PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for the full value

Vosh
10th December 2003, 10:57 PM
After discovering that Elephant and some other insurance compies don't cover for options, ie: Chilli pack and only cover the base value of the car ie: car gets nicked I only get a cheque for £11,700, can anyone direct me in the direction of a good insurance company?

This driving me nuts arguing with people that they are factory fitted etc but they all but hanging up on me. :mad:

Julz
10th December 2003, 11:18 PM
Adrian Flux are good, I'm £900 with everything covered!!:D

Vosh
10th December 2003, 11:38 PM
Cheers Julz. I'll give them a go.

Must apologise for my first post, just re-read it and the typing is all over the place. Was a bit frustrated when typing it!

Wul
10th December 2003, 11:48 PM
Mini insurance offer insurance for a chilli pack - as do priviledge (Royal Bank of Scotland)

KenL
10th December 2003, 11:52 PM
I believe that Directline cover extras as they ask what ones are fitted to the car. Please let me know if you know otherwise.

Quik_Mini
11th December 2003, 12:36 AM
Cheapest quote I have been given is from Tescos insurance......

Tahra
11th December 2003, 12:42 AM
We went through the AA who were pretty good, I think our Coop was under £300 despite being Chillied and a few others - was able to negotiate a different excess too, unfortunately not an option when we changed to an S.......

Vosh
11th December 2003, 01:10 AM
The AA quoted me £1300! I hung on them...

Quik_Mini
11th December 2003, 01:18 AM
Hehe I think alot of companies are better for different types of people, for example, tescos are good for young drivers because they don't really care that much about age, they just wack on a larger exess to make up for the lower quote.. But I have heard that Diamond insurance is good, but only for females... And Henry Brothers recommend Bell Direct.

Vosh
11th December 2003, 01:25 AM
I hung 'UP' on them. Can't type today at all...

Scheckter MC
11th December 2003, 02:37 AM
Anyone tried Axa and have comments to offer?

Currently with Elephant on my Cooper, but Cooper S ordered and due 1st March '04. Will stick with Elephant 'til full renewal in June '04, then definitely moving elsewhere - spec'd Chili, Aero, plus one or two other extras on the MCS, and I don't want to fork out over 3-grand of my own if the worst should ever happen.

Spent a few mins on other companies websites trying to get a sensible quote, and Axa online provided the cheapest. While they didn't specifically ask what mods the car (would) have, the online process did offer the following question;

'Q: Has your car been modified from the manufacturers original specification?'

The help text next to this added;

'If your car has modifications other than the options your manufacturer provides, please answer "Yes".'

Am I being completely optimistic / naive by thinking that Chili, Aero, etc are 'options my manufacturer provides', and therefore I check the 'No' box here? Then the car value of £18k I input later is correctly covered?!?!?!?!?!??

May have to phone them......

What miffs me even more is that a 27yr old mate of mine in Edinburgh who parks on the street is now paying only £568 fully comp for his brand spanking VX220 Turbo.
:mad:

Sorry if I've hijacked this one at all, but car insurance is a never ending tale of frustration and anger......

seany
11th December 2003, 02:47 AM
both of the minis ar with Liverpool Victoria very cheep

Vosh
11th December 2003, 04:19 AM
I've no 'no claims' as I've not had insurance for about 10yrs. Clean licence though. Direct Line quoted me £660. Privilege quoted £600. What I can't understand is that Privilege and Direct Line are both Royal Bank of Scotland companies!

Duncan Stewart
11th December 2003, 05:30 PM
Just checked my insurance renewal with Direct line (due Jan) and they list Cooper, Cooper pepper, Cooper chilli, etc as seperate models. Quoting me under £250 so looks like I will stay with them.
My classic mini is insured with AXA and I found them very helpful when I phoned about altering the policy (and they actually answered the phone when I called them!)

Tahra
11th December 2003, 08:50 PM
Our Cooper S was a bit more expensive to insure - Schekter, didnt quite double but our excess went from £150 to £500 ( I think, and was told it was compulsory ) was told that the excess would probably go down next year as the car gets more popular. So you'll probably benefit from the extra few months. Bell direct was good with one of our previous cars - the premium actually went down when another driver was added. Still could be worse know someone with an Elise and he has a compulsory 1K excess.....gulp. That would make you drive sedately.......

euan
17th December 2003, 08:34 PM
Blimey - a 1K excess? thats steep. I'm with esure - cheapest on my S by a mile, however they will only cover you if your over 30 on an S. I only got covered as I was an existing customer and had been for a couple of years. But they were about 100 less than everyone else.