PDA

View Full Version : Mini Parts

Quik_Mini
11th December 2003, 08:35 AM
Ello all, I am planning a little project for my Cooper S when I get it and was wondering if anyone knows a couple of things?

How much power the gearbox can handle?
How much power the clutch can handle?
Does any company in britain do enlarged throttlebody housing?
What the intercooler can handle?
Does anyone know the differences between the big valve cylinder head and the standard (sizes etc)?
Does anyone know of any company that does a reprogramable chip for the mini?

Just basically saves me from having to blow up a load of parts to find out what power they can handle :D :D

Vosh
11th December 2003, 08:54 AM
Yikes. I have no idea, but all sounds like it will be very expensive!

Burple
11th December 2003, 09:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Quik_Mini

Ello all, I am planning a little project for my Cooper S when I get it and was wondering if anyone knows a couple of things?
Does anyone know of any company that does a reprogramable chip for the mini?

Only really this one....
AMD do their 'One Click' reprogrammable chip (handy for servicing methinks) - you can change mappings back and forward...
And Superchips do some stuff...

But you really bette ask Julz and Alan about BBR..... ;);):D
Alan's up to around 241bhp... :D:D:D

GAJ
11th December 2003, 05:28 PM
The gearbox and clutch have been tested to 240+ BHP. Dunno about the throttlebody. People have differing ideas on the intercooler - most of the major tuners reckon it is able to handle increased performance, I think BBR make claims for it strength and efficiency on their website however JCW upgrade this as part of the works package. I second what L&L said about chipping, their area few companies out there offering remaps - most if not all claiming that these are 'invisible' to the dealers diagnostics - the only wee risk is that the dealer might overwrite your chipped mappings with revised factory ones. Most of the chippers will rechip your car free or for a couple of quid if this happens, or as L&L said, with the AMD you can do it yourself. MINI2 is useful for technical info like this.

Julz
11th December 2003, 10:05 PM
My advice would be to phone Mickey at BBR (01280 700800), he'll be able to tell you all you need to know cause he's a very nice man!!

Quik_Mini
12th December 2003, 04:06 AM
Excellent thanks, I will give him a call... Bah if the clutch and gearbox can only handle 240 will need new ones :( hoping for a bit more than that

Gismo
12th December 2003, 09:59 PM
The BBR 275 BHP motor is running with stock gearbox and clutch, i've read it somewhere that the gearbox will handle 280 BHP

Bonnie Scotland

Quik_Mini
14th December 2003, 11:01 AM
Still need new ones then.. :(

Gismo
14th December 2003, 09:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Quik_Mini

Still need new ones then.. :(
Maybe if you told us how much you expect to put through it we could advise a bit better

Bonnie Scotland

Fontal
14th December 2003, 11:40 PM
I wasn't aware of any company that do strengthened pistons and con-rods and other internal componants as surly when you are getting to that levels of bhp the standard ones aint going to last long?

Fontal

Quik_Mini
15th December 2003, 02:17 AM
Looking for about 350bhp yea there will be no company that makes them, will need to get them all made from scratch by an engineering company. Will basically be a full new engine...... Basically a nice winning lottery ticket would come in very useful. But wont be starting the project for another 2 months because I need to wait for my Cooper S, no point doing it all to a cooper.

Julz
15th December 2003, 02:29 AM
350bhp, I think you might need a bigger car mate to take a bigger engine. The uprated suspension etc. of the BBR was basically on the limits with the 275bhp. Personally I see no point going that overboard on such a small car, have you thought about an Evo VI??:p] That and a hefty bank balance to pay for insurance if you're 19!!:eek:
p.s. what's the most powerful car you've actually driven on a day to day basis?

Gismo
15th December 2003, 02:45 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but that's all i think it can be, go here (http://www.mini2.com//forum/showthread.php?t=42976&highlight=blue+thunder) to see a turbo S

Good luck :)

Bonnie Scotland

Quik_Mini
15th December 2003, 06:12 PM
Won't be with a turbo though, will be with a supercharger :) and ty, i will need all the luck I can get lol

Quik_Mini
15th December 2003, 06:36 PM
Hhehe took me a while ut just finished reading that turbo mini thread, seems like a really nice piece of kit, well done to the guy, just don't really see the point on putting a turbo on the engine when it is already primed for a charger :)

For a start the main reason people don't get chargers is because the zap engine power, but the amount of engine power zapped (from a rotrex) is nothing compared to the lag you would get on a 1.6 from a T3 or especially a T4 turbo. Only real way to combat the lag would be anti-lag of course, but then you are talking about it on this scale you are also talking about stopping for petrol every 50 miles. And don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't really be up for that lol. But each to their own eh :D :D

Ty for the link to this post btw, hopefully this group have developed a higher strength gearbox , clutch etc, would save me alot of hassle.

