PDA

View Full Version : New Cooper - smaller fuel tank!

lightbody
14th October 2006, 08:34 PM
Was flicking through the new MINI brochure that I got yesterday when making myself MINI-less....

and I noticed that the new Cooper only has a 40 litre fuel tank, whereas the S has a 50 litre one.

Seems odd. Thats only 3 litres more than my 1994 Cooper's tank!

Gismo
14th October 2006, 10:28 PM
If the reports regarding better fuel consumption are correct then it makes economic senses for BMW to install a smaller tank that gives similar distance

AndyP & Lenore
14th October 2006, 10:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

If the reports regarding better fuel consumption are correct then it makes economic senses for BMW to install a smaller tank that gives similar distance

Erm.. well...... "why?" Why not have the same size of tank and just give the car longer range? I suppose there will be all sorts of reasons... at the end of the day they do pack a fair bit into a small space.:approve:

Heather
14th October 2006, 11:13 PM
Two words..........Cost Cutting;)

Duncan Stewart
18th October 2006, 03:33 AM
Mis-print perhaps? seems daft and I would have thought more expensive to make different tanks for the different models.

Mark R
18th October 2006, 07:43 AM
I'm sure I heard it had something to do with the way the exhaust is routed on the Cooper. It was a while back though so I'm not sure now.

Clare1
21st October 2006, 06:03 PM
The R56 Cooper has a 40litre tank and the CooperS stays the same with a 50litre tank.

Gismo
21st October 2006, 06:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Clare1
The R56 Cooper has a 40litre tank and the CooperS stays the same with a 50litre tank.Yep, but why ;)

Smitty
21st October 2006, 09:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by Clare1
The R56 Cooper has a 40litre tank and the CooperS stays the same with a 50litre tank.Yep, but why ;)

Weight saving perhaps?? With a 50litre tank, fully loaded with petrol, perhaps it affects road handling or even reduces fuel economy?

Can't really think of any other logical reason!!