PDA

View Full Version : Ipod integration rears it's head again...

euan
21st August 2006, 09:27 PM
I'm looking for some advice on the old ipod integration problem.

From what I see, there are three options - the MINI/BMW solution, Ice link Plus, and Connects2.

BMW quoted my £230 odd to fit their solution, and been quoted similar for the connects2 thing (which from what I make it just does the same thing).

I like the sound of the ice link (esp as it'll do ID3 tracks names on my stereo), but some garages I've spoken to won't touch it as they've had a few problems with them.

Anyone got any of these and what was your experience?

Gismo
24th August 2006, 03:23 PM
Are you installing onto a standard head unit?? with the priced you've been quoted it might be worth upgrading the head unit and getting the correct iPod connector, that will charge the iPod and play at the same time and show tags, you can get everything you need at New Mini Stuff (http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php)
Personally i would never use Dension stuff again, played havoc with the car electrics and also froze my iPod contantly :disapprove:

euan
24th August 2006, 04:41 PM
Ah, so THAT's the kind of problems with Denison! I heard problems with the iPod freezing, but not buggering the cars electrics.

I hear what your saying about the headunit, but it's to go into the 3 series so want (need?) to keep the existing unit in there. Will look at the connects2 unit again I think, unless I can get BMW to go a bit cheaper (however, I suspect it works on the same principles.

Gismo
24th August 2006, 05:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan
I hear what your saying about the headunit, but it's to go into the 3 series so want (need?)When i had the 330 i replaced the head unit as the BMW was very naff, simple swap, well for John it was :I do you have the nav screen etc, if not then i would still change the head unit ;)

lightbody
24th August 2006, 08:21 PM
My pal bought an FM transmitter (£30, PC world, made by Belkin). It works really well! No hassle. And can be taken to any car or radio.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/product/BELKIN/IPOD+FM/603053

euan
24th August 2006, 08:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

My pal bought an FM transmitter (£30, PC world, made by Belkin). It works really well! No hassle. And can be taken to any car or radio.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/product/BELKIN/IPOD+FM/603053

Thought about doing that (since they will soon be legal anyway ;)), but as I live in London, I think I'd spend all my time retuning the blooming thing as EVERY possible FM option is taken by dodgy local stations or pirate stations.

euan
24th August 2006, 08:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by euan
I hear what your saying about the headunit, but it's to go into the 3 series so want (need?)When i had the 330 i replaced the head unit as the BMW was very naff, simple swap, well for John it was :I do you have the nav screen etc, if not then i would still change the head unit ;)

No Sat Nav (wanted it, can't afford it!) so maybe an option, just like having the look of the standard head unit and while sonically it may be a bit pants, it's good enough for me (not enough bass though!)

Wul
24th August 2006, 10:39 PM
i'll second the aftermarket headunit route euan - my alpine setup works a treat (thanks fiona;))as you can browse playlists, albums, artists and tracks using the dial on the headunit and it charges the ipod at the same time:)

lightbody
25th August 2006, 12:52 AM
quote:but as I live in London, I think I'd spend all my time retuning the blooming thing as EVERY possible FM option is taken by dodgy local stations or pirate stations.I've been told the solution is to remove the car's aerial...

alanm73
25th August 2006, 04:00 AM
I've got the Denison ice link from new mini stuff was about £100.

Works a treat, never frozen, displays the tracks on the head unit, steering wheel buttons work the ipod, it's always fully charged when i take it out the car to use whit headphones, to sum up i would highly reccommend it.

p.s its used on a 2006 ipod video 30gb.

rockwellcm
26th August 2006, 07:49 AM
i have the BMW option,and had no problems it cost £175 fitted,with no help from the dealership as to how it works.

Infact it is very easy to work,you set up 5 Playlists Mini 1-5,the 6th is all the songs on my Ipod (which in my case is 400+ albums)with the playlists you get 99 songs in each,wich is more than enough for me,the downside is you get no display to tell you what track,and artist you are listning to.

its very neat instilation as its in the glove box,and on first inspection,you would not think there is an ipod fitted to the car,which is what i wanted (no flashy displays for me)

this beats the 6 cd changer hands down

do not go for the AXU option,as the sound will not be so good,and it wont charge your ipod while plasying

JR

OBN
28th August 2006, 11:41 PM
TUT TUT to PC World for selling the FM transmitter, they are technically illegal in the UK although I been using the iTrip for ages but the sound quality is not good at all and sometimes it cuts in and out.

euan
29th August 2006, 02:48 AM
Well, so far I've ruled out the FM radio, and am looking at the BMW or the connects2 - will price them up as I think they are going to cost me similar amounts of cash for very similar functionality.

Cheers for the help guys, will let you know the outcome!