PDA

View Full Version : changing to non runflats

mini_sco
25th September 2006, 07:21 AM
hi guys had my cooper for just over a year, had 2 get 2 new tyres due to punctures, 1 for tyre wear, and the damn light just came on again.... thinking bout changing to normal tyres as paying out £100+ a tyre aint good... where can i get go to get good tyres and them fitted in edinburgh?
Cheers

X30YES
25th September 2006, 04:09 PM
First of all, pop in to the Introduce youself thread and say hello there ,secondly , What are you going to do when if you get a puncture :question:;)...Look here for tyres (http://www.blackcircles.com/) and also try
here (http://www.mytyres.co.uk/)

johnsop1
26th September 2006, 06:08 AM
He will be able to get various products that can instantly seal punctures. More importantly if he gets non-runflats he will find that wallet will be less empty, he won't run the risk of being told that his tyres cannot be repaired (that happend to me after just 600 miles) and that handling and comfort will be VASTLY improved. Not everyone who owns a MINI has money to burn.

Gismo
26th September 2006, 01:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by johnsop1
He will be able to get various products that can instantly seal puncturesNot strictly true :evil: as happened to me on a mini run i was left stranded in Pitlochry because the puncture occurred on the inner sidewall :mad:
The sealant simply passed straight through the tyre :mad:
Took me 4 hours to get home and then still had to replace the tyre :mad:
I will never use non run flat tyres :approve:

Craig
26th September 2006, 04:11 PM
that's just because your getting old BS... ;)

soopercooper
27th September 2006, 03:52 AM
i just changed to non runflats and it was the best thing i have done to the mini.its quieter smoother,handling has vastly improved and bankbalance has increased

Big Gordy
27th September 2006, 05:25 AM
I took the option of buying the spare when I specced the one:approve: So I can run either;) Although after only doing 10k in 3 1/2 years I think my tyres will perish before they wear oot:I :p:D:approve:

hyperflick
27th September 2006, 09:45 PM
I got 2 new front tyres non runflat from Duddingston coachworks, same industrial estate as Apex signs. £90 each same make as my runflats too. Ask for Billy, he's a very nice man, a very very nice man;);)

ianking
27th September 2006, 10:35 PM
I put non run flat on the front, 17's incase you were wondering. Like another member said earlier it was the best thing he has done to the car. I would agree completely. My car handles better, less bouncy and twitchy, less road noise and the tyres are much much cheaper.

soopercooper
27th September 2006, 10:44 PM
it was me that said that.minis shouldnt come from the factory with runflats.it would probably be cheaper to supply a spare than four runflats and would also decrease running costs at traditional tyres are cheaper and better

Scottie
27th September 2006, 11:01 PM
I'm tending to lean more towards runflat tyres nowadays.

We were going to change Allan's to non runflats but decided against it.

So much less hassle should anything happen what with insurance and punctures blah blah blah.

My new Cooper will be staying with runflats.

ianking
27th September 2006, 11:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

So much less hassle should anything happen what with insurance and punctures blah blah blah.

Ah piff paff poff your just getting Mellow (yellow) in yer old age:D

Scottie
27th September 2006, 11:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Ah piff paff poff your just getting Mellow (yellow) in yer old age:D

They call me Mellow Yellow hum hum humhumhum;):p

every time I think Mellow Yellow that dam song comes into my head.:p:clown:

PACMAN
27th September 2006, 11:49 PM
here the word so you can sing along

I'm just mad about Saffron
Saffron's mad about me
She's just mad about me

{Refrain}
They call me mellow yellow
(Quite rightly)
(Quite rightly)

I'm just mad about Fourteen
Fourteen's mad about me
I'm just mad about Fourteen
She's just mad about me

{Refrain}

Born high forever to fly
Wind velocity nil
Wanna high forever to fly
If you want your cup our fill

{Refrain}

(So mellow, he's so yellow)

Electrical banana
Is gonna be a sudden craze
Electrical banana
Is bound to be the very next phase

They call it mellow yellow
(Quite rightly)
(Quite rightly)

Saffron -- yeah
I'm just mad about her
She's just mad about me

{Refrain}

(Oh so yellow, oh so mellow)

;)

Duncan Stewart
28th September 2006, 12:04 AM
I really don't understand why Minis come without a spare wheel! Never had runflats but on my last Cooper I was talked out of taking the spare wheel option due to the "wonderful" foam stuff - rubbish! I had a puncture in the sidewall and it just ran out! Carried a spare in the back seat after that, and paid for the option spare on my current Cooper.

Duncan Stewart
28th September 2006, 12:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by soopercooper

it was me that said that.minis shouldnt come from the factory with runflats.it would probably be cheaper to supply a spare than four runflats and would also decrease running costs at traditional tyres are cheaper and better

Only the Cooper S comes with runflats, other Minis come with 15inch tyres (about £40 each) and a can of cheap rubbish tyre seal :dead:, thus saving BMW money.
People with runflats on an non S paid the extra for them as part of paying for larger wheels.

X30YES
28th September 2006, 06:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I really don't understand why Minis come without a spare wheel! Never had runflats but on my last Cooper I was talked out of taking the spare wheel option due to the "wonderful" foam stuff - rubbish! I had a puncture in the sidewall and it just ran out! Carried a spare in the back seat after that, and paid for the option spare on my current Cooper.

I really don't understand why Minis come without a spare wheel!seems they do in the USA

sedgie
28th September 2006, 06:23 AM
needs spare wheel!:disapprove:

X30YES
28th September 2006, 06:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by sedgie

needs spare wheel!:disapprove:
More info plz ;)

sedgie
28th September 2006, 06:58 AM
tsk you know the wheels i have.......need another:)

OBN
28th September 2006, 07:05 AM
Has anyone tried Slime in their tyres?

I use it on the bike all the time as there's no way u can carry a spare on a bike and they don't have runflats.

http://www.slime.com/

mini_sco
28th September 2006, 07:22 AM
mini's arent that small a car? why cant they fit a spare, i have owned a pug 106 before, same or smaller than cooper and it can fit a spare somewhere, so why not on mini's, i think its just a way to make you pay for expensive tires, if the runflat light comes on u automatically think puncture, but it could just be the valve, or displaced pressure???

sorry about rank, im getting a bit pissed about these damn things.

good day!:D

Duncan Stewart
1st October 2006, 04:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I really don't understand why Minis come without a spare wheel!seems they do in the USA

Where do the put it on an S? - not available even as option due to battery box & exhaust