PDA

View Full Version : gritters

minidriver#1
22nd December 2003, 12:40 AM
i ****in hate the bastards! how many of you have damage to your cars because of em ? i got nailed last night, badly :( the grit actually penetrated through the paint on my front aero bumper and now it looks like i have chicken poxs. Can the council be held responsible for damage caused due to gritters?

Monsta Mo Mini
22nd December 2003, 01:05 AM
It's a tricky one. Which is the lesser of the two evils? The risk of chipped paintwork...or far worse when you slide off the road into a lampost. I just stay well back or slow right down if there's one coming the other way.

minidriver#1
22nd December 2003, 02:44 AM
well thats just it, i did slow down, i waited till a good opportunity to overtake but it was like the gritter was spitting the stones out on full power or something. I'd rather not slip off the road obviously, but surely picking a better time other than just after tea time would be a better option.

Julz
22nd December 2003, 07:11 AM
Unfortunately, the spreaders have to out at around 4/5pm as this is when the chill starts to settle in the asphalt, but don't worry too much, it ain't grit, it's big lumps of Saxa table salt!:( (can you tell I used to be in road maintenance?)

Julz
22nd December 2003, 07:13 AM
Just had a thought KJ, if the salt has penetrated your paintwork, it isn't Tayside Contracts I'd be on to, it's the bodyshop who sprayed it, imagine what stones would do, that's a little worrying!:(:eek:

minidriver#1
22nd December 2003, 07:47 AM
you know what, someone from JC's said the same thing! you think i should speak to em?

Quik_Mini
22nd December 2003, 08:01 AM
Yea, worth a try at least eh :D

Julz
22nd December 2003, 07:35 PM
Definately, I know there was a guy who used to have a mini (Scott Shand!) who had his wheel arches etc. colour coded, and it started to peel, so he took it back and they re-sprayed it! Worth a try!!:clown:

Duncan Stewart
22nd December 2003, 07:56 PM
I've been well shotblasted by gritters going the other way on the way home several times now but not noticed any damage to my paintwork. Same with side panels - I was worried about car park scrapes with no side protector strips but the Mini paintwork seems pretty tough.

Quik_Mini
22nd December 2003, 10:32 PM
Yea had a couple of run ins with gritters myself, no damage at all so far :D and I think the Mini paintwork is seriously strong, some person driving a golf hit my wingmirror a lil while ago, a tiny chip out of mine and it didn't bend in, and hers was in pieces all over the floor :D (heheh sturdy as well)

Mini Martyn
22nd December 2003, 10:38 PM
Sorry to hear KJ, I am scared of them too. :(

minidriver#1
22nd December 2003, 10:56 PM
i'm going up this afternoon, they want a look at the car. Its strange that there is no damage elsewhere on the car.

sh@z
23rd December 2003, 07:14 AM
yeah, remember that your aero kit was painted in the body shop.. and ur car was painted @ factory. Might have something to do with it. i.e explain why no bodywork damage other then on ur front spoiler. Those gritters fairly throw out the salt... im afraid to go near one of em heh... let alone drive behind one.