PDA

View Full Version : Mini Tyre Fitting

Gordons_cooper_wrks
13th September 2006, 04:17 AM
My car is nearly due new tyres. This is the first time i have ever changed them. I do not know if it would be worth paying a bit more and getting mini to fit them rather than a tyre place. I do have a good local tyre place but i dont want my wheels damaged. Especially with the runfalts which i think have a much harder sidewall. What does every one else do????? :)

ianking
13th September 2006, 04:39 AM
When you take your mini to half of the big dealers they just end up getting a tyre place to do them anyway and charging you a premium for the privilege.

rockwellcm
13th September 2006, 05:05 AM
its a lot of BS you have to get the dealer,Quick fit,and the others are well geared up for the job,with no extra charge involved

its all hype,after all there are more cars than just minis with runflats

JR

johnsop1
13th September 2006, 07:53 AM
Hi

got mine done today - smallish place in Galashiels - made a perfect job of it. Didn't put runflats on and WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN THE RIDE AND HANDLING.

By the way - have 1 Pirelli runflat with 6mm tread on it if anyone needs one

X30YES
13th September 2006, 10:04 AM
Sure you can go anywhere, to get tyres fitted , some smaller places wont have the corret machine for Alloys though

minimadtez
13th September 2006, 04:54 PM
Ive never had a problem.....other cars have alloys! lol

When im getting anything done to my car I watch them like a hawk.....and they are scared to do any damage! :D

ianking
13th September 2006, 04:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by johnsop1

Hi

got mine done today - smallish place in Galashiels - made a perfect job of it. Didn't put runflats on and WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN THE RIDE AND HANDLING.

By the way - have 1 Pirelli runflat with 6mm tread on it if anyone needs one

was that Ostles you went to. If so thats where I go and they are very good. They take good care of the car and the wheels.
If you still have the spare run flat I would be interested. How much do you want for it.

Bignorm
13th September 2006, 05:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

When you take your mini to half of the big dealers they just end up getting a tyre place to do them anyway and charging you a premium for the privilege.

WELL WE FIT ALL OUR OWN TYRES :blackeye::p

ianking
13th September 2006, 07:32 PM
Yes thats why I said most dealers. I had tyres fitted ages ago at eastern and they use the kwok fit mobile van. Im pretty sure Selkirk use Ostles

bhunabelly
13th September 2006, 09:20 PM
Better watch your insurance if you fit non run flats to a car that is designed to have them. MINI state the steering and suspension are designed on a cooper S for run flats only, so by fitting non run flats you are at risk of a non pay out from your insurer. Also your car will fail the MOT if you have non runflats fitted without a spare wheel or a mobility system.

Sweeney
13th September 2006, 09:25 PM
The mini wasnt specifically designed for run flats as far as i know, whereas the new 2007 model is. (At least thats what a review of the new model i read stated).

bhunabelly
13th September 2006, 10:01 PM
I have a leaflet from the MINI dealer from my last cooper s, when asked the question could I fit a standard tyre they gave me this booklet, titled BMW run flat tyre guide, it states , as an answer to my question, 'it is not advisable . Run flat equipped BMW and MINIs have different suspension settings, so using a standard tyre will make the ride too soft, and handling, braking and safety will be compromised'. After been told this there was no way I would put normal tyres on, imadgine what would happen if you had a blow out and wrecked your £20k car and your insurer found you did not have the recommended tyres, or worse still a kid ran out infront of you and you swerved but still hit them and they said it was because of the tyres!!!!

MartinSullivan
13th September 2006, 10:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by bhunabelly
Also your car will fail the MOT if you have non runflats fitted without a spare wheel or a mobility system.

That isnt true - my car hasnt failed an MOT without runflats or a suitable spare or a mobility system, if you have a spare it has to be road worthy thats all.

In fact just checked the MOT regs and the condition of the spare tyre isnt even checked.

minimadtez
13th September 2006, 10:15 PM
Also your car will fail the MOT if you have non runflats fitted without a spare wheel or a mobility system.

Where do you MOT YOUR car like?! lol

PACMAN
13th September 2006, 10:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by minimadtez

Where do you MOT YOUR car like?! lol

better fit a spare wheel to your bike if that the case :D LOL!!!!

