PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd share

The Dogfather
4th September 2006, 01:22 AM
I'm just finalising the list of cars that I'm considering as a replacement for our current cars. I've a budget of up to £19k. I'm looking for something that I can get a big discount on new and the car has to have the X factor :rollseyes:

Golf GTI 200bhp - £17,295 (saving £3000 on list)
http://www.auto.cz/base/2005-13/titul_vw_golf_gti_4249110813210.jpg
For: - Looks, economy, performance, residuals
Against:- only 3k off new price

Subaru WRX Estate - £15,995 (saving £5500)
http://primary.sg-petch.co.uk/cms/thesite/public/uploads/tblnewcars_lrgimg/1134059974_118.jpg
For: - Performance (0-60 5.6 secs), handling, dog carrier, BIG discount
Against: - Economy (ouch), Interior, Looks

Audi A3 2.0T FSI Sport - £19,000 (£2k off)
http://images.newcarnet.co.uk/car_pic2/au_a3_06_3.jpg
For: - Build quality, Economy
Against: - Only £2k off list, Looks dull

Megane 225 Renaultsport - £14500 (£5000 off)
http://carsale.uol.com.br/hotsite/saloes/frank2003/fotos/megane_abertura.jpg
For: - Cheap, fast
Against: - It's a renault

Ford ST 2.2 155 TDCi £15,939.00 (£7,200 off)
http://www.happynewcar.co.uk/photos/stmontchuse.jpeg

For: - Economy, Extras
Against:- Performance although can be chipped to 185bhp, its a mondeo

Alfa 1.9 JTD £19,000 leather (£3000 off)
http://www.italiancar.com.au/images/AlfaGT_140_lg.jpg

For: - Looks, good diesel engine, economy, nice leather interior
Against: - Residuals, Performance although can be chipped to 180bhp

Astra SRI Sports Hatch 150CDTI - £14,500 (£4,500 off)
http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/Car/Vauxhall/Astra/2.0TSRiSportHatch3drHatchback/15255437240.jpg

For: - Looks exterior, Performance (can be chipped to 180bhp), economy
Against: - Hard seats, dull interior, not a lot of kit

At the moment heart says Alfa or Subaru, head says Mondeo or Astra. Who knows might be some alternatives, I'm trying to find a really cheap one of these at the moment
http://www.buyacar.co.uk/imageyzwxyw1531.jpeg

Now that would be car I'd love to own :D

Just found a 2.4JTD (200bhp) Lusso for £5200 off list trouble is its an import :(

duncan
4th September 2006, 02:23 AM
Nice choice of cars there.

You've got that you're "only" getting so much off list price for a few of them, but then, I guess that that's going to be countered by the better residuals.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the Alfas - Its Arnold Clark that's the nearest dealer for one, and although they look stunning, you'd be better getting a nearly new one, and let someone else take the BIG hit of depreciation.

The Subaru does nothing for me. Its not a nice looking car, and the connotations with the Furberry brigade turn me off them.

Renault, nah. Ever since I had a rental Clio, I detest them.

The Mondeo, a lot of car for the money. Don't like the local Ford Car dealer - the Van one is superb mind you. At work we're getting a large discount to buy a Ford just now, in fact, its as cheap as a fleet sale. I wouldn't rule out one of them.

Astra? Hmm, I went off Vauxhalls after I had my Mk 3 GSi. Can't really comment on them. Oh, and its AC that the local dealer again.

Personally, I'd choose between the Golf or the Audi, but then, its all down to preference.

My Dad has a 115 BHP Golf estate, and a colleague has a 130 BHP Passat estate, both machines are quick off the mark, considering the weight. The Passat is a 03 plate, with 120,000 on the clock, and its still looking good, few very small things wrong with it.

Good luck with your quest!

The Dogfather
4th September 2006, 02:35 AM
As we're moving to Newcastle I'm not sure who the dealers are but Arnold Clark won't be one of them, hooray!

duncan
4th September 2006, 02:37 AM
:D

sleepyrascal
4th September 2006, 03:44 AM
avoid alphas.

I would be choosing between the scoobaroo, golf and A3. I would also look at the A4 and BMW 330d!

Scoobaroo gives you lots of free fuel. YAY! And its an estate so you avoid the chav statement. The A3 is exactly the same as the golf only it wears prada while the golf wears river island.

I know I would have the Golf!

The Dogfather
4th September 2006, 03:57 AM
The subaru offer is only with dealer bought cars costing £21k, I get the car for £15,500. I realise I'm asking for trouble but I'm really interested in the 159 2.4 JTD Lusso, it's an import and costs £19k........

I must be mad!

The Bull
4th September 2006, 06:44 AM
Out of that lot I think I'd go for the Megane Renaultsport. I really like the look of them now, never used to. Meant to handle really nicely too.

I like the Golf though, more than the Audi.

Did you consider the Seat Leon FR or TDI Sport? Really nicely styled cars with the same mechanicals as the Golf (not the same engine of course!) and Audi.

Coop
4th September 2006, 06:48 AM
I would go for the Golf, but to chuck in another idea - have you thought about a Seat Leon Cupra? I was coming through Glasgow today and sitting next to one in the traffic and they look amazing, will be as well built as VW but cheaper.

Just an idea :)

sh@z
4th September 2006, 07:52 AM
Golf GTI every time.

The Dogfather
4th September 2006, 02:35 PM
You can't get a decent discount on the Seat as they are just out.

Its my intention to sell the car after 12 months for roughly the price I paid. The golf would be a good choice as MMM as selling his GTI for more than I can get one new.

Gismo
4th September 2006, 05:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
Its my intention to sell the car after 12 months for roughly the price I paidThat aint ever gonna happen or we would all be doing it, as for choice, either the Golf or the Audi :)

PACMAN
4th September 2006, 05:58 PM
I would hold for the New Type R ;)

euan
4th September 2006, 06:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
Its my intention to sell the car after 12 months for roughly the price I paidThat aint ever gonna happen or we would all be doing it, as for choice, either the Golf or the Audi :)

I'm with BS on that one. Golf has been out for over a year now, MMM got his when it was almost out and has done well with the value. Don't expect it to stay that way as more are appearing on the used market.

I looked at the A3 and the Golf when i got my car last year. I wish I'd gone for the Golf (although the interior in the A3 is better). Good drive, better looking than the Audi from the outside and your getting 3K off it. No brainer to me.

Big Col
4th September 2006, 06:58 PM
That's a healthy discount on the Renault! Did you use a gun?

The Dogfather
4th September 2006, 07:05 PM
Gun, no just the internet.

I've still got to fully research the 12 month old book prices but most of the cars listed will fetch the same or close to the purchase prices. Hey BS how about an M3 with £2700 off list?

Smitty
4th September 2006, 07:07 PM
Has to be the Alfa....ever car enthuisast(sp) should own an Alfa at one point. Who cares if they break down or aren't the most econimical or the quickest! They are the most gorgous cars on the market, for that price range!!;):D

Failing that, go for the Megane, but only in that red, makes it look double the price!!:p:)

Scottie
5th September 2006, 12:44 AM
if your looking for discount and buying through the likes of Broadspeed etc etc then you got to watch your not the second owner a lot of these companies register the car first.

A few of the Touaregs guys bought through them but they intend to hold on to the motor for some time.

Other wise when it comes time to trade you will loose ££ and the discount over a short period of time will not = anything.

AeroJonny
5th September 2006, 01:34 AM
My mate's just got a Clio V6 and I've gotta say after initial doubts I'm a huuuuuuuuuge fan! The looks of the renaultsport megane are tip top too, but being a bit of a snob and a poser I'd prob get the Golf. I suggested a golf gti to my mum cos she's toying with the idea of getting rid of the MINI but she's way more interested in the new TT and 2nd hand Z4s

The Dogfather
5th September 2006, 01:50 AM
Actually the number of owners, as long as its not loads, doesn't effect values. The cars I've been looking are all new not pre-registered.

KAH
5th September 2006, 05:37 PM
BUY....THE.....GOLF!!!!!