PDA

View Full Version : Using an i-Tune track as a ringtone.

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2006, 09:28 AM
I've downloaded a track from i-Tune's that I want to use as a ring tone on my new mobile.

I've paired my phone with the PC and I've installed the Nokia PC Suite software which is pretty cool.

The i-Tunes track is in m4p format. I've copied it to the phone but the phone is having non of it! I figure I need to convert the m4p track to something more sensible like mp3 or wav or something.

Does anyone know how I can do this. I've paid for the track, so I would like to think it's mine to use on my phone if I so wish??? But how?

Any help appreciated.:D

A.:D

The Dogfather
21st August 2006, 04:21 PM
You can't convert it directly, you must first write it to CD as a normal music CD track. Then import it back in as a MP3.

This disables the copy protection, but you have to be really careful some people on the site are a bit touchy about this sort of thing :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

;)

Gismo
21st August 2006, 04:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
You can't convert it directly, you must first write it to CD as a normal music CD trackWhat he says, also, use a recordable disk, that'll save you wasting a whole disk for one track ;)

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2006, 05:46 PM

You can't convert it directly, you must first write it to CD as a normal music CD track. Then import it back in as a MP3.

This disables the copy protection, but you have to be really careful some people on the site are a bit touchy about this sort of thing :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

;)

Cheers Paul. I'll give that a try.

No real reason for anyone to be touchy if they've paid for the track in the first place and they're not copying it to 10,000 CD's to sell at the local Sunday market.:D:D;)

Allan, recordable DVD's come in at 25p a pop these days. Wasting one disc for one track doesn't bother me in the least.;)

Cheers.

MartinSullivan
21st August 2006, 05:54 PM
So if I have paid to watch a film in the cinema...... ;)

Gismo
21st August 2006, 08:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
Alan, recordable DVD's come in at 25p a pop these days. Wasting one disc for one track doesn't bother me in the least.;)
Thought you might have had one lying about ;)

GAJ
21st August 2006, 08:32 PM
No need to copy it to DVD, a CD would be fine. I think Alan meant use a re-writable.:)

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2006, 08:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Whats your point, man:question:

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2006, 08:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Alan, recordable DVD's come in at 25p a pop these days. Wasting one disc for one track doesn't bother me in the least.;)
Thought you might have had one lying about ;)

Use them for HD DV backups.:approve:

GAJ
21st August 2006, 08:34 PM

Hook, line & sinker!:p

Gismo
21st August 2006, 08:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
No need to copy it to DVD, a CD would be fine. I think Alan meant use a re-writable.:)Yep :approve:

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2006, 08:35 PM

No need to copy it to DVD, a CD would be fine. I think Alan meant use a re-writable.:)

I Yeah, I figured that. I'm just too lazy to go buy a re-writable disc:eek:. I have a stack of recordable DVD's anyway - for HD DV backups.:D

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2006, 08:38 PM
I'll need to try this when I get home, but I'm still not convinced the file type will change when I dump it to disc:question::question::question: I am a bit clueless on these things. No Ipod, no MP3 player etc. I just don't listen to that much music to make it worth while. So I'm not very clued up on the whole file conversion thing. Will putting onto a recordable disc from iTunes automatically change the file type? Or do I need to specifically ask it to change it when it records it?

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2006, 08:56 PM

Hook, line & sinker!:p

B*ST*RDS. THE LOT OF YOU!:D:D:D:D;)

GAJ
21st August 2006, 09:25 PM

I'll need to try this when I get home, but I'm still not convinced the file type will change when I dump it to disc:question::question::question: I am a bit clueless on these things. No Ipod, no MP3 player etc. I just don't listen to that much music to make it worth while. So I'm not very clued up on the whole file conversion thing. Will putting onto a recordable disc from iTunes automatically change the file type? Or do I need to specifically ask it to change it when it records it?

You need to write it to a CD as a standard, non-compressed music file (AIFF). iTunes allows you to do this, I think it is labeled 'Burn Music CD', then re-import this track from the CD you have just created, but this time as an mp3. You will have to check your settings in iTunes to ensure that you do not import as an mp4a again. I think this option is in Settings/Advanced.

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2006, 09:27 PM

You need to write it to a CD as a standard, non-compressed music file (AIFF). iTunes allows you to do this, I think it is labeled 'Burn Music CD', then re-import this track from the CD you have just created, but this time as an mp3. You will have to check your settings in iTunes to ensure that you do not import as an mp4a again. I think this option is in Settings/Advanced.

