PDA

View Full Version : Considering converting a 2004 MCS to JCW

Astrohaggis
23rd August 2006, 09:40 PM
Hi! It's been a while since I did anything NMS (hope you're all well!) but I'd like your expert advice.

I've got an early 2004 IB/W MCS and I'm considering getting the Works conversion. :p I'm undecided whether or not to go ahead for a few reasons:
1. it doesn't have the LSD and it has the older gearings (against)
2. it's the last of the Indi Blues (for) :)
3. it's got a great spec (for)
4. there are no more 2006 builds available with individualised spec, only pre-spec'd ones, so I'd rather keep mine (for)
5. I'm not a big fan of the new new mini (no supercharger!)

What are your opinions? Should I go ahead, or am I much better off changing to the 2005-6 car? (I know you can get aftermarket LSDs but I need to keep my warranty!).

I'm particularly interested in views from anyone who has driven an old vs new MCS JCW. Cheers! :D

Mini Me
24th August 2006, 12:51 AM
after all we went through to spec the one you have , i aint getting involved:p....
The JCW is superb tho......

Best of luck mate.

stoney
24th August 2006, 02:01 AM
jwc is soo good i have the 2004 one in indi blue u can get the 210bhp kit i think mine is the 204bhp one and i love it

broken_brian
24th August 2006, 04:14 AM
keep the indy blue car as you like the spec and just put the works convertion in it, and where is the fun in having a slipper diff it is more fun smoking the wheels on the way out of a roundabout just like my alfa 155 used to do :evil:

If you did fit a slipper diff what are the chances of the dealer finding out about it unless the box expires ;)

stoney
24th August 2006, 06:19 AM
think u can get a dealer lsd jcw one with the pack as a add on :)

james f
24th August 2006, 06:45 AM
yeah jcw and if you can lsd as well if the delaer wont do it the mini sport or lohen etc

Mon the fish
24th August 2006, 06:01 PM
I've got one of the last 210 JCW's before the LSD came standard with the Chilli pack (Dec 04 build). If I'd known about it when I ordered the car (July 04) I would have waited...

I asked about getting the LSD retro-fitted, I was told that it couldn't be done because the floorplan was changed to accomodate the LSD, so a £100 option on a new S would cost £3k to retro-fit due to having to change the gearbox, suspension etc. :disapprove:

Gismo
24th August 2006, 07:07 PM
If you really think you need an LSD then go aftermarket ;) you're warranty is gonna run out soon if you keep the car ;) besides, the LSD will be supplied with warranty :p

Burple
24th August 2006, 07:20 PM
Hey Ben, welcome back! :cool:

(do it!! convert it!!)

:D:D:D

Astrohaggis
24th August 2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the replies! :D

I am very seriously tempted and I reckon I will go ahead with the conversion (when I can scrape the money together!). Even without the LSD a Works is still a superb car! :p

@Mon the fish - how do you find your 'old' JCW?

Mon the fish
25th August 2006, 03:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Astrohaggis

Thanks for the replies! :D

I am very seriously tempted and I reckon I will go ahead with the conversion (when I can scrape the money together!). Even without the LSD a Works is still a superb car! :p

@Mon the fish - how do you find your 'old' JCW?

She's not that old! :D

Absolutely love it, its fantastic. JCW kit got fitted at the PDI, so I never drove it as a normal S, so I can't compare it. But it is amazing, and the LSD isn't needed that much anyway :p

X30YES
28th August 2006, 11:00 PM
Ask Crombers :approve:,he just spent the day in a 210 :p:cool:

redpoint rallying
29th August 2006, 05:32 AM
I fitted the 210bhp JCW kit to my 2003 'S' at 30,000 miles and have since done 20,000 miles with it including a recent month trip round the Swiss and French Alps on the best roads in the world where it was utterly superb! Go for it. The lack of an LSD is just not an issue at all.

cheers

M

X30YES
29th August 2006, 06:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying

I fitted the 210bhp JCW kit to my 2003 'S' at 30,000 miles and have since done 20,000 miles with it including a recent month trip round the Swiss and French Alps on the best roads in the world where it was utterly superb! Go for it. The lack of an LSD is just not an issue at all.

cheers

M
Pictures Martin ?

Crombers
29th August 2006, 07:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Ask Crombers :approve:,he just spent the day in a 210 :p:cool:

& WHAT a feckin car (& thanks again Angus) :approve:

Astrohaggis
29th August 2006, 09:15 AM
quote:The lack of an LSD is just not an issue at all. That is exactly what I wanted to hear! :D

I've already decided to go ahead with the conversion, and I am SO excited! :):):)

Now I need to get quotes (I'm wanting the conversion, JCW sills, aero skirts and start button! Wheels, brakes, etc can wait til later). Hopefully I can get it done in the next couple of weeks so I can enjoy it when I drive up to Scotland next month. :p

Mon the fish
30th August 2006, 05:05 AM
You want the brakes and the wheels, you know you do... :D
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/gordonfgunn/Minis1.jpg

Astrohaggis
1st September 2006, 11:15 PM
quote:You want the brakes and the wheels, you know you do...
Yes, I know I do! :D

Well, I've ordered the 210bhp JCW kit - going to have an overnight stop in Blackpool on my way north in a couple of weeks. Also getting a start button, JCW sills, and aero side skirts (although that will probably be on the way back down). I'll probably get the suspension, brakes and new wheels sometime next year I think.

I'm going to have a Works! OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY... :D:D:D:p

redpoint rallying
2nd September 2006, 06:28 AM
Trying this photobucket thing here for a few Alps trip photos in the Works....this may not work but here goes -

Edit:-
Links sorted in next post :p:I

redpoint rallying
2nd September 2006, 06:29 AM
Didnt work did it ?!!! ha ha....

redpoint rallying
2nd September 2006, 06:33 AM
Might have sussed it this time.....cant cope with the suspense! didnt do any 'driving' photos...too busy driving and climbing!

Image 1 (http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/clashindarroch/ALPS2006348.jpg)

Image 2 (http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/clashindarroch/ALPS2006218.jpg)

Image 3 (http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/clashindarroch/ALPS2006166.jpg)

Edit:- Pictures too large to show

Sweeney
2nd September 2006, 06:46 AM
Works steering wheel, handbrake and gear stick too? :p you know you want to ;)

Astrohaggis
16th September 2006, 07:04 AM
HOORAY - I HAVE A WORKS!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Got my mini back today. It's better already, and I'm still running it in (only 270 miles to go until I can floor it!). :p

Gismo
16th September 2006, 05:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Astrohaggis
HOORAY - I HAVE A WORKS!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
Got my mini back today. It's better already, and I'm still running it in (only 270 miles to go until I can floor it!). :p
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, i'm quite surprised how well they drive ;) are you considering the suspension and the brakes as well ;)

Crombers
17th September 2006, 04:41 AM
Coop every day :p;):D