PDA

View Full Version : gearboxes

S7JGW
21st August 2006, 08:48 PM
How long should a Mini gearbox last i seem to get about 40k - 45k out of the gearboxes this is the second one thats made noises and needs replaced. Its a 51 plate car with 91000 miles. I have heard they are soft on the gearboxe but surely not this soft. Anyone else had this bother.
Jim

sleepyrascal
21st August 2006, 10:47 PM
My car has 57000 miles and i'm on gbox number 3 which is starting to stick when changing down from 3 to 2. Booger!

bpirie1000
21st August 2006, 11:06 PM
me to.. There Pish......... think we should start a letter to MINI for this, Were keeping them in business afterall and all they can do is give us pisshy gearboxes.

Anyone else want to join me on my high horse??

X30YES
22nd August 2006, 12:18 AM
Add Martin to the that list Brian :D

Craig
22nd August 2006, 12:33 AM
My 03 plate car had problems with gear selection and in the end, they said "No fault found" which was a lot of pish... in the end, traded the car in and left it their problem...;)

The newer Gertrag gearbox seems to work much better and be more reliable (so I believe). I certainly feel it's a much more direct and smoother change. :approve::approve:

Is it possible to but the gertrag box in a pre-facelift MINI ? ?

james f
22nd August 2006, 01:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

My 03 plate car had problems with gear selection and in the end, they said "No fault found" which was a lot of pish... in the end, traded the car in and left it their problem...;)

The newer Gertrag gearbox seems to work much better and be more reliable (so I believe). I certainly feel it's a much more direct and smoother change. :approve::approve:

Is it possible to but the gertrag box in a pre-facelift MINI ? ?

yep as bmw had so many midlands units failing they now replave them with gertag ones as my mates failed and insted of a new midlands she got a gertag unit

Moonshine
22nd August 2006, 01:43 AM
me...
my midlands box main bearings were shagged at 75K, ended up getting the gearbox refurbed and changed the cluch (as preventative maintenance) at same time - cost me £700 at an independent - would have been approx £1600 at BMW (with BMW paying 60% of replacement gearbox cost, but no labour) as a goodwill gesture, so independent was still way cheaper...

Gerry

james f
22nd August 2006, 02:56 AM
apparently a six speed gertag from an s will fot a cooper so im thinking this better clutch and lsd for my cooper next year as the midalnds is renowned for not being able to cope with toruqe

Sweeney
22nd August 2006, 02:58 AM
The getrag boxes have a "known" problem with them as well i believe, obviously not as serious as the midlands box but i think it has caused a fair amount of people some problems.

james f
22nd August 2006, 03:32 AM
yeah i cant rember it thow but its a rumor that some midlands units were sabotaged but ive heard of folk who have been through 4 boxes and it turned out in the end it wasnt even the box it was just mounted badly and so was the clutch

Craig
22nd August 2006, 03:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

The getrag boxes have a "known" problem with them as well i believe, obviously not as serious as the midlands box but i think it has caused a fair amount of people some problems.

when you say "known" - do you mean the crunch when selecting reverse regardless of how to use the clutch etc... :question:

Sweeney
22nd August 2006, 03:42 AM
Nope, by "known" i meant some admit the problem and some don't, not entirely sure of the exact problem but i think it's a bearing or a manufacturing fault on them. The reverse gear crunch was not a known issue when i asked, upon asking the dealer; their valeter was parking a mini up not more than 10 yards away and crunched it into reverse and still they said not a known issue.

Lynsey
22nd August 2006, 03:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

when you say "known" - do you mean the crunch when selecting reverse regardless of how to use the clutch etc... :question:

I hate the gearbox, you'd think BMW would give us decent gearboxes, but no, it just a load of crap! I cringe putting the car in reverse, and my dad thinks I do it on purpose, before shouting up the street after me, "clutch down!!!!!" So i'll be showing him this rant and rave!!!

stoney
22nd August 2006, 03:50 AM
i had 2 have a new gear box in my last cooper the bearings had gone

Sweeney
22nd August 2006, 03:55 AM
Lynsey put it into first then select reverse, although remain stationary when doing so and it won't crunch.

james f
22nd August 2006, 04:21 AM
hhhhhmmmmm i smell a good excuse to add a short shifter to my list for my next loehn visit

bpirie1000
22nd August 2006, 05:40 AM
Looks LIke we have a great case for a LEtter To Mini For this..

Mmm standard letter that we all send at the ame time Comming up

Next question anyone good at Writting Snotty letters???

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2006, 05:58 AM
There's one easy way to stop having trouble with your manual gearboxes you know....;);););):eek:

S7JGW
22nd August 2006, 05:58 AM
My cars at an independant garage so see how much it will be. Got a ford warrenty when I bought the car second hand, they paid out last time but they wont pay out this time saying its "Driver Missuse". Not happy.
Jim

The Dogfather
22nd August 2006, 06:02 AM
Jim, ask them to put it in writing, pay for the work to be carried out then take ford through the small claims court.

You'll need evidence that there is a weakness with the gearboxes in order to show that there's no driver misuse. I'm sure plenty on here would back up your claims and there's always the other place (mini2.com)

james f
22nd August 2006, 06:32 AM
^^ what he said its a known issue dont let them fog you off

Kosta
22nd August 2006, 06:53 AM
the getrag Cooper box isnt a straight swap for a midland box.... you need the box, the driveshafts are different sizes, clutch, gear linkage etc.

sleepyrascal
22nd August 2006, 07:11 AM
Jim.... my car was well out of warranty when my box packed in. However, as it is a known fault, BMW agreed to pay half. I thought they should have paid it all, but thats life.

At least the current box has a 2 year warranty..

bpirie1000
22nd August 2006, 04:55 PM
List so Far.

1 Jim(J7JGW)
2. Ewan(Sleepyrascal)
3. Brizeeee(Bpirie1000)
4. Martin
5. Craig D
6. Charlie Croaker
7. Gerry
8. Stone.

Anymore folk wanting to get something off their chest with relation to Gearboxes.......

Sheilz
24th August 2006, 07:59 AM
I hate the reverse crunch and putting it into first before hand doesn't always work. So add me to the list as well.

james f
24th August 2006, 09:52 AM
my gear knob broke the moment to the day and hour my warrnaty ran out :eek:

jayex
24th August 2006, 03:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

I hate the reverse crunch and putting it into first before hand doesn't always work. So add me to the list as well.

me too, mine is pretty bad , sticking and crunching - they just feel..... well, a bit crap really :dead:

minimadtez
24th August 2006, 04:53 PM
You can add my name to that list.....I thought a 2001 car would have less problems than my 1971 mini.....hmmmm I may have been wrong!

Thats an exaggeration, ive had silly problems, wiper motor etc.....but my cars also on its second gearbox.

Reverse is 'crunchy' on it too, which is annoying but you get used to knowing when its going to crunch so you can avoid it more. I went for the cheaper option and bought a second hand gearbox off ebay for £120. I'm having no problems with it so far, so fingers crossed.

bpirie1000
24th August 2006, 05:08 PM
well 2nd gearbox is in and Seams Fine But I'll go touch wood.

Anymore for any more??