PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Range Gauge

Burple
28th August 2006, 05:10 AM
Not really a fault I don't think, just a warning!

Let the car run donw the fuel a bit this weekend, and had the trip computer switched onto the range indicator for the last couple of days, with some scary results..

Was on my wasy to the local Sainsburys to get petrol before a scoot to Perth yesterday, and at the roundabout next to the garage, the car conked out :I ...still showing 11 miles range!
Was able to coast into the pumps ok tho :D
I know it's been below that before (I think it was at 7 miles left :I a few weeks back) with no problems - that's when I filled up.
So, just a warning really, don't trust the display when it gets so low! :I:clown:

Smitty
28th August 2006, 05:51 AM
How much litres did you get in when you filled up? Could work out from that how much was left!:)

And a "negative" note. I've heard that its not brilliant to run the fuel down that far becuase then all the gunk in the bottom of your fuel tanks begins to go throught the fuel lines and clog them up. Or is that just an old wifies tale??:kiss::kiss::p

AndyP & Lenore
28th August 2006, 06:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

How much litres did you get in when you filled up? Could work out from that how much was left!:)

And a "negative" note. I've heard that its not brilliant to run the fuel down that far becuase then all the gunk in the bottom of your fuel tanks begins to go throught the fuel lines and clog them up. Or is that just an old wifies tale??:kiss::kiss::p

If it's an old wife's tale I was told it by the same old wife. I still hold by that rule. Don't let your tank run too dry!;)

john
28th August 2006, 07:18 AM
My second mini I broke-down,I checked the range it was bellow zero and just had two dashes -- ,It turned out to be totally acurate as I had NO fuel:D:D

stoney
28th August 2006, 07:28 PM
i had mine down 2 nothing at one point but got 2 the garage in time:)

X30YES
28th August 2006, 07:41 PM
1 was my lowest :eek:..bottled it :p.. and topped up :D

euan
28th August 2006, 08:53 PM
I bottle it at 20 on mine, guess I'm just a big jessie.

Had a bad experience in the Australia in a hire car and a petrol station which had run out of petrol, vowed never to chance it again!

PACMAN
28th August 2006, 09:08 PM
I've had mine at 0 mile on the trip computer and made it to a garage :eek:

minimadtez
28th August 2006, 11:29 PM
Ive had mine on 0 and driven from alford to aberdeen without breaking down.....mine will stay on zero for ages, its only once konked out, that was right at the pump in the petrol station.....lucky (and it had been showing zero for some time)

Crombers
29th August 2006, 06:16 AM
1 mile & shat myself :I

Made it to the garage mind :clown:

The Bull
29th August 2006, 06:23 AM
I heard a more worrying story that you can permanently damage your cat if you let the car completely run out of petrol. Don't ask me how.

Crombers
29th August 2006, 06:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by The Bull

I heard a more worrying story that you can permanently damage your cat if you let the car completely run out of petrol. Don't ask me how.

Aw feck !! , that's the last time I touch cloth !!

X30YES
29th August 2006, 07:01 AM

All the crap lies at the bottom of the tank and is then sucked into the carbs /injectors etc, or so they used to say

Crombers
29th August 2006, 07:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

All the crap lies at the bottom of the tank and is then sucked into the carbs /injectors etc, or so they used to say

The way we drive our MINI's (:I) the crap gets all shaken up anyhow ;):approve:

Burple
29th August 2006, 06:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

Aw feck !! , that's the last time I touch cloth !!

<sniggers> :D:D:D:D:D:D

Burple
29th August 2006, 06:09 PM

Since they're relatively new cars.. there shouldn't *BE* any crap in the tanks...
Unless Garages are selling sub-standard fuel.... ;)

Gismo
29th August 2006, 06:29 PM
The outlet pipe is usually set higher than the bottom of the tank to allow for debris fallout, but, it's not a good idea to let the tank run too near the empty ;)

Smitty
30th August 2006, 07:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Since they're relatively new cars.. there shouldn't *BE* any crap in the tanks...
Unless Garages are selling sub-standard fuel.... ;)

Well if you fill up at Tesco's, Asda or Sainsbury's there will be crap at the bottom of your fuel tank!!:dead::p

PACMAN
30th August 2006, 07:28 AM
Morrison is ok them :)

Smitty
30th August 2006, 07:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

Morrison is ok them :)

Ok, ok, i missed one out!!!:p

PACMAN
30th August 2006, 07:40 AM
:disapprove: bolls

Smitty
30th August 2006, 07:42 AM

:disapprove: bolls

:p

You should know by now that supermarket fuel is cheaper for a reason!! Crooks that they are!!:blackeye:

PACMAN
30th August 2006, 08:16 AM
quote:You should know by now that supermarket fuel is cheaper for a reason!! Crooks that they are!!

not as big as the oil companies :eek:

Burple
30th August 2006, 06:05 PM

quote:You should know by now that supermarket fuel is cheaper for a reason!! Crooks that they are!!

You're not wrong there!

I think they shake their magic 8-ball to decide what reason to give for increasing the prices every week.

bpirie1000
30th August 2006, 06:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

You're not wrong there!

I think they shake their magic 8-ball to decide what reason to give for increasing the prices every week.

Funny you should mention that I have one here. And I do work for an Oil company....< SPOOKEY >