PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy dealers..

OBN
5th October 2006, 03:40 AM
Agains my advice my gf order a Mitsubishi colt CZC

We'd shop around for a few deals for a new car for her.

Then i spoke to her local dealer who said they could match the deal.

So she went yesterday and paid her deposit, today when she took in her MoT and registration document so they can do the plate transfer, do we find out that the dealer is pre-registering the vehicle, so she'll be te 2nd owner.

Is this wrong, I'm totally pee'd off about it.

SpongeBob
5th October 2006, 03:42 AM
Over to Miss Clare methinks

OBN
5th October 2006, 03:43 AM
So much so my spelling and grammar have gone to pot! It's kinda Mini related as she'd looked at the mini convertible but had fallen for the Colt by this time, but if I can get out of this deal, I reckon she'll go for a Mini

Sweeney
5th October 2006, 03:49 AM
To me, yeah seems wrong. I had a plate transfer on my mini when i got it and they didn't have to register it with them first.

Cal
5th October 2006, 03:51 AM
That's happened to me before, it's the only way that the dealer can cut the RRP so much. They effectively become the first owners although the car is still "new". Not a biggie and in fact when i traded the car back in they never factored in the fact that I had got £1000 off in the first instance. So I gained another £1000 that i would have otherwise lost to depreciation.

So I would not sweat it :)

Cal

OBN
5th October 2006, 04:06 AM
Well problem is the garage I got the deal at originally were supplying a brand new car, the other dealers said that they would match it, and failed to mention that it would be pre-registered, if I had known that I would have negotiated a bigger discount.

Basically paying list, with free gap, parking sensors and 1st service free.

So not a good enough deal for a pre-reg'd car. Please I feel conned

OBN
5th October 2006, 04:08 AM
If they'd told me they could only have done the deal on a pre-reg car I'd have walked away and went back to the other dealer and got a new one for exactly the same price

Mini Me
5th October 2006, 06:38 AM
If you have been mis sold you are entitled to walk away with your deposit(even if its not mis sold, you are within you rights), they cant keep it.Have you signed any finance agreements ? Order forms dont count(mean nout)

They cant make you buy the car.

PACMAN
5th October 2006, 06:42 AM
they shouldn't be reg the car in there name first just to knock off some money... complete wrong ... i would take it back and go to the other dealer instead ;)

OBN
5th October 2006, 07:28 AM
No finance, she was just paying for it.

I'll speak to the sales manager in the morning, she was due to pic the car up on the 10th

PACMAN
5th October 2006, 07:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by OBN

No finance, she was just paying for it.

I'll speak to the sales manager in the morning, she was due to pic the car up on the 10th

my girlfriend got a dealer to match another dealer price but she was still the first owner :)

try knock off more money as it now technically a used car ;)

bpirie1000
5th October 2006, 04:23 PM
Quick mention of trading standards should sort that situation out.

Used to happen alot when I worked in the industry Back in the stone ages......

Suppose it depends what you are after cheap car or first owner.

illegalhunter
5th October 2006, 05:04 PM
discount or money back its not a new car under tades decriptions act you have them by the short & curles

ianking
5th October 2006, 05:30 PM
Just spoke to my mate who owns a Daihatsu dealership. He has said that the dealership will have registered some cars in order to get their dealership bonus for registering a certain amount of cars before a said date. Or they have registered it as a demo car so that they can get a huge discount from mitsubishi on it. they will get a dealership demonstrator allowance discount.
My mate says he does this alot, last week he registered 6 new cars that werent sold to anyone. he can in turn give the customer the car £1000 cheaper but always explains to them that the garage name will appear as the 1st owner.
The mitsubishi man hasnt done anything wrong by registering it but he should have told you. You should get more discount on it as he will have registered it for a reason, that reason would be to make him more money.
rememnber that this car will prob drop £3k as soon as you drive it home so push for as much money off as you can.
Or you could walk away as he has described it to you as you being the 1st owner.
Hope this helps

AndyP & Lenore
5th October 2006, 05:34 PM
My understanding is that it is common practice, for some dealers. But to not tell you from the out-set is wrong.:evil: I've bought a pre-reg car before (a Vauxhall Corsa - many moons ago) and the dealer was clear from the beginning the only way they could meet the monthly cost I wanted the car at was to discount the car heavily, and the only way they could do that was to pre-register the car. If you know they're doing it, that's not so bad, if they don't tell you that's just wrong. Like Only-me say's; "I'll have my money back please!";)

A.

Gismo
5th October 2006, 06:11 PM
I've bought my second demo from JC's and is the main reason why they were able to fit vipers and the R99's to the car and me to pay the full sale price.
I also agreed to allow the car to go back through the workshop for a "free" inspection to fulfil BMW's demo procedures.
Normally they cannot sell a demo for 3 months ;)
In your case all this should have been explained upfront.

I don't think for a minute that the car being a 2nd owner will have any lost value when selling on as the 1st owner is easily explained as being the garage itself.

I agree you should get as much off as you can, but, if not forthcoming then walk away with your deposit