PDA

View Full Version : MINI Disaster!!

Smitty
28th August 2006, 06:06 AM
My poor wee MINI is an absolute mess!!:(

It all stated off on Wednesday when it went to John Clarks in Dundee for its 10,000mile service under the TLC cover.

I go to drive it for the first time on Saturday night I before pulling away I try to scoosh the rear window but the wiper just smears the grim. After closer inspection it looks like oil/grease over the back of the car. Don’t think anything of it, give the window a quick was h and off I set! Half way their window is filthy again and wont clean! Its now to dark to investigate so I decided to wait till the morning.

Discovered that oil was leaking, running right underneath the car and being thrown up the back. What a mess it has made!:dead::blackeye:

Phoned MINI emergency and they send out a mechanic to sort the leak (tuned out to be a dodgy O-Ring on the new Oil Filter). Fantastic mechanic, sound guy, and can have no complaints about him.:D:approve:

But John Clark are getting contacted tomorrow morning and I will be demanding a full valet of the bodywork, and a full steam clean underneath and in the engine bay because it is covered in oil and grime. Poor poor car!:(

It has also ruined the driveway at home, covered the lock blocks in oil so will be enquiry about possible compensation regarding this!

I’ll let you know how the phone call’s go tomorrow but overall, not happy with the dealership. After all an Oil Filter is the most basic thing to remove and replace correctly!:dead::mad:

james f
28th August 2006, 08:11 AM
its amzing what can happen by people who are supposed to know what they are doing that is why all my matinace and brakes, etc has been done buy lohen for the past year and a half as id rather a quilifed race tech who works on old f1 cars and gt3 porches do my car at 40 quid an hour

Gismo
29th August 2006, 04:02 AM
This scares me knowing my M3 is going in for it's first major service tomorrow :eek:

Big Col
29th August 2006, 04:10 AM
Yeah yeah! Any old excuse to squeeze in that he's got an M3! ;)

PACMAN
29th August 2006, 04:12 AM
ouch !!! that's going to cost you :eek:

my mates M3 was a good bit over a £1000 for a services

Smitty
29th August 2006, 04:22 AM
UPDATE:

The car is gettin picked up tomorrow morning, with a coutesy car being left (praying for an 'S':p).

The car will get steam cleaned and a full valet. They are also paying for the damaged driveway to be power washed so all in all good recovery by John Clark.....

......well as long as they do a good job tomorrow!

Will report back tomorrow night!!

Gismo
29th August 2006, 04:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN
my mates M3 was a good bit over a £1000 for a servicesYup, i know :disapprove:

PACMAN
29th August 2006, 04:28 AM
better off with a Audi RS4

Gismo
29th August 2006, 04:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty
They are also paying for the damaged driveway to be power washed so all in all good recovery by John Clark.....Hmm, power washing lock blocks ain't a good idea as the water penetrates the block due to the pressure, but, once should be ok, nice result from JC's though :)

Smitty
29th August 2006, 04:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

They are also paying for the damaged driveway to be power washed so all in all good recovery by John Clark.....Hmm, power washing lock blocks ain't a good idea as the water penetrates the block due to the pressure, but, once should be ok, nice result from JC's though :)

It's ok, my dad does it quite a lot to remove general dirt and it does the job. Will need some sort of detergant to remove the oil though. Got some pro's in, after all, their paying for it!:p

Good luck with the M3.....and just check that oil filter when you get it back!!:dead:

X30YES
29th August 2006, 07:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Plus it will slacken the "lock block" and remove all that sand stuff,forcing water into the brick and under it as well ...ever seen a beach after a storm ? ...then you get subsidance !!!!!,the good thing is the car will look clean and fresh again tho:p;)

minidriver#1
29th August 2006, 07:56 AM
John Clarks.... should I start another rant?

Crombers
29th August 2006, 08:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

Oh god no !!

;)

Julz
29th August 2006, 05:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

And I'll join you!!! I had a very similar situation as this! My mini had been in for a service at JC's and within a few days I noticed drops of oil on my sparkling garage floor! Took it into JC's, they say it was a loose O ring and an oil change and new filter was required, WHICH I HAD TO PAY FOR!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

As for pacmans comment re the RS4, we're actually looking at either an S4 or an S6 (can't afford that extra letter!!!):I:)

Burple
29th August 2006, 06:07 PM
I was in there a couple of weeks ago and was asked "how come you don't buy any of your cars from us?"

