PDA

View Full Version : Pulley fitting

midge
11th October 2006, 06:21 AM
Iam thinking of getting a pulley for my S, either the alta 15% or the M7 16%, and was wondering whereabouts in scotland I could get it fitted.

DJBlack
11th October 2006, 06:38 AM
...its not a difficult job for DIY...assuming you have basic tools and a jack...

Any competent garage should be able to do it for you - its not one for a main dealer really.

It is worth, however, ensuring that the puller you use is made for the job... not just some nasty three leg device...

Took me about 90mins soup to nuts...

DJ

midge
11th October 2006, 11:45 AM
Did you use the original belt or put a smaller one on?

DJBlack
12th October 2006, 01:33 AM
Hi...

I did fit a smaller one - I can advise part number later if you need it.

I was advised that a standard belt (I bought one from Eastern BMW) was ok for use with 15% which is backed up by several pulley manufacturers... but ended up going for a shorter one... just incase... based on no real reason other than it returns the tensioner back to the same position that the factory belt does with the std pulley...

So... if you have a spare £20 get a shorter one... or, more importantly, if the belt is more than about a year old, get a new one, as a bust belt can cause more hassle that its worth.

I bought a belt tension tool off ebay - there is a guy selling them there. His listing gives the impression that it a factory tool he is selling, which it is not!

The tool he sells is actually a well made copy of the drawing in the Haynes manual!

It is made with tool steel and is professionally made... but its not the BMW tool you thought you were buying. Its worth the money though, and handy to have for the future!

The tool is not as easy to use as the BMW one, but for the 10mins you will use it... its fine...

Where are you located?

DJ

midge
12th October 2006, 03:21 AM
Hi DJ, thanks for the info, will have a look at ebay for the removal tool, would I also need a belt tensioner tool? I'm located in Hamilton.

Cheers