PDA

View Full Version : Return of the King

Monsta Mo Mini
18th December 2003, 10:00 PM
Anyone seen it yet?

I'm going tonight.:D

Big Gordy
18th December 2003, 10:11 PM
Frizzie-kizzie (my daughter :dead:) went to see it last night and said it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooper. At the end the...................oops don't want to spoil it:p:D:approve:

Big Col
18th December 2003, 10:24 PM
OH MY GOD!!!! It is without any shadow of a doubt the greatest film I have ever seen in my life. It stays 95% faithful to the book (whilst cutting out some sections as the film was really long as it was but expect them to turn up in the special edition DVD). I honestly can't praise this film highly enough. It is the first time I have ever sat in Springfield Quay and not been squirming due to a numb bum as I ain't got a lot of padding back there. This is said after the film lasted 2hour 20mins longer than most films. It is a total masterpiece and is without a doubt the conclusion to the greatest film Trilogy ever made. Please note I say this whilst being a huge Star Wars fan also. MMM you'll love it. If you don't then I shall have to refuse from acknowledging you exist.

<gets off of soapbox>

Wul
18th December 2003, 11:20 PM
Cool - going to see it on Sunday so can't wait now.

Talking of Trilogies - saw Matrix Convulsions on Friday - have to say that is one of the most disappointing conclusions to what was a ground breaking trilogy!

Matrix 1 - Fantastic movie - bullet time changed the way special effects are used in movies - class
Matrix 2 - Good enough to keep me interested - like kill bill always has a final part so feels incomplete (obviously) but the big fight with all the agent smiths was cool :cool: but the bit with the architect was a waste of time!
Matrix 3 - too confusing, never really answered the original question "What is the Matrix?" Action was poor in comparison to it's prequels - the big fight at the end was old hat and nothing special - the fight with the loaders from Aliens was a variation on theme.

Discuss.

PS: won't stop me from buying the dvd though to complete the set ;)

Big Col
18th December 2003, 11:31 PM
OOH OOH! <gets back on the sopabox> DON'T READ IF YOU AIN'T SEEN THE THIRD MATIRX!!

The Matrix 3 is the worst ending to a trilogy I've ever seen in my life! It's predictable, cheesy, confusing, irritating and ultimately dull. The ending sucks, the One gets a kicking from everyone in the film and the the most clever thing about the first film is lost! In the first one Neo, Morpheous et al are able to do the amazing feats that they do is because the rules of the Matrix are goverened by a computer programme. This means that they can be bent or broken, which all of them can understand as they are hackers. They cannot do these feats in the real world because it's real life and this stuff just can't happen. Then what do they go and do? Neo can do amazing feats in the real world too with the most tenous of explanations!

AND WHAT ELSE?? They make Smith, a computer program able to infect peoples minds in the real world!!! ALSO...could it have taken Neo any longer to work this out when the whole audience went "Oh...right" the first time the dude that was now Smith said "Mister Anderson" but Neo takes about 20 mins before going "It can't be" AND THEN HE COULD SEE HIM WHEN HE WAS BLIND?????

IT SUCKED! The Watchwhatever brothers that wrote and directed it should be shot for making such a disappointing film when it would have been sooooo much easier to make an amazing one! SPEW!!

<gets off soapbox and goes for a lie down>

Wul
18th December 2003, 11:54 PM
Well said Big Col - you took the words right off my keyboard! :D

Burple
19th December 2003, 01:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
OH MY GOD!!!! It is without any shadow of a doubt the greatest film I have ever seen in my life. It stays 95% faithful to the book

Not what I've read... are there not some pretty spontaneous plot twists which AREN'T in the book?? ;)
I'll make me mind up when I've been to see it tho... :D:D
Sunday hopefully!!

And Why did the second film end WAY before the end of the second book?? :evil:;):D

Still really looking forward to it tho...all the trailers look pretty damn good!!! :D:D:D

Big Col
19th December 2003, 01:34 AM
The second film ended way before the end of the second book because Peter Jackson decided early on that they didn't have time to include the scourging of the Shire at the end of the trilogy so since that was chopped he moved Shelob into the third film.

With regards to the point about the plot twists, there are a few questionable ones, i.e most of the stuff with Arwen invloved at all. There is also one bit with Frodo and Sam that really made me scowl but I'll say no more until people have seen it. There are a few other bits and pieces but the majority of things you would look for in the book are there. Thinking about it again I'd reduce that figure to 90% but I ain't gonna hold it against Peter Jackson et al as I still think it's a triumph of a film and is the best I've ever seen in my puff (With the possible exception of the first 2).

Once you have seen it l&l & anyone else that is a fan of the films or the books please fel free to email me for a chat so that we avoid giving anything away to the people that ain't seen it yet. Philistines as I like to call them ;)

euan
19th December 2003, 01:36 AM
Yup, I'm going on Sunday to see LOTR and cannot wait.

