PDA

View Full Version : Web browsers in phones.

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 06:18 AM
I am fed up with my O2 MINI s phone and want to change maybe back to a Nokia.

Does anyone know if the web browser which comes packaged with the N series phones is any good? Does it act like a normal browser? And most importantly, can you log in to newminiscotland with it?

Looking at a Nokia N80. It uses the Symbian S60 smartphone software.

A.

Neil and Lorna
17th August 2006, 06:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

I am fed up with my O2 MINI s phone and want to change maybe back to a Nokia.

Does anyone know if the web browser which comes packaged with the N series phones is any good? Does it act like a normal browser? And most importantly, can you log in to newminiscotland with it?

Looking at a Nokia N80. It uses the Symbian S60 smartphone software.

A.

Would it not be better to ask a 14 year old that type of question.:D:D:D;););)

Neil.

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 06:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Neil and Lorna
Would it not be better to ask a 14 year old that type of question.:D:D:D;););)

Neil.

Plenty 14 year old (minds) on here.:D

Moonshine
17th August 2006, 07:32 AM
Hang on a mo and i'll let you know about newminiscotland (om my orange N70). The N70 uses symbian S60 OS

Gerry

sleepyrascal
17th August 2006, 07:41 AM
I have the new Sony Ericsson K800i. What a MACHINE. 3G and very quick internet speed. I can log into NMS no bother, and I recently used it for bidding on Ebay when I was away from home.

It also has a sexual 3.2 mega pixel camera, and it uses the stupidly small sony micro memory card. I have the 1 gig card in my phone at the mo. Its less than a quarter of the size of a sim card. GRRRREAT!

Moonshine
17th August 2006, 07:41 AM
not having much joy at the moment, but Opera is a free download for the N70 (S60), and should allow access to any web page - i'm installing now as i type and will report back.

www.opera.com

Gerry

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 07:47 AM
Really appreciate the feedback on this guys.

Moonshine, I'd be really interested to hear about how you get on with Opera.

Sleepy, do you know what OS your phone uses?

Moonshine
17th August 2006, 07:58 AM
first impressions of opera are very good. NMS appears as on pc and this message is from the mobile. G

edit from the PC now as my text typing is rubbush!

Opera looked good - all the pics on the sigs are there in full glory - a bit awkward because of the screen size - a lot od scrolling down to get to the right bit - but i think that is a problem on any smal sreen - Deffo much better than the bundled web browser. recommended.

Gerry

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 08:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Moonshine

first impressions of opera are very good. NMS appears as on pc and this message is from the mobile. G

OOOOOohhhh. Me likes the sound of that.

But I was just looking at the phone Sleepy has bought and - blow me - if it isn't the very same phone two of my mates have just bought. Didn't even realise it has a web browser in it. Love that multi-pic taking slide show thingy it does. Great for analysing my golf swing.

But I really like Nokia's too.

Oooo. Decisions, decisions.:question::question::question:

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 08:06 AM
Appreciate your input Gerry. Many thanks.:D:D:approve::approve:

sleepyrascal
17th August 2006, 08:28 AM
the k800i uses netFront browser.

Yes smartPic is really cool. I havn't had any problems with the phone yet, although I was a bit peeved to see that the navigation thumb stick from the k750i is also used on the 800. It is famous for gettig clogged up and not working properly. Perhaps the stick has been revised for the 800 but only time will tell.

I stay loyal to Sony mostly because I use sony memory cards. Whip out the card, chuck it in your laptop, up/download photos, ringtones, games, movies etc etc. And with over a Gig of emory available, its the terriers! I use my phone for work too for transferring documents or whatever from computer to computer. I also like having a decent sony cybershot camera in my pocket at all times!

When I did my final presentation for uni when i graduated, I had all my powerpoint stuff, videos, sound etc all stored on the phone mem card.

The one thing I dont like about the nokia is the lack of a decent memory card facility. Also, a friend of mine has the N80 and said it runs really slow. The transition for me from nokia to sony was a bit slow. But now i'm a sony man, i find nokias strange.

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 08:36 AM
Cheers Sleepy,

TBH, I don't really use the camera in a phone much. Mind you, thats probably because I've only ever had crap camera's in phones. 3.2MP should take an awsome picture.

But its the web browsing facility which is more important than anything. And a calendar/diary/appointment facility.:D

duncan
17th August 2006, 08:43 AM
I've used the N70 since it first came out, and use the standard web browser on that very frequently.

Pages like BBC Mobile are cut down versions of the full BBC site, and are quick to download, although, if your not in a 3G site they do tend to be quite slow. The PDA version involves much more scrolling, and yes, i've posted on NMS before using it.

When Vodafone had the free trial for mobile TV, it was excellent.

As for Memory, MMC cards are dirt cheap, compared with the Sony ones.
The N70 came with the basic office programmes as well, but the synchronisation with MS Outlook is the best feature.

The only thing I dislike about the N70 is the slider for the camera, which takes off the keypad lock when slid open, and makes it easy to dial numbers inadvertently.

Its really down to personal choice at the end of the day.

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 08:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

....The only thing I dislike about the N70 is the slider for the camera, which takes off the keypad lock when slid open, and makes it easy to dial numbers inadvertently.

Thats one of the things that worries me a little. 'Cos I always keep my phone in my pocket. And I can see it sliding open and calling Lenore's brother in the USA.

Good report though Duncan, cheers.:approve:

Scottie
17th August 2006, 04:54 PM
I've had the N70 and looked at the Sony what ever it is.

Wouldn't have any on them they are no good.:(

BUT

Perhaps it's a age thing I don't know:I but the keypads are to dam small and when on the move I don't always have my glasses at hand.:I

When I look at phones it is all about ease of use on the keypad for me. got to say the mini is the best so far but some blackberrys are not to bad the mini executive looks good.

Scottie
17th August 2006, 04:57 PM
also on the N70 that bit that slides up and round the bit that wraps around the phone it really go on my nerves.

anyway

check this site out www.shopforphones.co.uk excellent site it's what I refer to anytime I am thinking about changing phones.

GAJ
17th August 2006, 05:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

I have the new Sony Ericsson K800i. What a MACHINE. 3G and very quick internet speed. I can log into NMS no bother, and I recently used it for bidding on Ebay when I was away from home.

It also has a sexual 3.2 mega pixel camera, and it uses the stupidly small sony micro memory card. I have the 1 gig card in my phone at the mo. Its less than a quarter of the size of a sim card. GRRRREAT!

Me too! Highly recommended!

lightbody
17th August 2006, 07:15 PM
Opera Mini is available for tons of mobiles. Are you sure you cant just install it on your current phone?

http://mini.opera.com/

I use it on my K750i and it works well. I do banking, webmail and general surfing no bother at all. A few times it has been a lifesaver.

Gismo
17th August 2006, 07:30 PM
How much does it cost to surf the web with these fancy phones :I

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Opera Mini is available for tons of mobiles. Are you sure you cant just install it on your current phone?

http://mini.opera.com/

I use it on my K750i and it works well. I do banking, webmail and general surfing no bother at all. A few times it has been a lifesaver.

I probably could but to be honest, I don't need to. I have pocket Internet Explorer on my phone just now and I can surf almost everywhere.:approve: That's not the problem. The problem is I am really fed up with the phone. Texting is a nightmare. And I send texts like a rabid teenager. Sometimes 20 or 30 a day. And every time its a two-handed affair, using the bloody stylus thing in one hand and the phone in the other:(. The only thing the phone is good for is the IE issue. Being able to surf on all sites is more important to me than a 3.2MP camera. But it seems both these functions come as standard on both phones.:approve:

Off to Carphone Whorehouse and Phones4u this afternoon to get my hands on a couple of phones. Also hoping they will assist with me buying out my old contract.:D

Also hate O2. The signal at home is frikking awful. And even out and about it drops out constantly. That may be a phone fault, but I'm way passed looking into getting it fixed. Just want to ditch the thing.:eek:

It's driving Lenore nuts:D. She's had the same phone for 2 years and can't understand why I have this overwhelming need to change my phone every 9 months to a year.:clown: Wimen:eek:;)

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2006, 07:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

How much does it cost to surf the web with these fancy phones :I

On a non-3G phone you're charged by the kilobyte. To be honest, I don't know the exact figures, but when I'm, not on holiday and have access to PC's I spend maybe 2 hours a week online surfing. And my bill usually comes to about £2 or £3 per month for web surfing. You can pay for a bulk amount up front which would be cheaper, but I don't tend to need that. But when I'm on holiday (away from PC's), I surf for a couple of hours a day for 2 weeks and that usually adds about £30 to the bill.

A.

Scottie
17th August 2006, 07:50 PM
www.onspeed.com is good / better than explorer on mobile phone fo just 24.99 a year you get x5 faster

stoney
17th August 2006, 11:44 PM
i have found o2 to be the best as i travel all over scotland for work

used 2 have orange and it was s**t

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 12:41 AM
Went in looking for a N80 or a K800i. Wasn't keen on either.

Ended up going for a Nokia 6233. I'm just hoping the web browser is good enough to let me surf, especially NMS. The sales guy was pretty sure it will.

Arriving at the store tomorrow, so will know soon.:D

A.

duncan
18th August 2006, 12:55 AM
You do know that surfing NMS on a mobile phone is proof positive of a serious addiction problem :eek:;):p

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 01:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

You do know that surfing NMS on a mobile phone is proof positive of a serious addiction problem :eek:;):p

Yes.:I

I'm trying to kick it, but if I spend more than a couple of hours away from the site, my hands start shaking, I start shouting at Lenore. I loose my friends and my life just seems to spiral out of control. Quick check on Active Topics Since Last Logon and I feel good as new. My head gets dizzy, the hands stop shaking and I just feel like I'm floating, you know what I mean. Life is good, man!:D:D:D

PACMAN
18th August 2006, 01:39 AM
oh dear :eek:

maybe a straight jacket will do the trick :clown:

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 01:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

oh dear :eek:

maybe a straight jacket will do the trick :clown:

NOPE! Voice commands.:D

Next?;)

PACMAN
18th August 2006, 01:46 AM
Gagged ;)

Next :D

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 01:49 AM

Gagged ;)

Next :D

I'll get Lenore to do it for me.:D

Next;)

PACMAN
18th August 2006, 01:53 AM
she wouldn't understand what you are saying if your gagged :D

or is there something your not tell us :eek::blackeye:;)

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 01:57 AM
She would just look at my wide open eyes, see the mad frustration and automatically know I need to surf NMS.:D

PACMAN
18th August 2006, 02:02 AM
ah.... so i need to get the blindfold as well :eek::p:blackeye::D

PS - Black blindfold so that the red frustation eye wouldn't shine thru :evil:

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 02:13 AM

ah.... so i need to get the blindfold as well :eek::p:blackeye::D

PS - Black blindfold so that the red frustation eye wouldn't shine thru :evil:

LOL:D

PACMAN
18th August 2006, 02:18 AM
i think i've cover all avenue now ..... :D

:evil:

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 02:22 AM

i think i've cover all avenue now ..... :D

Pretty much. I have to admit defeat. Surfing while bound, gagged and blindfolded would be tricky.

Got it! ESP!!!:D

PACMAN
18th August 2006, 02:26 AM
mmmm .... ah ..fit you with a lead helmet to block the waves :D

Neil and Lorna
18th August 2006, 02:36 AM
howdy peeps just checking i can post from my mobile.

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 02:38 AM

Nope. Didin't work Neil.;););):D

I pick up my new mobile tomorrow. Will let you know the temp number as soon as it is up and runing.

A.

PACMAN
18th August 2006, 02:40 AM
doh .... you bet me too it :disapprove:

Neil and Lorna
18th August 2006, 03:14 AM

It worked.

Downloaded onspeed mobile.

Its a bit tricky trying to read posts but at least I got in to NMS.

Neil.:D:D:D

Scottie
18th August 2006, 03:23 AM

Ended up going for a Nokia 6233. I'm just hoping the web browser is good enough to let me surf, especially NMS. The sales guy was pretty sure it will.

A.

two or three of the managers at my work have this phone.

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 03:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

A.

two or three of the managers at my work have this phone.

Is it any good?:I8)

Scottie
18th August 2006, 03:56 AM
they use them mainly for calls and e-mails although the big wig says it good for web and stuff.

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 04:16 AM

they use them mainly for calls and e-mails although the big wig says it good for web and stuff.

Phew. 'Cos I'm buying this phone on the strength of the information from the phone salesman, which is not always a good idea. But they didn't have a fully active sim card to throw in to use for web browsing on their shop sim, so I am kinda weary.

Should be ok though. Done lots of surfing for info on it and it seems to fare up not too bad on surfing.

Really nice phone too. And I know of someone else on NMS who;s just bought one.

Ha, we'll be phone buddies.:D Oh dear.:(

Scottie
18th August 2006, 04:26 AM
will it pair and downloaded your phone book ok with the X5 did you check.

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 04:37 AM

will it pair and downloaded your phone book ok with the X5 did you check.

Havent checked, but I'm pretty sure it will. Nokia's seem to be pretty popular with BMW for this. If it doesn't it's not the end of the world. I don't use the system very often anyway, except on long drives.

I'm actually hoping it will sync even better than the O2 MINI s did, and I hope I get SMS's also. Never did with the O2.

A:D

Gismo
18th August 2006, 06:51 PM
Hmm, that phones window looks tiny :eek: are you saying it has good internet viewing :question:

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 07:48 PM

Hmm, that phones window looks tiny :eek: are you saying it has good internet viewing :question:

It's not that much smaller than my O2 MINI s is. Obviously it's a bit smaller but as long as I can see the posts I'll be a happy chappy.:D

Gismo
18th August 2006, 08:06 PM
It's not that much smaller than my O2 MINI s is. Obviously it's a bit smaller but as long as I can see the posts I'll be a happy chappy.:DWasn't being bitchy :I just didn't see how you could see the posts easily, especially with the huge sigs on the go :p;):D

Moonshine
18th August 2006, 08:20 PM

just didn't see how you could see the posts easily, especially with the huge sigs on the go :p;):D

with Opera, you can disable the pictures, so the sigs don't show if you dont want them to, and it speeds up loading time.

G

Gismo
18th August 2006, 08:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Moonshine
with Opera, you can disable the pictures, so the sigs don't show if you dont want them to, and it speeds up loading time.
Ah, i knew that :I:D

Big Col
18th August 2006, 08:41 PM
You could also just do it from your profile setting. :)

Scottie
18th August 2006, 10:50 PM
with onspeed it's just as fast as broadband and the sig resize.

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2006, 11:17 PM
This is being posted from my new 6233 mobile. Allan (bonnie scotland) the screen is small but very clear. Happy bunny.:D

Craig
19th August 2006, 12:03 AM
nice to know.... mine hopefully arrives at the beginning of the week... :approve::approve:

AndyP & Lenore
19th August 2006, 07:55 AM
Wee update for anyone who's been following this thread...

As you'll see from my earlier post, I did get the new phone accessing the full Internet. I downloaded OnSpeed and Opera Mini. Opera is a free program and appears to be absolutely identical to OnSpeed, which costs £24.99 per year. I would ditch OnSpeed because I really can't see any difference in them aside from the colours they use for menu's etc. However, I spent a good couple of hours trying to get the phone to access the Internet using anything other than the crappy browser that comes with the phone.

I did call Orange and they gave the exact answer I thought they would: "We can't assist you with running third party software on OUR phone. If you insist on running software that can't possibly be as good as ours then best-o-luck te ya, ya daft sh!te!!!" Big help.:(

To cut a very long story short, you have to set proxy settings manually and activate the proxy's and all sorts of techno-babble bullsh!t which I don't understand, but was able to follow a set of instructions on the web. If anyone gets one of these phones I can point you to where the settings are listed, but don't blame me if your phone melts in your hand.;)

It has the usual intuitive Nokia menu system which is much more configurable than my O2 MINI s , letting me set different profiles with ease. A decent camera (2MP),a really good keypad and a very clear and bright screen.:D

All-in-all, a great dinky phone (compared to my MINI s).

A.:D

Edit> Oh aye! It does pair with the X5 too. Contacts all available and call facilities. But it doesn't seem to give me my SMS's. Unless I'm doing something wrong, 'cos I've never had that facility yet anyway.:I

Scottie
19th August 2006, 08:03 AM
got disagree on the onspeed point. Use it on my phone and on dial up at Larbert really makes a big difference for me anyway.

from memory think the motorola phones are best for sms with the X5.

How easy are the buttons use.??

Can you set the text type large on the screen. ??

AndyP & Lenore
19th August 2006, 08:21 AM

got disagree on the onspeed point. Use it on my phone and on dial up at Larbert really makes a big difference for me anyway.

from memory think the motorola phones are best for sms with the X5.

How easy are the buttons use.??

Can you set the text type large on the screen. ??

I did some speed comparisons with Opera and OnSpeed. They both loaded the same page in exactly the same time. Sometimes Opera was about half a second quicker! Fi, I honestly think they are the same program with different branding. They both work on the same principles - their server looks at the page you want, compresses it and chucks it down to you in tiny wee chunks.

The buttons are great. Because it's black the white numbers/letters realyl stand out.

The text is small. I have it set to the mid-size, the small size is almost unreadable and the big size would annoy me 'cos it would cause too much scrolling even though it's still not huge. You can have a looky-see on the Borders Run.:D

AndyP & Lenore
19th August 2006, 08:22 AM
Should have said: The beauty is, you can set different text sizes for Contacts, Messaging and Web.:D

Scottie
20th August 2006, 06:17 AM
like the idea of setting large text so I can use on the move without my glasses.:I

jayex
21st August 2006, 04:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

got one too and a have to agree its pretty good, it was a N80 i went in for but came out with the Sony Ericsson :cool:- only thing is i think its a wee bit too chunky - not seen the Nokia 6233 but it sounds like a smashing wee phone too :cool: