PDA

View Full Version : LED Sidelights

Alfie
7th September 2006, 07:16 PM
Morning all,

I bought some Bright white LED bulbs to replace those 501 wedge bulbs that the MINI (and most other vehicles) has. I have them in my other car too and they look great. Bright xenon white with a hint of blue.....

Anyway, the MINI for some reason doesnt like them. They fit fine, but they flicker when you switch the ignition on and when you switch the lights off, they stay on for about 5 minutes before going out!!

Its absolutely bizarre!! Any suggestions as to why this occurs?

Thanks

MartinSullivan
7th September 2006, 07:31 PM
Its a well reported "problem" - the accepted theory is that they require lower current to turn them on and the monitoring current that the mini passes down the wiring loom to check sensor states etc is enough to keep them illuminated. Not seen any reports of it causing a problem, although as far as I know the led lights are not certified for UK road use.

Alfie
7th September 2006, 08:04 PM
Thats a different problem - they have worked on every other car without issue - just the MINI thats different - they all use the same original 501 wedge bulb and they should be a direct replacement

I have LED front indicators on my other car and they need load resistors otherwise they flash faster than normal indicators

its bizarre.......

MartinSullivan
7th September 2006, 08:19 PM
I dont think its a different problem , i think its the same problem manifesting itself in a different way.

Craig
7th September 2006, 08:46 PM
it appears to happen with the face-lift models only... markyc had them on his 02 plate car and did not get the flashing..

If it makes you any better, all of the people I know have the same disco lights when switching on... also they take about 15 mins to go off a night... (I kept having neighbours knocking on my door to tell me I had left my lights on... ;))

Scottie
7th September 2006, 09:08 PM
I like the feature.;);):p

Burple
7th September 2006, 09:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Crikey.. you could be a Microsoft Rep!!

"It's not a Bug, it's a FEATURE" :D:D:D:D:D

Scottie
7th September 2006, 09:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Crikey.. you could be a Microsoft Rep!!

"It's not a Bug, it's a FEATURE" :D:D:D:D:D

;):p:D

X30YES
7th September 2006, 10:00 PM
I think Jason has them fitted and they seem to be ok , someone did ask before about the lights ...resistors was the answer ?

Alfie
7th September 2006, 10:12 PM

So do I - I was just worried that the sidelights wouldnt go off and it would drain the battery!!

stoney
7th September 2006, 11:37 PM
well i left my side lights on for over an hour or so and my car started fine :)

zimbo
8th September 2006, 04:14 AM
Found this was happening to my new car as well, but like Craig has already said the older models didnt have this problem, because I had these bulbs in my old 02 cooper and had no probs but when I got this car i put the same bulbs in and they did the flickering thing and I thought something was wrong so took them out and put the standard bulbs back in... :disapprove: