PDA

View Full Version : 2 spoke steering wheel for a 3 spoke

jayex
2nd September 2006, 07:33 PM
Just a quick question does anyone know how much work is involved in switching a 2 spoke for a 3 spoke? i know i would need the 3 spoke airbag for the 3 spoke wheel as mine would be no good ( have a two spoke at just now and want to change it )was quoted £33 from BMW to change my current 2 spoke wheel for a different 2 spoke ( obviosly this is just the fitting charge as i already have the parts) do you think it would be a lot more labour to fit the 3 spoke instead ?
Also does it matter the year of the car or will any wheel fit from any year of car?
confused !!..
:p

MartinSullivan
2nd September 2006, 09:49 PM
I think John has looked into this and pretty sure its a straight swap. Do you have MFSW? Thats the only bit Im not sure of - how easy it would be to swap cables for the buttons over.

This thread on Mini2 suggest is definitely possible (http://www.mini2.com/forum/interior-ice/51735-retrofit-3-spoke-steering-wheel-available.html?highlight=fitting+3+spoke+wheel)

X30YES
2nd September 2006, 10:25 PM
Its easy and takes 10-20 mins if you have the tools etc , torx screwdriver T25 and a socket set ...disconnet the battery ,if you dont when you sick the screwdriver in to unlock the air bag ,you'll jump oot your skin ...mail sent with pdf etc

jayex
4th September 2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys, mail recieved ;) my steering wheel isnt a MFSW so that keeps things simpler :p
looks fairly straight forward - famous last words !! :eek::p

Big Col
4th September 2006, 10:24 PM
Can I have your wheels after you've electrocuted yourself mate? :D

Scottie
4th September 2006, 10:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by jayex

Just a quick question does anyone know how much work is involved in switching a 2 spoke for a 3 spoke? i know i would need the 3 spoke airbag for the 3 spoke wheel as mine would be no good ( have a two spoke at just now and want to change it )was quoted £33 from BMW to change my current 2 spoke wheel for a different 2 spoke ( obviosly this is just the fitting charge as i already have the parts) do you think it would be a lot more labour to fit the 3 spoke instead ?
Also does it matter the year of the car or will any wheel fit from any year of car?
confused !!..

from the Dealer changing from 2 to 3 and buying the airbag the airbag works out to be about £150 from memory.

jayex
4th September 2006, 10:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Can I have your wheels after you've electrocuted yourself mate? :D

LOL ... No Problem - you have it in writing :p will have ma rubber wellys on just in case tho :clown:
Julie

jayex
4th September 2006, 11:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

confused !!..

from the Dealer changing from 2 to 3 and buying the airbag the airbag works out to be about £150 from memory.

Yeah spoke to the dealer today and a 3 spoke airbag's pretty expensive :eek: waiting for a call back on the total price for a JCW wheel and Airbag etc - still trying to decide whether to put the park lane steering wheel on or really splash out !...:p

Big Col
4th September 2006, 11:25 PM
<peers> Julie? I never knew you were a girly j! I should really learn to click on people's profiles!

A girly working on cars? WOO HOO I'm going to be getting new wheels! :D

MartinSullivan
4th September 2006, 11:26 PM
<peers> Julie? I never knew you were a girly j! I should really learn to click on people's profiles!

Lol you only know now cause I told you - made me laugh seeing you keep calling Julie mate

Scottie
4th September 2006, 11:27 PM

Big Col, you've lost me. Julie working on cars.????? disnae say that on her profile.:)

jayex
4th September 2006, 11:29 PM

:eek::eek::eek: How Very Rude !!!... LOL... prob right tho ;)
£ 570.85 for the JCW wheel from BMW ... looks like i'm fitting the Park lane wheel myself for now - so keep your fingers crossed Col - you might be in luck ;):eek: - Look out for the big flash in the sky !!! :clown:

jayex
4th September 2006, 11:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Lol you only know now cause I told you - made me laugh seeing you keep calling Julie mate

Me too!!.. :p:D Although in fairness the user name is a big vague :clown:

X30YES
4th September 2006, 11:39 PM

<just let him get in deeper>:p;)

james f
5th September 2006, 05:40 AM

:eek::eek::eek: How Very Rude !!!... LOL... prob right tho ;)
£ 570.85 for the JCW wheel from BMW ... looks like i'm fitting the Park lane wheel myself for now - so keep your fingers crossed Col - you might be in luck ;):eek: - Look out for the big flash in the sky !!! :clown:

if you can get an air bag neministuff.com do the wheel for 240 quid + 30 ish for the insetets in carbon fiber + postage

Big Col
5th September 2006, 05:43 AM

<coffs> Uhm yeah...well...that did kinda help. :I