PDA

View Full Version : No Heritage

Pink Lady
3rd October 2006, 09:59 PM
Was having a discussion with my boyfriend last night after reading the new mini mag, he likes the older style vw beetles and vw camper vans, He subscribes to every magazine thats going and thinks he's an expert on heritage, thus we got into a bit of a debate because he said us new mini owners have no heritage! Can you believe i didnt kill him there and then.. Anyway any views so i can get back at him?:mad::mad:

lightbody
3rd October 2006, 10:22 PM
Well... its all open to interpretation and opinion this one.

But the fact is that the 2001 MINI has no common components or direct lineage to the 1959 Mini - BUT it is the direct replacement, and it was designed (originally...) by the company that made the original.

I agree with both of you. :D

Pink Lady
3rd October 2006, 10:37 PM
Yes i agree Rob, i never professed that we were of direct link to the 95 mini, i kinda like that we are new, and surely you can only gain heritage through time! :I

illegalhunter
4th October 2006, 12:46 AM
how can the bmw mini heritage 5 years of production will need more than that

Big Gordy
4th October 2006, 01:05 AM
By his own admission the new beetle therefor has no heritage either then as its in the same situation as the mini/MINI ie a modern update of an original design;) The current trend of the big manufacturers will make this more common in the near future I think for example....mustang/MUSTANG, gt40/GT40, camaro/CAMARO, sirroco/SIRROCO....all these cars are going to be/are remakes of an iconic original8) I don't think any of us proclaimed to have any 'heritage' anyway......we like it for what it is....a damb fine little :question::question: car. As you probable already know anyway there are a few people on here who are the proud owners of both versions;) :p:D:approve:

Burple
4th October 2006, 01:09 AM
Us new Mini owners who have owned Classics since the day they could legally drive have PLENTY of Heritage!!!!!!!!!

The new Mini is the current evolution of the Classic, and I don't care what anyone says (or thinks they know) on the subject... If BMW had not taken over the New Mini project, we would have either NO new Mini, or worse still, one built by Rover, with all the love, inspiration and quality that they designed and built into the Rover 25. ;)

The only people around the New Mini who have no heritage are the ones who bought (or have had bought for them) a new Mini for a fashion accessory. And to be honest, they just don't count.

Ask him about the 'Heritage rating' of all the people out there who bought a Beetle or Camper van "because they were cool" and don't know a thing about them....

Heritage is not just about owning the car. You could own a garage full of classic Jags, Ferraris or Porsches.. but if you know nothing and care nothing for the history, then you just have a garage full of old cars.

I don't claim to have any Heritage though the new Mini, that's for my previous classics, and for when I own another one:D
I *do* have a great modern car, and am part of a thriving fun community, which if it keeps up, *WILL BE* the Heritage of the new Mini.

Ask him about the Heritage of the new Beetle. Yeah, the one that's actually a VW Golf underneath...

I say slap him purple and tell him to stop jumping on the Classic Mini owners bandwagon with the Holier than thou snobbery!
:D

Scottie
4th October 2006, 02:37 AM
H'mm well Heritage.:)

You can liking it to saying a modern day Scot has no heritage.

Well of course you do just in the same way that a modern day MINI has heritage.

Sure I have evoloved since my ancestors were born just in the same way that MINI has evolved since Mini was born way back when.

PACMAN
4th October 2006, 02:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Sure I have evoloved since my ancestors were born just in the same way that MINI has evolved since Mini was born way back when.

BMW has pletty heritage which is basic what the new mini is

:)

Scottie
4th October 2006, 02:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

BMW has pletty heritage which is basic what the new mini is

:)

well there you go then infact BMW is older than British Leyland oop's Austin oh buggers that many companies have owned original Mini it lost it heritage a long time ago.:D:D:D;)

PACMAN
4th October 2006, 03:15 AM
VW Beetle is just a cheap Porsche :)
Mini is a Mini regardless of old or new :D

As for the VW camper Van.... no comment as I do like them :cool:

X30YES
4th October 2006, 04:04 AM
"Us new Mini owners who have owned Classics since the day they could legally drive have PLENTY of Heritage!!!!!!!!!" I was 15 when I got my first mini 35 years ago (petrol was 34p a gallon)and have had 3 classics and four new ones to date ...!!! no Heritage , my (_!_) .Bin him ;):p:D

Pink Lady
4th October 2006, 04:28 AM
Hi everyone, didnt want to start a riot, i'm proud of my mini, not for being a cool car to drive(even tho it is) I actually love the car itself, i want to improve it and change it to suit myself, surely it dosnt really matter about heritage, as long as your car is what you want it to be!

X30YES
4th October 2006, 05:06 AM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/minicooper1.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/IMG_4185Medium.jpg
Heritage..tradition.. call it what you like

Pink Lady
4th October 2006, 05:21 AM
To be honest, i like the look of the older one, i just couldnt afford to run it. Ive seen a lot of them around coatbridge, especially a racing green one, will get the reg next time i see it, they are absolutley gorgeous!:cool:

Burple
4th October 2006, 06:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Pink Lady

Hi everyone, didnt want to start a riot, i'm proud of my mini, not for being a cool car to drive(even tho it is) I actually love the car itself, i want to improve it and change it to suit myself, surely it dosnt really matter about heritage, as long as your car is what you want it to be!

:cool::cool: Well you *did* ask.. ;);):D:D:D

broken_brian
4th October 2006, 06:57 AM
not one to be picky but a porsche is an expensive beetle as the beetle came first 1n 1935 or so

and ford gt is the new one not gt40. Ford could not use gt40 for the new one as they sold the rights to a kit car company

PACMAN
4th October 2006, 07:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

not one to be picky but a porsche is an expensive beetle as the beetle came first 1n 1935 or so

and ford gt is the new one not gt40. Ford could not use gt40 for the new one as they sold the rights to a kit car company

:eek: didn't know that.... though it was because it not 40 from the ground anymore as in the orignal one

did i read somewhere that the beetle was design for hilter :)

Burple
4th October 2006, 08:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

:eek: didn't know that.... though it was because it not 40 from the ground anymore as in the orignal one

did i read somewhere that the beetle was design for hilter :)

Yup.. he ordered his people to make him a car for 'everyone' - "Volkswagen" = "People's Car" ;):D:D

every day's a school day on NMS ;):D:D:p

GP 1536
4th October 2006, 08:52 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/heritage

hope this helps

SpongeBob
5th October 2006, 05:45 AM
Dunno about heritage but having worked for Austin and Bmw thank god they have evolved,everday was subframes and pear shaped bushes and o/s wings and A-panels,Now its the odd set of brake pads,and as for the new beetle my good lady's got one and give me the old one anyday.Christ im getting old.

PACMAN
5th October 2006, 07:12 AM
[/quote]

every day's a school day on NMS ;):D:D:p

[/quote]

hope no.... not going to sunday school ;)