Burple
13th September 2006, 10:21 PM
Have you checked the price difference between Mini 'recommended' tyres and normal ones? why do you think they gave you that leaflet? ;)

And you're having a laugh if you think Runflats are better than normal tyres, in most condidtions normal tyres grip level is FAR superior.

Burple
13th September 2006, 10:27 PM

or worse still a kid ran out infront of you and you swerved but still hit them and they said it was because of the tyres!!!!

How would you feel if you tried to swerve to miss a kid in your mini with runflats and nothing happened cos they don't grip as well as normal tyres, and don't give much warning when they're about to lose that grip cos the sidewalls are so hard?
The runflats I had on my first Cooper were a nightmare in the wet, and they gave no indication of when they were 'letting go' on any road surface, wet or dry..

If you're daft enough to put crap tyres on your pride and joy, then stuff like that might happen, regardless of the tyre type.

minimadtez
13th September 2006, 11:37 PM
Indeed......

and pacman.....you are asking for trouble :p

PACMAN
14th September 2006, 12:24 AM
least it would be harder to fall off if you had 3 wheels :blackeye::eek:;)

bhunabelly
14th September 2006, 12:59 AM
Just called my insurer and explained the situation to them ,they checked with their underwriters and they stated that they would class the fitting of a non runflat tyre as a modification to the MINI if it was supplied by the maker with them standard, and this would have to be declared at the time of inception of insurance, failure to do so could invalidate cover.

At the end of the day it is up to every indivdual what tyres they fit to their cars but myself would only fit the runflat type to my cooper s and will so on my new MINI.

sedgie
14th September 2006, 01:09 AM
Well i have non-runflats on mine and i think the car handles better without them and it's less bumpy:)...my insurers said not a prob with that..but the only reason i told them was because i put bigger wheels on:D

GAJ
14th September 2006, 03:06 AM
As a result of my wee accident I had to claim for tyres on my insurance and they supplied non-runflats without any questions being asked.

johnsop1
14th September 2006, 06:15 AM
Hi Ian

Went to Dave Brydons (who will repair punctured runflats depending on where it is - by the way). Wish I'd known that 2 puntured runflats ago - lol)

Hows £20 sound?

Paul

Gordons_cooper_wrks
15th September 2006, 05:16 AM
THANX EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP. I KINDA THINK IM JST GOING TO GET THEM DONE AT A GOOD LOCAL TYRE PLACE AFTER READING ALL THE REPLYS. THANX AGAIN :cool:

minimadtez
15th September 2006, 05:31 PM
So good he said it twice :D

Big Col
15th September 2006, 06:45 PM
It's no 'cos they handle better you tight gits put non-runflats on! It's 'cos you're all too miserable to fork out the extra cash and are too embarassed to admit it! :D

minimadtez
15th September 2006, 06:54 PM

then deletes it :(

Gismo
15th September 2006, 07:05 PM
then deletes it :(He didnae delete it, i did :p

duncan
15th September 2006, 07:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
It's no 'cos they handle better you tight gits put non-runflats on! It's 'cos you're all too miserable to fork out the extra cash and are too embarassed to admit it! :D

LOL!

minimadtez
15th September 2006, 07:20 PM

[quote]Originally posted by minimadtez

then deletes it :( Then BS deletes it :p

Burple
15th September 2006, 10:23 PM

:p:p:p

I'd rather pay £90 per corner for a tyre that'll stick to the road properly than a 'Mini recommended' one at £120 per corner, that's harsh and unpredictable.. :p:p:p

minimadtez
15th September 2006, 10:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

:p:p:p

I'd rather pay £90 per corner for a tyre that'll stick to the road properly than a 'Mini recommended' one at £120 per corner, that's harsh and unpredictable.. :p:p:p

Lucky you.....mine are £140 per tyre, for non runflats! oh the price of a brand name...good old Pirelli :D Very good tyres though!

duncan
15th September 2006, 10:31 PM
Sorry LnL, but if Tiff Nedeell, (who is an annoying git in my book, but none the less), can drive round a track in a 5 series with holes drilled in the side walls has no complaints, then they're good enough for me.

And as Kirsty posted - you can get the MINI recomended Dunlop DSSTs for less than 70 quid delivered online.