PDA

View Full Version : Cooper S Fuel Cap conversion - Zoiks!!

Alfie
30th September 2006, 05:51 AM
So having received my newest mod. from Ebay, I moved with haste to fit the thing.

The CooperS fuel cap, came with 'Fit in 10 Minutes' instructions.

Surely this was too good to be true and possibly one of the best and cheapest mods for the Cooper.

An hour later I was still trying to prise the old filler flap off. And yes, true to form, i broke the existing lid, straight off, never to be fixed again. Panic set in......

Until I realised that there are three 'clips' under the black plastic suround of the existing cap which need released, using thin strips of plastic (the instructions didn't tell me this). I used some old credit cards to do this and bingo, my skin was saved...

The new cap looks great (as far as I can see in the dark, and there is no fuel currently leaking on the driveway). An overall success.

But believe me, its no 10 minute job.

If anyone needs advice on how to do this in the future, ask me and I'll tell you where I went wrong!:)

Gordons_cooper_wrks
1st October 2006, 07:52 PM
I bought a cooper s cap at the start of the year on ebay. the instrucions on the advert clearly said 10mins , easy to fit. it was the exact opposite. the hardest bit was gettin the old cap off without scratchin the car. looks really good though. just finishes it of, even though it took nearly an hour to fit.:D

rockwellcm
4th October 2006, 08:39 PM
i think ill just buy a cooper S next time and avoid all the hassel.

all the mods i have done so far come as standard on the S

you live and learn

DS

G19RNT
17th November 2006, 11:19 PM
anyone know where i can get a fitting guide?

Alfie
18th November 2006, 12:44 AM
I can give hints n tips if required - ignore the fitting guides - all but useless