PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping

T6 KFR
9th September 2006, 12:14 AM
Anyone had a problem with their clutch?

My mini has done now 26,000 and 3 year old. The clutch has started to slip (when i acelarate in 2nd or 3rd all i get is high revs with no power to the wheels). And the fuel i am using cause of this is crazy!!!

Anyone else had this, I need to get it looked at, which could cost £££££££:disapprove:

bigcoyote
9th September 2006, 08:38 AM
Hey there,

26K miles is very early to have a clutch failure - but, it depends on how you drive it???
I had BMW-MINI replace my clutch at 30K miles because they had to replace the flywheel under warranty and since they had the clutch out anyway... might as well put in new parts instead of old ones. The parts cost about $300.00 USD - and the dealer paid the labor since the flywheel was warranty.

If I had to replace the clutch myself I would look at the high performance aftermarket companies - or independent MINI shops. They would be much cheaper and better quality parts.
Also if you are going to replace the clutch assembly you might want to replace the flywheel. The factory dual mass flywheel is known to have problems and if you switch to a standard 1 piece unit you will save yourself headaches later on.

Good luck:cool:

stoney
9th September 2006, 09:00 PM
i had a cluch on my old one it was £175 dont know the laber carge as they where doing a gear box at the same time under wranaty

sjfield1
10th September 2006, 04:53 AM
HEy, i had to have my clutch replaced in June, it was on a 06 plate that had only done 7,500 miles. But mine was doing the same, lots of revs and car not going anywhere! Luckily i got it done under warranty coz i think they found a fault, but they printed a price off and it would have cost £800+ to get it fixed. To be honest though they never really said what was actually wrong. I have had 2 previous minis all went to about 50k on the one clutch, so 26k doesn't seem that much compared.

T6 KFR
25th September 2006, 02:49 AM
OMG a price tag of +£800...

Thing is the clutch problem only seems to be noticed after the car has been sitting in traffic for long times...

maybe i need to look into this problem..just scared of cost, warrenty ran out end of August.

X30YES
25th September 2006, 02:58 AM
OMG a price tag of +£800...i DID HEAR £800-£900, Someone from the stealers will confirm the exact price,its a bigish job ....ask John:p

T6 KFR
25th September 2006, 03:13 AM
thats crazy prices isnt it. not what you want to hear on a sunday night.

i might get it checked out from a non MINI garage... anyone done this before, cant see it being an issue???