PDA

View Full Version : What is it with these people????

Monsta Mo Mini
19th March 2003, 06:25 PM
Bet they all wear wooly jumpers and cycle everywhere....

Road Campaigners Fight Yellow Speed Cameras

By Peter Woodman, Transport Correspondent, PA News
Campaigners were mounting a legal challenge today (Thursday) to a Government decision to paint speed cameras yellow.

The campaigners want the High Court to overturn Government guidance that requires cameras to be conspicuous as well as yellow-coloured.

The action is being brought by environmental transport group Transport 2000 and the Slower Speed Initiative.

The groups are concerned that brightly-painted conspicuous cameras might not work as effectively as inconspicuous ones. They argue that if cameras are highly visible, drivers will slow down when they see one but then speed up again afterwards when they see the coast is clear.

The campaigners argue that if cameras are grey and inconspicuous, then drivers cannot see them in advance, do not know where they are and will be more likely to stay within the speed limit at all times.

Vicky Cann, assistant director of Transport 2000, said: “The Government has admitted that it made the decision to paint speed cameras yellow, not because it had evidence that yellow cameras were more effective in slowing drivers down, but because a few journalists were running scare stories about cameras trapping ‘innocent motorists’.

“This is Government decision-making by tabloid headlines and it sets a very dangerous precedent.”

Paige Mitchell, co-ordinator of the Slower Speeds Initiative, said: “Only drivers who break the law need to worry about speed cameras. Speed cameras are a very cost-effective way to reduce crashes and save lives.

“We hope the High Court will reverse this decision and allow the police discretion in enforcing speed limits. Let’s have trials to see whether yellow or inconspicuous cameras are more effective.”

john
19th March 2003, 07:20 PM
lucky that the SNOOPER is colour blind

Willie M
19th March 2003, 09:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Bet they all wear wooly jumpers and cycle everywhere....
Removes Arran knit sweater, takes off bicycle clips and puts the Dawes Lightning back in the shed :I

Where did the money come from to paint all the Gatsos' bright yellow? (which personally I thought was a good idea). I wonder who would have to pay for them all to be made 'less distinct' again :mad:

I do believe there a some valid sites for speed cameras (e.g. genuine accident blackspots, in and around town centres, schools, etc.) but it really irks me when they appear to be used as nothing more than revenue generators. :disapprove:

Julz
20th March 2003, 05:02 AM
Well, we should make them yellow, with the help of some petrol and a match, nice yellow flames! GATSO's burn quite well apparently! Not that I would support such vandalism!;)

sh@z
20th March 2003, 09:07 AM
Yeah the revenue generated from the gatso's is pretty significant, ie why they keep popping up absolutely everywhere. You cant really speed in town much anyway (especially in edinburgh) due to traffic levels as it is... and the off chance u get to open ur nippy wee mini a bit theres a gatso sitting there *sigh* :D...

Oh well hehe... nowt we can do... lets hope they dont pop up on the country lanes.

minidriver#1
20th March 2003, 09:24 AM
dundee to aberdeen has something like 17 speeding cameras on the one route! it must be a record for the most on one road.