PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Alternative

Coop
9th October 2006, 04:59 AM
I watched 5th Gear the other night and they did an experiment which got me thinking (shock :eek:).

They claim that you can run any diesel engine with used vegetable oil, no mods needed. They then ran an old Merc C220 (I think) from one coast of england to the other. Is this really possible? Seems too good to be true, as I would definately consider buying an diesel heap for going to work in! Think how much £££ would be saved. You are meant to announce how much you use to the government and pay tax, but they're not gonna know.

Does anyone know anything more?

PACMAN
9th October 2006, 06:29 AM
True . some of the small buses in aberdeen diesel engine run on vegetable oil ;)

sedgie
9th October 2006, 06:41 AM
i'll try that in "hubbys" car;)

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2006, 07:58 AM
Saw that article too. Seems almost too good to be true.

It's shocking that you still have to pay duty the oil you use in your car even if it is used chip shop vegetable oil. Crazy. :eek:

A.

X30YES
9th October 2006, 08:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by Coop

I watched 5th Gear the other night and they did an experiment which got me thinking (shock :eek:).

They claim that you can run any diesel engine with used vegetable oil, no mods needed. They then ran an old Merc C220 (I think) from one coast of england to the other. Is this really possible? Seems too good to be true, as I would definately consider buying an diesel heap for going to work in! Think how much £££ would be saved. You are meant to announce how much you use to the government and pay tax, but they're not gonna know.

Does anyone know anything more?
When I worked in the SNS Southern North Sea ,8-10 years ago , a guy there ran an old Peugeot on veg oil ...or heating oil ...something like that anyway.