PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Lynsey
29th August 2006, 03:06 AM
Driving back from Wales today after camping for the bank holiday weekend, when we were hit by a rather large stone on the front windscreen, which happens to be right in my sight line, which is annoying! However the crack on the window is about 1.5cm, but it looks quite deep! So I'm worried that if I have anymore stones or chips in the window it could shatter, so I'm gona need to look at getting it fixed or a new window I think.

Anyone any advice of where to go, or how I should go about getting it sorted.

Much appreciated in advance!

johnsop1
29th August 2006, 03:10 AM
Could be wrong but don't think it will shatter. Crack will get bigger and travel though!

PACMAN
29th August 2006, 03:10 AM
AutoGlass are you best bet. it should be covered in your insurance or a small payment to make ;)

Sweeney
29th August 2006, 03:13 AM
I think the major concern may be the crack spreading; if your a member of the RAC im sure they do crack and chip repairs? If your not a member i assume it wouldn't be hard to get them to sort it, something tells me its around about £30/£50 but don't quote me on that!

edit: posters above beat me to it :D

PACMAN
29th August 2006, 04:09 AM
quote:posters above beat me to it

:D:D:D:D:D:D

stoney
29th August 2006, 05:40 AM
they will not repair the wind screan as it is in ur view and ur insharance normal say if it is a repair then it is free and if a new windscrean is needed norm about £50 or £60 as rest have said

Craig
29th August 2006, 06:06 AM
Phone your insurance.

pay the excess for windscreen cover (normally about £50)

they come to you at your work or house. Doesn't matter who does it, as it is covered by your insurance, doesn't count as a claim - and it's covered by a warranty for the fitting by the company that fits it. :D

SORTED. :approve::approve:

Crombers
29th August 2006, 06:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

Phone your insurance.

pay the excess for windscreen cover (normally about £50)

they come to you at your work or house. Doesn't matter who does it, as it is covered by your insurance, doesn't count as a claim - and it's covered by a warranty for the fitting by the company that fits it. :D

SORTED. :approve::approve:

Yup as MrD states :approve:

I have a rather large 'bullet' mark on my windscreen that Autoglass have repaired (as best they could). Guy that did the repair said that it would be best to replace window next time but after next week ;) I think I'll be gettin a new screen to keep up with the rest of the car :approve:

X30YES
29th August 2006, 07:10 AM
It should be ok for a few weeks as the crak will travel bit by bit ,but nothing to worry about and wont shatter ...I had a crack in my last windscreen for 3-4 months growing about an inch per month (low milage driver tho) Auto glass mobile "welded" a stone chip in the screen for £40 before that(via insurance),when it cracks big time a new windscreen is req'd

DJBlack
4th September 2006, 12:51 PM
..did you get the windscren replaired or replaced? Who did it for you?

I have a big stone hit on mine...and (heated screen...) am nervous as to who will repair it properly..

So many screen changes end up with leaks and wind noise....

DJ

X30YES
4th September 2006, 11:47 PM
Repaired it first ..np ...then another stone chip forced a new screen ...after about a few months of the crack getting bigger and bigger. Auto glass mobile did both repairs

Lynsey
5th September 2006, 02:54 AM
Luckily I have a contact who repairs windscreens for the RAC so I'm going to get him to have a look and let me know what I'm best doing!