PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Seats - advice needed!

ELFMAN
10th October 2006, 07:29 PM
As some of of you know, I'm looking into replacement seats :cool: for my 'S'. I've tried Gill's and Angus's JCW's :D (which I read in Modern MINI are Sparco) and was pretty impressed. I'm also looking at Recaros :p (various types). Couple of questions :question:

Are the GP's Recaros available from the Dealer? If so, how much?:( thought so.

Leather :kiss: Vs. Cloth? 8) - I reckoned the cloth might grip a bit more :clown:

Are there any problems :mad: when fitting (non Dealer) seats without Airbag :eek: gizmos, as the standard seats have them and the new ones won't.

Any info and advice would be handy. Ta ;)

SpongeBob
10th October 2006, 07:58 PM
Not listing retrofit Recaros From dealers unfortunately,

MartinSullivan
10th October 2006, 08:17 PM
If you fit seats without the airbags you have to get the dealer to disable them , some will charge some wont. Or you can buy a gizmo from various mini suppliers that fools the car into thinking the airbags are still fitted. The recaros are installed with airbags and are listed at 1900 quid each for full leather and heated option. They are very comfy though, I have been sat in mine the last 3 nights watching TV, really must look into putting them in the car I guess ;)

Scottie
10th October 2006, 09:09 PM
I would say the JCW seats take up alot of room in the interior of the car. Sounds funny I know but they just do. If you use the rear seats in your car the JCW don't allow for easy access.

The Recaros are much better but with they grey leather insert you got to watch wearing dark coloured jeans as the dye rubs off.

You could always go for a lovely set of Lounge Seats.;):p

X30YES
11th October 2006, 12:53 AM
The seats will be easy to install , if you have a torx ratchet set ,and here is the link MS sent me regarding dummy module (http://www.minimaniauk.com/web/Item/NMA1202/InvDetail.cfm).If you need a hand Im home on the 19th !.
Also on what seats to get ....its your (_!_)

johnsop1
11th October 2006, 03:51 AM
Hi - I got Reccaro's from a seller on MINI2.com. Only diffculty was I had to use the original runners - hope I can remember how refit on to orginal seats when I come to sell my car :). Seats were a lot lower even with subframes - I raised them by fitting steel tubes between runner and seat. Did lead to much less legroom in the back. Not too much of a problem cos' generally there is only me in the car. Job was fiddly but Hey it was worth it - much better than the original leather 'sports' seats.

Wish I'd known about the modules. I had several qoutes re the disabling the airbags. Local dealer (edin/borders) qouted approx £300.00. Got it done in Northampton (BMW/MINI dealer) when on holiday for around £100.00. Of course will now have to pay similar to get Airbags reactivated when I sell the car.

Also was speaking to Dealer the other day who said they would prefer to see Original Seats if I were to trade it in.

weefossy
20th October 2006, 04:50 AM
I think the JCW seats are better quality than our Recaros and give you more side support. Big plus for the Recaros is that they have electric hight adjustment, which is a must for Sioban and I, because unless you haven't noticed, we are a slightly different size.:D:D
Both seats make sitting in back a non starter.

illegalhunter
20th October 2006, 04:58 AM
recaros price would make your nose bleed

X30YES
20th October 2006, 05:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy

I think the JCW seats are better quality than our Recaros and give you more side support. Big plus for the Recaros is that they have electric hight adjustment, which is a must for Sioban and I, because unless you haven't noticed, we are a slightly different size.:D:D
That will be the long and short of it then ;):D

Gorbash12346
26th October 2006, 04:46 AM
the JCW sparco's are lovely i did the fitting of a certain memebers on here and i have to say they are very well built.. though the swapping the seat rails over without letting any of the rail grease touch the leather is a complete barsteward also if you are getting these seats you will need to get in contact with a mini dealers as to fit them you have will no longer have side airbags (though somehow they found a way round this on the GP) and to stop your airbag warning light illuminating you need a set of codes put into it through a GT1 (diagnostics machine)which we have to send away a request for

i don't think there is any other way but if you can get a hold of the GP airbag versions you'd be home free

Gorbash12346
26th October 2006, 04:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy

owning a mini makes sitting in the back a non starter lol c'mon who honestly expects a full grown adult to actually sit in there?.. glorified parcel shelf or childs seat.. :p lol yes i do agree they take up a huge amount of interior space... but then do you really use your rear seats that often?;)

X30YES
26th October 2006, 01:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gorbash12346

the JCW sparco's are lovely i did the fitting of a certain memebers on here and i have to say they are very well built.. though the swapping the seat rails over without letting any of the rail grease touch the leather is a complete barsteward also if you are getting these seats you will need to get in contact with a mini dealers as to fit them you have will no longer have side airbags (though somehow they found a way round this on the GP) and to stop your airbag warning light illuminating you need a set of codes put into it through a GT1 (diagnostics machine)which we have to send away a request for

i don't think there is any other way but if you can get a hold of the GP airbag versions you'd be home free
Yes you can see here (http://www.minimaniauk.com/web/Item/NMA1202/InvDetail.cfm);)
;)

MartinSullivan
26th October 2006, 03:59 PM
Angus's link now works, silly old fool ;) forgot to put the link in - know a few people that have used these over on Mini2 and they seem to work a treat, also the reason that the GP doesnt have the problem is that it has the Recaros in which have the side air bags.

X30YES
26th October 2006, 04:11 PM
Your right ,it doesn't work...this one will I hope or I'm a dummy (http://www.minimaniauk.com/web/Item/NMA1202/InvDetail.cfm) :D
ps you could have sorted it ;)
pps ;):approve:

MartinSullivan
26th October 2006, 04:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

I think you will find that I did - before you sorted yours ;)

X30YES
26th October 2006, 05:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

quote:Originally posted by X30YES

I think you will find that I did - before you sorted yours ;)
I know you did that's why I edited and added the pps (was half way through it when I had to go for a wiz) :p

Big Gordy
27th October 2006, 02:49 AM
quote:c'mon who honestly expects a full grown adult to actually sit in there?
Funily enough I passed a mini on the way home from the 'Bunker Run' with a full compliment of adults in it:eek: It was red with a union jack roof I think :p:D:approve:

Wul
27th October 2006, 03:13 AM
Here - I once had 5 adults in my first Cooper - was a very tight squeeze and contestant No 5 had a seat belt in an awkward place but the suspension coped admirably!:eek:

Gorbash12346
27th October 2006, 03:29 AM
much unlike no.5's errr ... i'll not go there lol