Julz
15th December 2003, 06:59 PM
Totally agree with you on the turbo side of things, we've had turbo charged cars in the past, and they ain't got that oomph of the supercharger, BUT, they do have dump valves!! mmmmmmm;):D How about an Evo engine in a mini, would it fit??
Or even a huge tank of NOS!!:approve::D

Quik_Mini
15th December 2003, 07:39 PM
mmmmmmm dump valves, but the rotrex has a thing much better than a standard dump valve, a rattlesnake... Its like a dump valve but instead of just going tshhhhhh it goes tsh tsh tsh tsh tsh tsh tsh really fast like a rattlesnake :D

Heh an Evo engine in a Mini would be really nice, doubt it would fit but it would be nice, but in all honesty if I get to 350bhp it wont really be that much faster on a 1/4 mile etc than a 300bhp mini, just bascially due to the fact of that with FWD I will be wheelspinning the whole way through 1st and 2nd if I floor it.

Just a little show of what the manufacturers see of the difference between chargers and turbos, can people write down the companies that genrally put superchargers in their cars, and the companies that genrally put turbos in their cars.

broken_brian
23rd December 2003, 11:45 PM
since reading ur post about getting about 350 bhp from ur s i have done a little bit of noseing around the net (not like that b4 any of u start :clown:). It could be possible but it would involve considerable expense due to getting lots of machining done which would involve wedging and kinifeedging the crank no need to replace its forged so its nice and strong get the rest of the engine blueprinted which is basicaly getting the rotating mass all nice and balanced so that it can take the higher rpm needed to get more power i think it has forged pistons already but if it hasnt u would also need to get them as well or u could just replace them with better forged ones since the engine will be in bits anyway. the big valve head would also be needed i also think that u would need to find a larger supercharger to shift more air for less supercharger stress due to higher rpm, or change it to a turbo. as for the clutch ap racing do a race clutch they also do a big brake conversion which u will need. And finaly quaife do a dog engagement gearbox which is stronger or u could find out if getrag do uprated internals. As for a good machine shop u will just need to have a look about
lesson over. now time for a lie down :clown::clown:

here are a few links to guide u on ur way
www.apracing.com/car/index.htm
www.webcon.co.uk/alpha/index.htm
www.quaife.co.uk/index2.htm
hope this helps

ps. 300 bhp sounds more realistic and will be more tractable

Big Gordy
24th December 2003, 12:17 AM
quote:Just a little show of what the manufacturers see of the difference between chargers and turbos, can people write down the companies that genrally put superchargers in their cars, and the companies that genrally put turbos in their cars.
QM here are manufacturers I can think of off the top of my head
Superchargers; BMW mini,mercedes,VW,Jaguar,ehhhh cant think of any more :I
Turbos; Porsche,Masarati,Fiat,Toyota,Subaru,Renualt,Mitsib ushi,Nissan,Audi,Lancia,Jaguar,Smart, ehhhh there's bound to be more.
:p:D:approve:

Quik_Mini
6th January 2004, 10:50 PM
Already done a Saxo at 350bhp so can't see any problems with the Mini

Yes the Cooper S already hs forged pistons, but they will still need changed for lower compression pistons, obviously I will be running plenty of boost so will need mega mega low compression.

Already know the charger, Rotrex designed for 3.6Ltr cars, stress on the charger is no problem, rotrex runs at low charge temps (pretty much negates any massive need for an intercooler, still need one though), its very very compact, spins at very high revs, carries no drag (about as much as the altenator takes)

Yea big valve head obviously, enlarged throttlebody housing, bigger cams, new injectors, sigcon to confuse the ecu, mk2 to adjust the fuelant, quaife dogbox was the one I had in mind, ap racing clutch is really good, but only a twin plate, will be looking to get a triple plate clutch (cant remember the name of the company, got it in the house). And will be getting other things, far too much work for my liking hehehehe :D :D :D