PDA

View Full Version : Runflats!

jamiec
16th August 2006, 10:14 PM
Had one of my runflats come of the rim yesterday :eek: Pulled away to hear a banging noise from the front left wheel, went back home and looked out to horror!
Took the car to tyre centre to learn the runflat had been flat for well over 50 miles :mad: No indication came on inside the cabin.
Car is going to Harry (nobody at servicing is availiable to take your call just now) Fairbairns next week to get this sorted. Has anyone else had a fault like this? Quite worrying as I wasn't sticking to the 50mph limit set. Imagine a blow out on the motorway :dead:

duncan
16th August 2006, 11:02 PM
The runflat indicator only picks up a change in rotational speed, caused by lower pressure in one of the tyres.
If all of the tyres have deflated at the same rate, the RFI can't pick up the difference.

Craig
17th August 2006, 12:21 AM
also I was told that it cannot detect a gradual deflation, only a sudden drop in pressure. 2 of my sisters tyres were at 4 psi on her last car and she never got so much as a "bing" from the RFI.

that's why I use normal tyres... :approve::approve: RF's are rubbish ;)

Sweeney
17th August 2006, 12:23 AM
if my tyres are a few psi above or below i can tell just by how its driving :p

ianking
17th August 2006, 12:25 AM
I had a tyre come partially of the wheel on my 1 series. It got a punture and the warning indicator came on. I drove for about 2 miles at 40mph before the tyre started to come off. I agree Craig, runflats = shi*e. Ive just this minute ordered 2 new tyres for my bullet wheels and I went for normal tyres, that was also the recomendation from the tyre centre I go to.

jamiec
17th August 2006, 12:48 AM
I did think something was up with the tyre at that side but tyre felt firm to touch. Having not known what is said above about the rfi I always assumed if the light didn't come on and tyres didnt feel or look flat it was ok.

But got to agree with the general opinion that runflats are ghey.

duncan
17th August 2006, 01:12 AM
Even with all the faults that the runflats seem to have, i'll take the Runflats all the time.
Driving on for upto 50 miles can be enough to get you out of trouble.

gill
17th August 2006, 03:26 AM
Don't you check your tyres every week faithfully anyway :eek: (like me, who doesn't either;)).

You still have to be careful even with the RF's on, but unlucky!:(

illegalhunter
17th August 2006, 03:32 PM
dont go to fairbairns they are mince

Duncan Stewart
18th August 2006, 12:14 AM
Would be even better if they would offer normal spare tyre then you could drive safely for as long as you like :approve: and not have your day ruined :evil:
I've had my runflat light come on but all the tyre pressures are fine! (I use non runflat tyres)

Sweeney
18th August 2006, 12:31 AM
I think i'll stick to rf's when possible, anything that saves me having to get out and change a wheel has to be good :D

CooperTrooper
18th August 2006, 12:42 AM
the whole runflat thing is a con

I go to liverpool n newcastle alternate weeks and the way i see it is : if i get a pucture in a run flat when im 300miles from home, im gonna have to buy a new tyre down there - at a cost of £130 at the very least.

With the normal tyres i now have I only have to pay £60ish, and dont forget with low profiles tyres if you *really* have to, you can limp a few miles home off the m/way etc if your careful.

so for me run flats just far too ££££££:disapprove:

Sheilz
24th August 2006, 11:18 PM
I've just had to replace a tyre due to gaping hole after Munro attempted to inflate what we took to be just a flat tyre. If the tyre had been non-runflat it may have blown when I was on the M90 with kids in the car on Saturday. For me the disadvantages of these tyres are insignificant compared to the added safety they give. When it comes to the extra cost its as nothing to that of a funeral! (I am in jolly spirits today!)