The IMAX beside Waterloo in London shows the Matrix films not long after they come out - that would be a bit full on as the screen and sound system are HUGE!!! I felt queezy at one point last time I went watching a woman spin round a rope whilst looking down. It's quite common - they warn you before hand that it's likely to happen. I'm hoping they show the first one in there again.

weefossy
19th December 2003, 07:18 AM
Going to see LOTR on Saturday. Can't wait till 3rd part DVD comes out so I can watch the lot at one sitting. Have got the BBC audio 13 set CD and it is magic to do in one sitting.

Matrix,huge fan of original, crap ending for 2nd, only answer is to totally re-write 3rd movie.

Kirsty
19th December 2003, 07:26 AM
I'm off to see Return of the King on Saturday I can't wait either!!!:D Never became much of a Matrix fan tho!!!:( Now Star Wars that is a different story altogether!!!:approve:

Big Gordy
19th December 2003, 05:33 PM
Am I the only one on the planet that hasn't seen any of the 'Lord of the Rings' :eek:

GAJ
19th December 2003, 06:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Am I the only one on the planet that hasn't seen any of the 'Lord of the Rings' :eek:

Nope!:D

Wee elfs and that runnin' aboot after big hairy wise men and a' that! No ma scene man!;)

Monsta Mo Mini
19th December 2003, 06:13 PM
Well I've seen it....

...and I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor!

I honestly think that any future film using special effects will have to be judged against this one! The levels of detail are absolutely astounding! REALLY looking forward to getting the full DVD version next christmas - it's gonna be another 40 minutes longer!

As for the screen play - well the Arwen character was obviously there to appease the studio and remains a pointless addition to the film. I'll not say anymore other than the last 30 minutes could have been condensed CONSIDERABLY!

Gismo
19th December 2003, 07:11 PM
Well i havn't seen it and i won't be until i've read the 3rd book.
I decided to read the books first and see how the film panned out, also to see if i remembered the book :evil:
The 2nd film was way shorter than the book and that irritated me, however, if it's for the benefit of the film then i don't mind so much.

I didn't go to the pictures to see either of the 1st and 2nd, i decided instead to watch it in the comfort of ma hoosie where i could hit the pause button and take my time with it.
As i have a surround cinema system i don't think i've lost that much from the cinema showing :)
Now then, no more info on the film please :evil:

Bonnie Scotland

euan
19th December 2003, 11:29 PM
Bonnie - is that the surround sound in your car or your house? :)

broken_brian
21st December 2003, 08:02 AM
i went to see it 2day and thought it was absolutley fantastic :D:D:D

macblob
21st December 2003, 09:56 AM
Just back from the cinema

all i can say is

SUPERB!!!!!!!!

Burple
22nd December 2003, 07:59 AM
Ok... just back from the Cinema...

All the dodgy Plot twists and huge lumps missed out of the end a re pretty much forgiven...

Awesome film
Effects are fantastic!!!!:D:D:D

Quik_Mini
22nd December 2003, 08:06 AM
Argh really really need to keep myself from reading this topic :evil:

Big Col
22nd December 2003, 05:03 PM
<looks smug> Told you all didn't I but you wouldn't listen. "I heard it that it's full of random plot twists that aren't in the book" they said. "The second film ended way short of where the second book does" they said. Pffff! Told you it rocks! :approve::cool::D:approve:

Burple
22nd December 2003, 06:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
<looks smug> Told you all didn't I but you wouldn't listen. "I heard it that it's full of random plot twists that aren't in the book" they said. "The second film ended way short of where the second book does" they said. Pffff! Told you it rocks! :approve::cool::D:approve:

Hey.. I didn't say it wasn't gonna be good... just going by what I heard ;);):D

I repeat once more GO SEE IT!! IT'S AWESOME!!
It certainly didn't feel like I was there for over 3 hours! :D;):cool:

BOB
23rd December 2003, 11:04 PM
Hiya its Bob here,
Im off this saturday to go and see it!!!!! I will tell you what i think, but if its as good as the first two i think you know what i will say!!!!!! :D:D
CANT WAIT. I will give you my low down when i come back!!!!

Big Col
24th December 2003, 01:25 AM
Heeeyyyyyy...BOB's back!

Kirsty
26th December 2003, 04:57 AM
Absolutely fantastic!!!!:D Well worth the numb bum but definately did not seem like three hours!!!:approve:

Wul
27th December 2003, 10:55 PM
Class film! puts Matrix dissolutions to shame by miles and miles now - best film of the year- cannea wait till next year and the ultimate box set of all three movies and extras.

Peter Jackson is now worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as lucas and speilberg imho.

BOB
28th December 2003, 03:00 AM
Hey film was brilliant.!!!! well worth the numb bum just like kirsty says!!! Special effects were brill. everything was just great. Aragorn is mighty fine too. heehee :D
Anyone who hasnt seen it must go and see it!!!

Bob :)