PDA

View Full Version : How to....

Wul
19th December 2003, 10:50 PM
...set up a webpage?

Got Broadband installed and thought i'd maybe have a go at making a wee website or webspace thing up to host stuf etc - lnl's thread reminded me to ask you guys, so....

any hints, tips, freeware you chaps can recommend on how to make/ setup for a PC based website thingy?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Bazthemod
19th December 2003, 11:13 PM
Download dreamweaver for 30 day trail from macromedia's website then find a serial on the net after ure 30 days!:evil::D its really easy even i use it!

(ahem not that we approve of such behaviour...Limewire! <Whistles away> MMM)

Burple
19th December 2003, 11:34 PM
alternatively, get an ISP account with freeserve, and you can get quite a few Mb (about 30 If I remember) free web space with them. There's even tutorials and details on how to do it. And 2 methods too. For novices (point and Click) to a bit more advanced... uploading your own pages with an FTP client.

The point and click method is a bit restricted, but it's good experience to start with. :D

If you've got Microsaft Office you should get Frontpage with it too, to write web pages. and it's pretty much as simple as using Word (once you get round the whole html stuff)

Dreamweaver is pretty much the best software to use with Pc's tho.. but it costs plenty after the 30 days..
Oh the joys of a Uni-wide site Licence!! ;):D:D
And my apologies if you can't understand what I'm saying or me spelling... A couple of Stella for lunch is always fun! especially when the boss is paying!! :D

Gismo
20th December 2003, 12:06 AM
Wul, have sent you an e-mail ;)

Bonnie Scotland

Wul
20th December 2003, 12:16 AM
Cheers guys - will need to investigate further as to what i get with telewest b.band as i'm sure they give you about 30MB too!

As for the terminology - i'm lost already -FTP, HTML - hmmmm more diggin required!

Julz
20th December 2003, 12:49 AM
AOL give you free space too!!;)

macblob
20th December 2003, 01:02 AM
Wul Blueyonder give u free web space, thats where mine is hosted just now. You go into the self care bit of the blueyonder web site to set it up. Then if u have created the pages using an app such as dreamweaver, u need a wee ftp client prog to get all your web pages , pics etc from your computer to the web :)

Think the url is ftp.blueyonder.co.uk and your user name and password to upload info to your web space once you have it set up.

All info you should need is on the blueyonder site

hope this is of some help :D

Bazthemod
20th December 2003, 02:39 AM
Well i do approve! 3 websites under my belt now:mad::approve::mad::approve::mad:

Wul
20th December 2003, 04:31 AM
Thanks macblob - will go and have a nose there the now seeing as i'm getting a pounding on the festive run thread! ;)

<limps off to lick his wounds!>

:D

Wul
27th December 2003, 10:56 PM
Alan - many thanks for the pressie in the post ;)