PDA

View Full Version : my steering problem help please

james f
16th October 2006, 09:33 AM
ok as well documented ive had horrsendus problems with my steering i will do my best to descibie whats wrong and have attached a pic

ok when steering the wheel turns just under a turn and a half one way and over a turn and a half another ive checked this in a mates cooper and his dose 1 turn and a half both was dead on

to sum up when it all stared i had a steering colum fail but thought was the tracking out at fist and took it to an independant alingment place and they foud the TOE out on the front and adjusted a week later mini replaced the colum and the steering was still wrong so had a KDS alingment done by mini and they found the other place has serously meesed the TOE out on turns up

ok so i though prob sloved NO my steering still goes more one way than the other help me and when i hold the car stright the steering wheel inst

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/thelostriots/steering.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2006, 09:56 AM
It sounds to me like a double whammy....

First of all, the original company you asked to check the wheel alignment must have screwed that up - lesson learned: always get BMW to do the KDS - expensive, yes, but worth it in the end.

Secondly, it sounds like when the steering column was replaced they didn't set the steering wheel at center position when attaching to the (rack?) or whatever it is they attach it to. Would seem like sloppy work if they did.

Neat graphic, but shouldn't the bottom (blue) arrow be pointing in the opposite direction? Or have I missed the point entirely?
A.

X30YES
16th October 2006, 10:42 AM
"it sounds like when the steering column was replaced they didn't set the steering wheel at center position "

Check the arrow/notch line up ..........remove the air bag and have a look ... get ready to get the fright of your life when you hit the horn terminals though :p....

james f
16th October 2006, 07:40 PM
@ andy on the bottom graphic yeah it should be the other way (was late late when i did it) but if doing the wheels dosent help im going to get the following checked; see if theres any play in the track rod ends, any damage to the rack (acctual power steering feels fine

SpongeBob
16th October 2006, 08:06 PM
Cant get pics here but what size of wheels are fitted?as some of the 18" are supposed to get a steering limiter put on to stop the wheels turning so far(possibly one side fitted only???)

james f
17th October 2006, 04:10 AM
ive got standard 16's and runflats all this started after the after market placed did the alingment mini did a KDS a month ago but the car still feels off to me and the steering thing is relay bugging me

SpongeBob
17th October 2006, 04:16 AM
Possible trackrod end wear i know we sell a few of these so every chance it could be that.

X30YES
17th October 2006, 04:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by SpongeBob

Possible trackrod end wear i know we sell a few of these so every chance it could be that.
Trackrod end wear ...the car can only be a couple of years old !!!:(

james f
17th October 2006, 04:58 AM
yeah its been drven very spiritedly for a couple of years infact its had a very enthousiastic 29k most non motorway but i think it was my old back road commute to my last job with more pot holes than road that could have done this but will probs get it sorted when i can afford works supsesion and just get the front bushes done as well

SpongeBob
17th October 2006, 05:14 AM
Doesnt really matter age of car it depends on usage/road conditions etc,any part can fail especially wear parts eg brakes,suspension,steering as they are used constantly,would get it checked by a dealer tho

john
17th October 2006, 05:14 AM
The track-rods must be screwed on a different amount of turns,therefore the steering column is straight and the wheels aare straight but the rack is not in the centre position.

If the alighnment was out and not adjusted evenly between the two sides then the rack would be offset and the steering wheel too,but if the column was replaced and in the centre position without checking the geometry then it would result in the wheel being straight and the rack being off-set!!

And thats what you have :);)

john
17th October 2006, 05:16 AM
PS your steering wheel does not look very safe (in the drawing):D

james f
17th October 2006, 09:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

If the alighnment was out and not adjusted evenly between the two sides then the rack would be offset and the steering wheel too,but if the column was replaced and in the centre position without checking the geometry then it would result in the wheel being straight and the rack being off-set!!

And thats what you have :);)

:Dthank you so much ive been trying to say this to the dealer for 34 months and they dont belive they said theres no way the rack wasnt centered i think a trip to a diff dealer is in order