I really didn't have the heart to tell them it was cos of all the horror stories I've read on here over the last couple of years!

:blackeye::eek:

Mind you if they let me swap the One for that Black JCW S with the new Recaros in the showroom I wouldn't say no! ;);):D

Mon the fish
30th August 2006, 05:23 AM
I was advised by my dealer after my service to keep an eye for leaks from the oil filter. Seems to be a common problem!

Smitty
30th August 2006, 07:14 AM
Well the MINI is cleaned and its fair to say it is spotless!!:cool:

They have steam cleaned and re protected the underside and engine bay. The bodywork has been given a full valet, including a polish and scrub up of the trim, wheels and tyres! And the inside was fully cleaned aswell.:)

So fair to say hats of to John Clarks, yes they caused the problem, but they certainly did well in fixing it!:D

The problem with the O-Ring is that when fitted, if not done carefully, it can fold over itself, leaving gaps for oil to leak from. Its not a fault as such, it more a fitting fault. When the mechanics fit it, the experienced one's will run the engine for a bit once replacing the filter. But the slap dash, trainee engineers will cut corners and miss out the running of the engine, thereofre not identify leaks!:blackeye::eek:

As for the lock blocks....they've been powerwashed many of time and there not a thing wrong with them!!:approve:

PACMAN
30th August 2006, 07:27 AM
A JC first them ... i bet the price of your next services has just gone up;)

they do nothing for free

Smitty
30th August 2006, 07:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

A JC first them ... i bet the price of your next services has just gone up;)

they do nothing for free

Next service to Menzies if thats the case!!:evil:

Got the TLC pack anyway, so dont have to pay for 2 more years!!:D

lightbody
30th August 2006, 08:11 PM
EXACTLY the same thing happened to me.

Except in my case, it was the middle of winter, the car was grimy already, and I just thought it was diesel off the road or something...

Gorbash12346
6th September 2006, 03:53 AM
it is indeed a common problem but it's actually very easy to spot and it just highlights that whoever worked on it either didn't check it with the engine running (believe me it comes out at quite a fair rate) or they where unlucky and only nicked it when it went in and the pressure tore it soon after

the problem stems from the oil filter housing being at the back of the engine (to the left and next to the exhaust manifold) basically when putting the new oil filter in because the o-ring has such a close fit it is very easy for it to get caught in between the housing and the top cover as you tighten it down basically either putting a small nick in it or severing it completely which because of it's location you have absolutley **** all chance of seeing so u have to tighten it down feeling for any movement of the seal and then start it up and re-check with it running as the oil pressure will likely highlight any problems

this is how i do it at work as i have had this happen to me once and since then i've managed to at least spot the leaks and replace the o-ring if needed before it leaves the workshop

hope u get it fixed neways

Gorbash12346
6th September 2006, 03:58 AM

When the mechanics fit it, the experienced one's will run the engine for a bit once replacing the filter. But the slap dash, trainee engineers will cut corners and miss out the running of the engine, thereofre not identify leaks!:blackeye::eek:

that sounds very much like a workshop controllers bs reasoning it's actually quite frequently the older guys who think their god's and don't need to check... 2nd yr apprentices do it at the very least ;)

stoney
6th September 2006, 11:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gorbash12346

When the mechanics fit it, the experienced one's will run the engine for a bit once replacing the filter. But the slap dash, trainee engineers will cut corners and miss out the running of the engine, thereofre not identify leaks!:blackeye::eek:

that sounds very much like a workshop controllers bs reasoning it's actually quite frequently the older guys who think their god's and don't need to check... 2nd yr apprentices do it at the very least ;)

you would say that u better take good care of my baby 2 morw as it is going 2 the body shop 2 get my mirror cap re sprayed !!!!

Gorbash12346
7th September 2006, 05:58 AM
lol bodyshop has nothing to do with us i'm afraid just make sure u give it a very very thorough look over... i'll happily pay extra for someone else to paint my stuff rather than go through there is all i'm saying