PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ!

Wul
12th December 2003, 11:44 PM
Email I got today:

The following may be of interest and save you some unwanted points!!
The new electronic signs on the M6 were switched on this Tuesday.
The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras.
This probably applies to all the new signs being installed on the M62, M60 and M56. SPECS is a computer-camera based system.
As you go past the sign a digital camera reads your number plate.
When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again. The computer 'knows' how far apart the signs are so it can work out your average speed between the two, or three or four.
The system is fully automatic and will issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that passes.
You will not know you have been caught as the cameras don't flash.
They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that the system can issue.
The whole section of the M6 between Knutsford and Preston is wired, both ways. The system is set to trigger a ticket at 78MPH. (Don't take this as a guarantee)
Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive, there is no laser beam to detect.
Be warned and spread the news!

Appears to be true too: http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/qa.htm

KenL
13th December 2003, 12:03 AM
Great - NOT :mad:

How long before this system hits the M8 etc?

Burple
13th December 2003, 12:05 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
What a load of W*nk!!! that really sucks!!!:disapprove::disapprove::mad::mad:

Bring on German-style Autobhan rules instead!!!!!!!;):cool:

Wul
13th December 2003, 12:27 AM
Ken - they are there already - just not enforced yet - it's the blue things at the side of the road and on the flyovers!

And the M9 and the A720 - basically everywhere - if they bring them all into force the whole country will be banned within a month!

They were originally meant for traffic master and NADICS but a friend in the know told me they would soon become speed traps as they could read a number plate!

broken_brian
13th December 2003, 03:51 AM
no fair.... will need to slow down now got 3 points at the moment don't want any more :(

duncan
13th December 2003, 04:37 AM
quote:

Bring on German-style Autobhan rules instead!!!!!!!;):cool:

There are speed cameras on sections of the Autobahns too - I know, i was almost done at a place called Limburg Sud.

There cameras are linked to waiting police cars ahead, and after a flash of the camera, i had a brown pants moment when the traffic polizei pulled out. Thankfully, he stopped the lorry behind!

KenL
13th December 2003, 06:50 AM
They can't automatically photograph all the cars that go past I wouldn't think and they'll need some pretty powerful software to match up number plates at both sites.

The only way I think it will work is they have little Hitlers operating the cameras, picking out cars at one and then tracking them to take a pic at the next.

Booooooooooooooooo :dead:

Quik_Mini
14th December 2003, 10:55 AM
I really have to buy a holiday shed or something in Germany, mmmm Autoban

weefossy
15th December 2003, 12:48 AM
Wul, saw a similar report in a paper last week about new cameras near Heathrow, but then read a further report which said it was all a spoof!! Apparently they don't have the technology to directly link the cameras to DVLA records. YET!!
Must say, I have always wondered what these "Blue Things" are. They must have cost a lot to errect, so they will have to pay for themselves somehow; no doubt us motorists are the target.

Fontal
15th December 2003, 01:59 AM
We don't have any cameras up here :D:D

Quik_Mini
15th December 2003, 02:12 AM
Heheh Lucky for some

Wul
15th December 2003, 06:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal

We don't have any cameras up here :D:D

But that's also why the garages don't stock optimax or ultimate petrol either!
;):clown: