PDA

View Full Version : Spec a Mini

OBN
21st August 2006, 03:55 AM
HI people I'm new to all this mini stuff, been wanting one for ages, but never got round to it, I've now decided to go for it, stuff being practical. but.....

Help!!! What spec should I be looking to get in a Mini, Going for the Cooper S but I always get carried away with the extras. Anything but the works pack, I'm looking for an economical car!!

stoney
21st August 2006, 03:57 AM
the jcw seats are nice

OBN
21st August 2006, 04:16 AM
Oops sorry think I posted this thread in the wrong topic, just a newbie, apologies people

The Dogfather
21st August 2006, 05:23 AM
Don't worry BS will move it to the correct forum.

I reckon it might be worth waiting for the new S as it'll be a lot more economical, unless of course you're after a super charger :D

stoney
21st August 2006, 05:32 AM
only problem with the new s it stinking !!!!! and if u drive the jcw 2 the speed limits and dont boot it all the time u can get ok mpg on it !!!!! well i went 2 dundee and back in 1/2 a tank last night :)

sedgie
21st August 2006, 05:46 AM
lolol i done the A&B run on a tank in my s...filled up in cumbernauld when it was @the 1/4 ;):D

duncan
21st August 2006, 05:48 AM
The MINI has several option packs, which save quite a bit from specing the parts individually.

Try here (http://ecom.bmwgroup.com/ecom32/GB/MINI/en/pages/vse/index.jsp?process=vse) on the MINI UK site to spec up your own MINI!

X30YES
21st August 2006, 03:10 PM
I might be tempted to wait and get a new mini, unless you run the gauntlet and try and get one from the dealers when the newer version hits the forecourt...(or will they hold back on stock and make it difficult to get hold of till they clear the older model...time will tell)
Chili pack if your going for the Cooper S ...if you like the wheels that is

OBN
21st August 2006, 05:55 PM
Here's the spec I think I'm gonna go for... Cooper S, Hyper Blue, Chilli Pack, Multi-function Steering Wheel, Mirror Caps & Roof in body colour, Heated Mirrors/Washer jets, Chrome-line interior, Visibility pack, 17" s-spoke wheels, Anthracite Interior trim, anthracite roof lining, glass roof, front arm rest, Park distance control, Auto air-con, cockpit chrono package, harman Kardon hi-fi, ipod connector, body colour side skirts, oh and last but not least TLC!

Have I gone overboard, or have I missed anything? Still thinking of switching to the new model but would have to be the Cooper not Cooper S. Too much choice!!

Burple
21st August 2006, 06:01 PM
You could possibly save a wad of cash and get just as good (if not better) quality and volume if you ditch the Harman Kardon and go for a nice aftermarket (even mp3 compatible - with aux input) stereo and replacing the speakers in the car..

..Unless you want to keep it all Mini...
...don't fancy your chances of keeping it modification-free if you hang about here long enough tho!! ;);):D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool:

Welcome aboard!! :D

OBN
21st August 2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome Low, I was trying to keep it all mini though, esp the Radio so that it all works through the multi-function steering wheel.

Marc
21st August 2006, 06:55 PM
I went with the basic stereo and had it changed for a Clarion MP3 player. I saved a lot of money going this route and my multi function steering wheel still works. I think you can get adapters for most of the stereos to enable your multi function to work.

MartinSullivan
21st August 2006, 07:00 PM
Marc is right you can get adapters for most stereos to make them work with the MFSW, check out Mikeytheminis site (www.newministuff.co.uk) for more info. If you dont see the stereo you fancy listed then contact Mikey and he will find you something suitable.

OBN
21st August 2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the tip to Mikey's site... iPod connector for £16 rather than Mini's £200!

OBN
21st August 2006, 08:03 PM
Oops thats just for the bracket!!!, 84 is still cheaper!

Clare1
22nd August 2006, 12:10 AM
If your needing help choosing....

Mini Me
22nd August 2006, 12:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by Clare1

If your needing help choosing....

Try Henry Brothers 0141 33.......lol ;):p:D

Kidding , Clare's the lady,girl....em , sales monkey you want to talk to;););)

OBN
22nd August 2006, 02:02 AM
OK...

Clare.. HELP!!!!!!!

Too much choice.

As for the dealer one thing is for sure, I won't be ordering it from Fairbairn Irvine since the salesman totally F****d me off!

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2006, 02:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by OBN

OK...

Clare.. HELP!!!!!!!

Too much choice.

As for the dealer one thing is for sure, I won't be ordering it from Fairbairn Irvine since the salesman totally F****d me off!

They all do that.:eek:

[Runs and hides];)

OBN
22nd August 2006, 03:22 AM
Even when you book a test drive in a cooper and cooper S back to back a week in advance, you call before setting off to the dealers to confirm that both cars are available.

So when you arrive at the dealers after half an hour drive there, his first words are "It'll need to be a quick drive in each car down to the roundabout and back"

Grrrrr, you've no idea how pee'd off that made me, even when i walked out and told him he'd wasted my time the w***** had the nerve to thank me for wasting my time!!

Phew glad I got that off my chest!

Kosta
22nd August 2006, 04:19 AM
When i ordered mine... Bowker MINI in Preston, Sunny England (about 300+ miles away from you lot lol) the salesman was awesome. I tried a different dealership, but the sales bod there was really arrogant and disinterested in my custom!

Coop
22nd August 2006, 06:58 AM
Back to topic..........:D

The HK stereo is great but if you can be bothered with the hassle you will prob get better for the same money.

And I wouldn't bother with parking distance control - the rear overhang is about 1/2 inch!!!!! :p

OBN
23rd August 2006, 07:29 PM
The best laid plans of Mice and wannabe Mini drivers...

Went to dealers yesterday to order the car, only to be told no further orders are being taken for the current Cooper S. Dealer search the system for one that would be suitable that was available to no joy.

So my choice is to search for a nearly new Cooper S as close as possible to my spec, or stick a £500 deposit down and order a new Cooper sight unseen. My only problem is... no-one knows how much it will be to spec a new Cooper without leaving any blank buttons or switches.

I thought buying a Mini would be easy!

ianking
23rd August 2006, 09:20 PM
Go on the minicherised web site and search about on it. Im sure if you found the car you wanted then the dealer would delive rit to you if you done the deal over the phone.

Kosta
24th August 2006, 01:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by OBN

The best laid plans of Mice and wannabe Mini drivers...

Went to dealers yesterday to order the car, only to be told no further orders are being taken for the current Cooper S. Dealer search the system for one that would be suitable that was available to no joy.

So my choice is to search for a nearly new Cooper S as close as possible to my spec, or stick a £500 deposit down and order a new Cooper sight unseen. My only problem is... no-one knows how much it will be to spec a new Cooper without leaving any blank buttons or switches.

I thought buying a Mini would be easy!

What sort of spec were you after?

The dealer i ordered mine from had a couple of Unregistered ones a couple of weeks ago.

OBN
24th August 2006, 03:09 AM
Spec @ the start of this thread. I had them look through all available stock yesterday but nothing suitable.

Kosta
24th August 2006, 05:51 AM
They had a Hyper Blue S sat outside unregistered. It wasnt allocated to anyone either. Must've gone now though.