OK. Cheers Gaj. I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.:)

The Dogfather
21st August 2006, 09:55 PM
Yup, I meant what GAJ said!

N12 JLK
22nd August 2006, 12:55 AM

I've downloaded a track from i-Tune's that I want to use as a ring tone on my new mobile.

Why download Bucks Fizz "making your mind up" as a ring tone:question:;)

The Dogfather
22nd August 2006, 01:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK

Why download Bucks Fizz "making your mind up" as a ring tone:question:;)

Nah, its the birdy song:evil::p

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2006, 01:52 AM
Actually, it's a Nina Simone track. Sinnerman (Felix da Housecat's Heavenly House Mix). Ultra cool track.:D

Who said I don't have style?:D:D

AeroJonny
22nd August 2006, 02:43 AM
I normally just make a copy of the track and change the file type by changing the '.mp4' part to '.mp3'. andy, if you want me to have a bash i can try ;)

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2006, 02:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

I normally just make a copy of the track and change the file type by changing the '.mp4' part to '.mp3'. andy, if you want me to have a bash i can try ;)

Cheers for the help Jonathan. The strange thing (to me) is that the iTunes track is called an m4p. Not an mp4. But I'll try simply changing the filetype. If that works it the simplest way to fix the problem.

Smitty
22nd August 2006, 04:26 AM

quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

Cheers for the help Jonathan. The strange thing (to me) is that the iTunes track is called an m4p. Not an mp4. But I'll try simply changing the filetype. If that works it the simplest way to fix the problem.

That wont work guys (well iim pretty sure it wont!). Its all to do with the compression type that used on the file.

That would have the same effect of changing a ".doc" file to ".xls".....confuse the hell out the computer!

I use a program called Jet Audio. Its a rubish Music Player for your PC, but what it does have is a music convertor which converts most types of sound file to Mp3, or vice versa.

Have a look here - Jet Audio Download (http://www.cowonamerica.com/download/). Very handy piece of software to have!

Failing that, burning it to a CD and ripping it back again should work fine

N12 JLK
22nd August 2006, 04:27 AM
Who's Nina Simone:question: as Im just a wee nipper my music taste only goes back 10 years:I

talkingbullsh*teagainjason;)

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2006, 04:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK
talkingbullsh*teagainjason;)

:approve:

Nothing new there then.:D

The Dogfather
22nd August 2006, 04:52 AM
Andy, I've got that track in MP3 format - could email it to you, you already paid for it so...........

The Dogfather
22nd August 2006, 04:54 AM
The m4p is a protected filetype and it won't work.

Andy pm me your email address and I'll send the track.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2006, 04:55 AM

Andy, I've got that track in MP3 format - could email it to you, you already paid for it so...........

Paul, that would be great:D. My conscience is clear. £0.79 paid for the iTunes download so I don't have a problem in using someone else's copy.

I'll PM you my email address.:D

Cheers,

A.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2006, 06:37 AM
Paul, I PM'd you my email address. Did you get it?

The Dogfather
22nd August 2006, 03:49 PM
Don't know as I can't check my emails till I get home........

AeroJonny
22nd August 2006, 07:56 PM
It might be quicker to send it over msn messenger...just an idea!;)

The Dogfather
24th August 2006, 02:04 AM
Andy, it won't send, I think the file size is too large its 5MB.

AndyP & Lenore
24th August 2006, 07:22 AM

Andy, it won't send, I think the file size is too large its 5MB.

No problem Paul.

I'll try the disc thing.;)

AndyP & Lenore
24th August 2006, 08:43 AM
Wayhaaaay! Got it to work.:D:D

Couldn't get the CD idea to work. Must be something I'm doing wrong.:I

So I downloaded a wee program that will convert the track from .m3p to .wav, then another program that converts from .wav to .mp3. Then another wee program that lets me split an mp3 up (I only wanted 30 seconds) and then discovered that Nokia's own software converts everything to .AAC! - Go figure???

So it's uploaded and working fine.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Oh, and to put everyone's mind at rest, the programs were downloaded from www.download.com, and are either free or on limited evaluation.:approve:

Cheers,

Smitty
24th August 2006, 08:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty
Have a look here - Jet Audio Download (http://www.cowonamerica.com/download/). Very handy piece of software to have!

Cough....could had one it all for you....cough!!:D:p:evil: