called the lights are for parking only, calling them sidelights or parking lights makes no difference.

OBN
19th October 2006, 05:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Parking lights .... how can you drive with parking lights on ... you on about side lights or what , 3 points and a fine for having your lights on ...what a load o p^&£ .... I say daylight running lights should be compulsory and automatically come on when the light levels drop , rain mist or fog as well

I disagree with the daylight running lights being made compulsory due to the fact that if everyone had them on this would make the bike (which has the dipped beam on as soon as ignition turned on) blend in.

A bit selfish I know, but most car drivers have a hard time seeing bikes as it is.

The Bull
19th October 2006, 06:44 PM
Fair point.

S7JGW
19th October 2006, 07:41 PM
I useually just use my dipped headlamps when it gets dull and poor vizability.
Where i work at First it is a company pollicy to drive at all times with dipped headlamps on. Not sure if its just an Aberdeen policy but i think its a good idea saves everyone wondering which lights to use.
Jim

KenL
19th October 2006, 08:50 PM

No matter what they are called the lights are for parking only, calling them sidelights or parking lights makes no difference.

Bollox :D

Parking lights are where you activate the sidelights on one side only by operating the indicator stalk when you switch off the engine.

I always use my dipped beams when it is getting dark or the weather is really poor. I will though use my sidelights (yes that's what they are called :p) if driving in town when it is a little bit murky.

The Bull
19th October 2006, 09:36 PM
Cracking topic! :p

euan
19th October 2006, 10:01 PM
I'm with Ken on this.

Parking lights are where you (well, this was what I've done in all my other cars) turn the indicator left or right depending on what light you want on to incate that your car is parked and which side is outside to the road. It's not possible to drive with parking lights on as you'd be driving down the road with your indicator on.

Sidelights are (in mini context) the small lamps next to the indicator (and I think they have some light in the headlights - I can't recall).

euan
19th October 2006, 10:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by OBN

I disagree with the daylight running lights being made compulsory due to the fact that if everyone had them on this would make the bike (which has the dipped beam on as soon as ignition turned on) blend in.

A bit selfish I know, but most car drivers have a hard time seeing bikes as it is.

I seem to recall reading that in France it's going to be made compulsary to drive with some form of lights on all the time from next year - could be wrong though.

You make a very valid point! I'd feel very exposed on a bike in traffic and if your major differentiating factor to being seen is taken away, it would make it harder to see bikes.

The Dogfather
19th October 2006, 10:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Bollox :D

Parking lights are where you activate the sidelights on one side only by operating the indicator stalk when you switch off the engine.

Bollocks back, my parking lights aren't operated by the indicators, my MX5s and Fiesta <crap car> weren't either. Vauxhall do but I believe that this is a requirement in some European Countries.

Sidelights are Parking Lights and they are only for parking.

The Dogfather
19th October 2006, 11:05 PM
If you try to drive a Ford Ka with parking lights the car automatically switches on the main lights but at a slightly lower level than normal dipped beam....... why?

PACMAN
19th October 2006, 11:10 PM

If you try to drive a Ford Ka with parking lights the car automatically switches on the main lights but at a slightly lower level than normal dipped beam....... why?

because ford is american and they're lazy to turn on the lights ;)

The Dogfather
19th October 2006, 11:14 PM
I think one of my chitreons did the same

PACMAN
19th October 2006, 11:22 PM

I think one of my chitreons did the same

was it a C5

The Dogfather
19th October 2006, 11:40 PM
Nah, AX

PACMAN
20th October 2006, 12:19 AM

Nah, AX

probably wired incorrectly :D:D french crap

Wul
20th October 2006, 12:49 AM

Hey VB - what were you saying about your ex-copper friend again? How can they issue you with three points for complying with the highway code? :p:p:eek:

use headlights at night, except on restricted roads (those with street lights not more than 185 metres (600 feet) apart and which are generally subject to a speed limit of 30 mph)

94: You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.
Law RVLR reg 27

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming traffic
slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.

PACMAN
20th October 2006, 12:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Hey VB - what were you saying about your ex-copper friend again? How can they issue you with three points for complying with the highway code? :p:p:eek:

94: You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.
Law RVLR reg 27

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming traffic
slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.

that why he is a ex-copper now :D:D:D didn't know the highway code

Clare1
20th October 2006, 01:58 AM
Never seen such a debate on lights before!!!:plol

PACMAN
20th October 2006, 02:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Clare1

Never seen such a debate on lights before!!!:plol

do you care to shed the dealer light on it ;)

Wul
20th October 2006, 02:14 AM
It's certainly brightened my day!! :p;)

i'll get me coat!

Mini Ecosse
20th October 2006, 02:36 AM
Wow, what an interesting debate on parking lights. Just 2 keep u all going you may be interested 2 no our European cousins are trying to enforce the use of driving with dipped headlights at all times during daylight hours in the UK to come in line with other EU countries.

X30YES
20th October 2006, 03:47 AM
I'm with Ken,parking lts are for parking

KenL
20th October 2006, 06:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by OBN

Well, (he says adding fuel to the fire) a lot of bikers I see are not scared, in fact, they drive like complete ar*eholes:eek:.

I've lost count of the amount who drive like twats around the Edinburgh bypass. Weaving in and out overtaking on any side, between lanes of traffic (moving at 50mph or so). I've even had one guy overtaking me on my RHS when I am in the outside lane overtaking. Yes, between me and the gravel/barrier. Some really have a death wish - rant over :p

The Dogfather
20th October 2006, 04:58 PM
Wul, they can give you points for the fact that you are not driving with dipped main beam in poor visibility conditions. Side lights are not dim dip main beam.

Wul
20th October 2006, 05:06 PM
I agree VB - in that situation they deserve to get points - but that's not what your post said - I read it that your ex-copper meant it at anytime - common sense surely prevails - well with some of us - i realise there are people out there with a distinct lack of the stuff! 8)

The Dogfather
20th October 2006, 05:13 PM
Wul - That my post that's incorrect not the ex-copper, his advice was that if people drive with sidelights on in low visibilty conditions then they would get 3 points (or more) and would be held responsible in a accident.

Also having your lights on during daytime hours doesn't dazzle as long a they are correctly adjusted

indigomatt
20th October 2006, 06:01 PM
Also having your lights on during daytime hours doesn't dazzle as long a they are correctly adjusted

Aye but most people when carrying folk in the back or heavy lugage dont' move the little wheel to adjust the lights :dead:

M

Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the giraffe and the other to fill the bathtub with brightly colored machine tools.

Scottie
20th October 2006, 06:54 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/s010.gif about bl00dy lights.:D

Big Col
20th October 2006, 07:31 PM
Couldn't agree more Fi!

The Dogfather
20th October 2006, 07:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Couldn't agree more Fi!

You found a job yet, ya layabout :p

Gismo
20th October 2006, 07:47 PM
I refuse to post in this thread 8);):p:D

Wul
20th October 2006, 10:17 PM
"lighten up" Fiona!! :p;)

Scottie
20th October 2006, 10:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

"lighten up" Fiona!! :p;)

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/n015.gif :D

AndyP & Lenore
20th October 2006, 10:51 PM
I thought about adding in the issue of some people's illegally over-tinted windows causing even more problems for those who only drive with their side lights on. But then I thought better of it. Don't want to stir things up even more.:eek::D:cool:

A:D