PDA

View Full Version : Dinnae Believe it!!

Wul
23rd December 2003, 05:22 AM
:( Well picked my car up from easterns today after it's inspection 1 service and a list of faults to be investigated.....and surprise surprise it's booked to go back in for:

Drivers seat base, lumbar support and back to be replaced
Passenger seat base and back to be replaced
New updated steering column.

Also checking up on the 1st gear problem!

Bugger - here we go again!:blackeye::(:dead:

macblob
23rd December 2003, 06:24 AM
Man that sucks Wul, sorry to hear that, I think my driver seat is starting to squeak again but im doing my best to ignore it, and also my gear lever squeak putting it in 1st, 3rd or 5th is back too , but ive re greased parts under the gear lever gator so ill see if that helps

KenL
23rd December 2003, 05:30 PM
How many seat backs/bases have you had replaced now Wul?

My drivers seat creaks/squeaks occasionally but I'm not sure that it's worth fixing.

What did you think of Eastern then?

Tahra
24th December 2003, 09:06 PM
Thats what we had replaced on the Coop, according to Dunedin it was all in my head but Eastern dit the whole replacement thing...Only had it done the once though, what a bummer. It was truly one of the pleasures of getting a new one, hassle free seats and tip-back/recline system which almost works !!! Wont last though will it ??????

Wul
26th December 2003, 09:38 PM
Well it will be my second replacement steering column, second replacement drivers seat bits, and first time on the passenger side although it has been stripped and re-built a couple of times!

Thought Eastern were fine- and unlike other dealers they actually called me in the afternoon to say the car was ready - normally that call comes at 16.59!!

the squeaky seat thing is ignorable (if this is a word!) for a time but after two months it has got worse and worse!

Willie M
27th December 2003, 08:29 AM
Jeez Wul, you must really, really love the MINI. What with all the hassles and faults you've had to contend with.

I nominate Wul as NMS's 'Most Tolerant' of 2003 :cool::D

Seriously though, I hope you get all these things resolved.

weefossy
27th December 2003, 08:56 AM
Wul, sorry to hear about you continuing problems. It might not be too late to use "the sale of goods act". That's how we swapped to the "S". Speak to me on Sunday.

Gismo
27th December 2003, 07:09 PM
Wul,
As Malcolm suggested i'd be looking to reject the car, i think you've more than played your part in allowing them (the dealer) to sort your car.
Time to hand it back and get a replacement :p

Bonnie Scotland

Wul
27th December 2003, 10:51 PM
I know what you guys mean but been here already! - my previous barrage to MINI UK got me a comp deal from Dunedins - but that doesn't excuse recurring faults - the reality of the sale of goods act is that you legally are only entitled to reject up to a few weeks from new - after that it is a case-by case basis.

But never fear - i know the name and address of the Scottish Area manager for BMW and will be writing to her again for an answer to the reasons why it keeps happening and how they are going to prevent this!

shoppie
28th December 2003, 01:40 AM
Wul

Check out http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

If the car is spending too much time in the workshop, then you should advise Easterns that you intend to reject the car on those grounds. After all you bought the car to drive - not to leave it with them now and again!

Wul
6th January 2004, 05:50 PM
Letter went off to MINI(UK) yesterday so we'll see what they have to say this time!

:(

ELFMAN
7th January 2004, 05:39 PM
Wul, can sympathise. Picked up S on Christmas Eve, drove it home (4 miles) - big rattle from passenger side to left of back seat, thought it was a loose speaker. Took it back, not chuffed. Drove around with bloke from dealer in back seat, who said “Oh aye, there's quite a bad rattle” DOH....

They looked at it and then put it on a hoist. Turns out that the pipe from the FUEL FILLER CAP to the tank wasn't clipped in properly and was banging around - Nice one. Let's hear it for quality control! Kind of took the shine off the occasion, but at least it's sorted (for now...).

BMW really need to get these (very) niggly problems sorted out, as I believe the Americans are moaning about the same things as we are. Why risk tainting a fantastic car for the sake of a few quid's worth of dodgy parts or lax quality checks? I mean, they've had three years now to identify and rectify this sort of thing.

Anyway, I love the car, but am driving with one ear tuned for knocks or rattles!

Wul
7th January 2004, 06:59 PM
Glad to hear you prob was sorted sharpish Elfman - but what a way to dull a momentous occasion - especially on crimbo eve!

When i picked mine up from new got a mile down the road when i noticed the steering wheel was on squint! KenL's was the same!

I reckon the QC dudes are too busy playing playstation 2 to bother their @rses! ;)

The reality is that having spent between 11 and 20k on a new car i'm sure were all entitled to expect good quality and not a rattly bag of nails!

Hope you don't get anymore probs now!

KenL
7th January 2004, 07:49 PM
Yes, my steering wheel was squint. Should never have made it past factory QC or the dealer pre-delivery inspection. :disapprove:

ELFMAN - I thought your car looked great on the run, I hope it will be perfect from now on.

I believe things are getting better all the time from the factory. Hopefully my next one will be perfect ;)

ELFMAN
7th January 2004, 09:34 PM
Cheers Ken, Cheque's in the post! You do get a better class of person in this club.

Here's a thought. If any club member has a SERIOUS problem with a Dealer/BMW which doesn't seem to be getting resolved, we shouldn't hesitate to use the combined resources of the club to support our member and hassle the guilty party/ies.

If we have the address for, say, the BMW Scottish Area Manager, they could perhaps be approached by the club on behalf of the individual.

With added “weight” behind the complaint and the threat of bad publicity from a fairly substantial, knowledgable, connected and vocal segment of MINI owners, they might take more notice. Hopefully a problem would be sorted before it got to that stage, but it should be a course of action available to us.

Power to the People, comrades!!

KenL
7th January 2004, 09:55 PM
Good idea Elfman.

I suggest you as our spokesperson :)

ELFMAN
7th January 2004, 11:23 PM
I'm up for that - Mr. Angry letters etc. a speciality. I could be a wee literary version of yon Vin Diesel in “Triple X”.

Sort of “ELF 2-Stroke”, though that might lead to misunderstandings.....

Burple
8th January 2004, 08:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

I'm up for that - Mr. Angry letters etc. a speciality. I could be a wee literary version of yon Vin Diesel in “Triple X”.

Sort of “ELF 2-Stroke”, though that might lead to misunderstandings.....

Bwah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! :D:D:D:cool: